2004 Subaru Impreza - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Impreza model:
Best Bang for the buck performance
By Glenn Ford on 01/06/05 18:18 PM (PST)

2004 Subaru Impreza WRX STi AWD 4dr Sedan w/Gold-Painted Wheels (2.5L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

If you want a car that performs like a 60,000 dollar car for half the price this is it. Let me tell you this car is a champ with the background of a championship winning car in the World Rally Championship. A lot of the features are derived from the actual rally car. It handles awesome and accelerates awesome. This car will beat most European cars on the road easily. You will laugh at most stock Japanese cars.

Bank the Buck
By CoreySTi04 on 01/05/05 16:41 PM (PST)

2004 Subaru Impreza WRX STi AWD 4dr Sedan w/Silver-Painted Wheels (2.5L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

As a previous owner of a WRX and frequent passenger in an Evo. I can say that I made the right decision. Subaru build quality is excellent. The aceleration of this car is unlike any other on the street. With just a turbo back exhaust I have the car running 12.7 1/4 mile times. That's Corvette country and that makes Evos disappear in the rearview mirror. The ride quality is not as good as the WRX but better than the Evo, but that is to be expected from a race ready car. The interior puts the Evo to shame. Gauges are great . The Evo seats are better than the STi, the STi seats are better than the WRX. The 6MT is far better than the WRX or Evo shifter. Short shifter is a great add-on

Long Distance Driver
By L. D. Driver on 01/04/05 15:17 PM (PST)

Because of the great power, reasonable gas mileage, and superb handling the car is great fun on long trips; especially in mountain areas.

I love my car.
By Ray on 12/10/04 19:56 PM (PST)

2004 Subaru Impreza Outback Sport AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

I love everything about this car...with a couple of hitches. I wish I got the MPG they tell you it gets. I get about 20-22 mpg on average; I've never gotten anywhere close to 26...even pure highway. My tranny had a problem. They fixed it no question. The paint kinda sucks. the stock stereo is terrible. Beyond that I love it. It rips in the snow. Is safe in the rain. Is a blast to just drive around. It's a great car. My first new car..and I'm happy with my choice. On top of that..I owe less than it's worth. How often can you say that about a 15 month old car with 32k miles on it?

Almost Perfect
By tkw on 12/08/04 12:19 PM (PST)

2004 Subaru Impreza Outback Sport AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

This small, sporty hatch back is a very fun to drive. So far I have only good things to say about my first Subaru. The engine is very peppy and yet fuel efficient considering this is an all- wheel drive vehicle. A good car to run errands and do other family chores, and even longer trips - ride is firm but comfortable.

Honest rating
By Dave on 12/07/04 09:26 AM (PST)

This car is a great performer, but you pay the price with a harsh ride. Fuel economy is poor, even when driven tame (15-17mpg). Build quality could be better, especially with paint. The paint seems to chip and scratch easily. Make no mistake, this car is about the engine and little else. Subaru should offer performance upgrades packages with reduced warranty coverage for those looking for more performance. If your looking for a quick car with a nice ride for the same price...look at the Infinity G35.

WRX falls short of both 2.5RS and STi
By Patick2730 on 11/30/04 19:41 PM (PST)

2004 Subaru Impreza WRX AWD 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

The WRX is a very poor day-to-day performer. If you simply want a smooth- driving AWD car, get the 2.5RS. If you want the AWD and the POWER, get the WRX STi. In poor weather any Impreza model is a blast to drive with the AWD system. However you will get extremely frustrated by the lack of responsiveness in the WRX 2L turbo engine. Crusing in normal traffic, you literally have to wait a second and a half after going WOT before the ECU allows the turbo to make full boost and the car gets moving like expected. At any rpm below 3K the car cannot get out of its own way. Also, first gear boost is limited to a measly 7psi, so off-the- line starts are not as quick as you are led to believe.

Very Fast Car
By Dara on 11/25/04 10:19 AM (PST)

This car is really fun to drive. It feels like a American Muscle but has AWD.

2004 Subaru Impreza
By garylynd on 10/24/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2004 Subaru Impreza 2.5 TS AWD 4dr Sport Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

Perfect after one year!

2004 subaru impreza wagon wrx
By wrx dan on 10/23/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2004 Subaru Impreza WRX AWD 4dr Sport Wagon (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

most enjoyable car to drive that I've ever had. Fun factor is very high. I especially like the fact that it is a hot little car and few people know about it. not like the Honda Civic on every block situation.