Used 2004 Subaru Impreza Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2004 Subaru Impreza - Consumer Reviews

2004 Subaru Impreza Sedan

View reviews for a specific Impreza model:

WRX falls short of both 2.5RS and STi
By Patick2730

2004 Subaru Impreza Sedan WRX AWD 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

The WRX is a very poor day-to-day performer. If you simply want a smooth- driving AWD car, get the 2.5RS. If you want the AWD and the POWER, get the WRX STi. In poor weather any Impreza model is a blast to drive with the AWD system. However you will get extremely frustrated by the lack of responsiveness in the WRX 2L turbo engine. Crusing in normal traffic, you literally have to wait a second and a half after going WOT before the ECU allows the turbo to make full boost and the car gets moving like expected. At any rpm below 3K the car cannot get out of its own way. Also, first gear boost is limited to a measly 7psi, so off-the- line starts are not as quick as you are led to believe.

Favorite Features

AWD system

Suggested Improvements

Even the basic modifications that are available in the aftermarket would make the WRX more drivable and responsive, but Subaru will be so quick to void your warranty if you do so, your head will spin.

great car
By ChrisG22

2004 Subaru Impreza Sedan WRX AWD 4dr Sedan w/Premium Package(2.0L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

This is a great car. I've owned an Acura Integra, Honda prelude, chevy cavalier, and this is BY FAR the best car I have ever driven. that's all.

Favorite Features

So many standard features!! AWD turbo rocks though.

Great car
By Josh

2004 Subaru Impreza Sedan WRX AWD 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

This was my "realistic" dream car thanks to the FIA WRC. I've had it for 2 years now and still love every second I'm behind the wheel on it. The only problems I've had with it are that the paint is kinda weak and a bulb in my headlight and two in my taillights have gone out. Engine wise, it hits 6,000rpms or more at least once a day and has done so happily. There is a very minor occasional squeak on really rough potholed roads but 99% of the time it is squeakless. Build quality is excellent. The AWD is fantastic. I would recommend this car to anyone that loves to drive.

Favorite Features

Turbocharged boxer engine, excellent handling, AWD traction, great resale value, reliable, decent gas mileage.

Suggested Improvements

Weak paint, boring interior, seats aren't comfortable on long trips, cupholder for large drinks is positioned horribly above the stereo head unit and is flimsier than I would like.

A complete review through 120,000 miles
By 2004ILWRX

2004 Subaru Impreza Sedan WRX AWD 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 4A)

A fun and safe vehicle that has been for the most part very reliable. A blessing to drive one of these in IL winter. Problems that I've had: Tend to go through car battery every 2 years. Engine serpentine belt pulley/tensioner replaced at 80K Engine short block replaced at 115k ($elf induced) Paint is very thin and prone to chips. On average I get 22.4 mpg with includes a good mixture of highway and local driving.

Favorite Features

AWD handling Turbo!

Suggested Improvements

Improve cup holder placement and qty. Improve factory stereo system. Brakes need refinement. Improve gear ratio on 4EAT auto trans to better mesh with engine/power band. Improve paint thickness/quality Interior material scrathes too easily. Carpeting reminds me of the OEM setup in my 1970 Dodge

SCARY
By Arthur Lawson

2004 Subaru Impreza Sedan WRX AWD 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 4A)

I have owned 2BMW m-3 sedans,2 twin turbo z cars, a supra twin turbo, 2 corvettes, a taurus SHO,a VW gti 1.8t,and an audi quqttro,this WRX has been so reliable it is scary !!!!!!.No problems.Only slightly warped rotors due to frequent downhill driving.This is the most reliable car I have ever owned.

Favorite Features

Momo steering wheel,handling in all weather conditions,reliability.

Suggested Improvements

Better brakes on base car!!