2004 Subaru Impreza Consumer Review: Good car with some flaws

2004 Subaru Impreza - Consumer Review

2.5 Wagon (2.5L 4-cyl. AWD 5-speed Manual)

Good car with some flaws
By Peter on

2004 Subaru Impreza 2.5 TS AWD 4dr Sport Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

I bought it because I wanted something practical (wagon), safe (AWD), fun to drive (manual, turbo), reliable (made in Japan) and reasonably priced (slightly over $21K). I have owned the car for almost 3 years (33K miles). Overall it has been a pleasant experience. Fuel economy is decent (on average about 26 mpg). The car is kind of sluggish off the line tough (turbo lag), and even once the turbo kicks in it does not appear to deliver advertised acceleration. My major gripes pertain to the gear box and paint quality. First I got grinding while shifting into the 5th gear. Now I am getting occasional grind while shifting into the 1st. Paint is very week - millions of chips on the hood and fenders.

Very good handling and traction. Good interior design. Nice seats. Turbo.

Extremely crappy gear box - I am not abusing the car, yet have constant problems (grinding, difficulty with shifting). In addition, the shifts are very notchy. Low paint quality. Low grade speakers. Disappointing dealer service - refuse to acknowledge problems and perform warranty repairs.