Used 2004 Subaru Impreza Wagon Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2004 Subaru Impreza - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Impreza model:

ball bearings
By rn4nuts

2004 Subaru Impreza Wagon Outback Sport AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

I have had two Subaru Outbacks. Have had the rear ball bearing go out several times after the warranty was over. I like the car other than that. Has anyone else had this same problem??? I wonder if the makers are aware?

Subaru Outback Sport 5sp
By RGF

2004 Subaru Impreza Wagon 2.5 TS AWD 4dr Sport Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

This is the 2nd Impreza Outback Sport Wagon we have owned,the 1st one was a 2002 that had 32000m when traded. The only problem on this car was a recalled clutch assembly and a new flywheel. This was handled without any delay. Our car was repaired and returned in the same day. The 2004 is very tight and handles any condition surface with ease. Subaru's engine location and the excellent gearing make for quick acceleration and a smooth ride. The only complaint I have is the shifter that comes stock is too loose and can be a nuisance when trying to down shift. The good news is there is an optional short shifter.

Favorite Features

The interior is comfortable and the car comes with most of your best options, standard. Great Car!!

Suggested Improvements

manuel shifter is too loose and travels too far while driving.use optional one as standard. Closer ratio steering would be nice. Cup holders are a bit tacky.

Love the WRX
By n632cm

2004 Subaru Impreza Wagon WRX AWD 4dr Sport Wagon (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

I have been very pleased with my purchase of a 2002 wrx sport wagon. The car drives great! It is a big bang for the buck in my opinion. To really enjoy the car, get it over 3000rpm and enjoy the world of turbo charging. Overall a great car for the price!

Favorite Features

My favorite features on the WRX - all- wheel drive, fog lamps, 6 CD - changer.

Suggested Improvements

I have a 2002 model WRX sport wagon and it didn't have the option for a sunroof :( . Starting in 2004, there is a sunroof option. My only other suggested improvement would be better paint...after 30k miles the paint is starting to show some wear.

Boys just want to have fun
By Tom Oliveira

2004 Subaru Impreza Wagon WRX AWD 4dr Sport Wagon (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

It came to me as a surprise. Without any plan about it , one night I became owner of a SW WRX . Yes, I bought it without knowing nothing about the car. Only regret I have : I should have bought one of these before. Great fun is the name of the game.

Favorite Features

Engine - 100% Suspension - 100% Driving sensation - 110%

Suggested Improvements

6th speed should be useful, as in the Sti model

You must have this car
By JoshuaWRXOwner

2004 Subaru Impreza Wagon WRX AWD 4dr Sport Wagon (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

I've only had this car for 8 months, but I can already say that I made a good decision buying the car. Definately a good choice to go with the wagon. All the power, with all the versitility and space. I race my mountain bike all over Wisconsin, and have never had a problem with not having enough space. I would suggest the short-throw shifter and arm-rest extension as extras that are well worth the money. Only gripes with the car is the gas milage and the fact that it runs on premium... but don't get the wrong idea, you don't buy this car for the gas milage.

Favorite Features

I am a fan of the 227 horse engine. If you've got the money to do it, go with a bigger turbo, as the stock turbo is quite laggy. The wagon's fold down seats and hidden storage area under the floor mat are nice for someone who camps or hauls a lot of equipment.

Suggested Improvements

So far the only problem I've had has to do with my bike rack not fitting properly on the car. This is a problem only because it is an aftermarket rack, and not the factory Subaru rack. I find that the apholstry in the car is difficult to clean too.