2004 Subaru Impreza Consumer Review: My Colorado Car

2004 Subaru Impreza - Consumer Review

WRX Wagon (2.0L 4-cyl. Turbo AWD 5-speed Manual)

My Colorado Car
By RonK on

2004 Subaru Impreza WRX AWD 4dr Sport Wagon (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

After moving to Colorado recently, I parted with my 2002 Jeep Wrangler to seek a more cost-efficient source of transportation that would also do well in the Rockies. After driving SUV's over the past ten years, I settled on my first "car" in a decade. It was a Subaru Outback Sport Wagon, and I drove it for a year and loved it. It carried my dog , bikes, snowboards, and camping gear all year with aplomb in all manner of weather. A raise in my salary coincided with a WRX test drive, and back I went to the dealership. What I got was the same, solid Subaru Boxer- powered vehicle with 25%+ more power, and incredible handling. Fantastic car!

The power baby...the power. It's also a very solidly built vehicle, and it feels that way on the road. Confidence inspiring brakes and handling are nice.

I want the 2.5L motor with a milder tuned turbo, a la the new Forester. I miss the Outback Sport's around-town torque if anything. Give me back some of the displacement (ie. "oomph"), and balance it with some additional top- end :-)