2004 Subaru Impreza Consumer Review: A Legend in the making

2004 Subaru Impreza - Consumer Review

WRX STi Sedan (2.5L 4-cyl. Turbo AWD 6-speed Manual w/Silver-Painted Wheels)

A Legend in the making
By fuzzydude on

2004 Subaru Impreza WRX STi AWD 4dr Sedan w/Silver-Painted Wheels (2.5L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

Previous car was a 5.0 V8 Mustang and I can say this car obliterates it in terms of performance. The STI has a far better balance of incredible peformance bang for buck. I believe this car will stand tall in the Hall of Fame of Japanese performance vehicles along with supercars like the Supra. Handling is porsche-like, braking is so strong its painful, and acceleration is everything a horsepower nut could want. After 17,000 miles in 90-100 degree weather I am very impressed with the Honda-like quality of this vehicle. Its also much faster than any Mitsu Evo I've come across. Mark my words, it is a legend to-be. It's the '69 Camaro of the future.

Favorite Features

Acceleration, braking, handling, full seats, 4 airbags standard, spacious trunk, excellent mileage (if you keep your foot of the gas). Transmission is almost too good to be true, the softest shifting 6 speed yet strongest feeling tranny ever! Did I mention adjustable f/r torque distribution?

Suggested Improvements

I wish Subaru would keep the 2004 exactly as it was, but alas, they added more weight and didn't help much with a weaker helical front diff in '05. Other than wider wheels, the handling improvements are non-existent and the wing is still as oversized as ever.