Used 2004 Subaru Impreza Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2004 Subaru Impreza - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Impreza model:

Good car with some flaws
By Peter

2004 Subaru Impreza WRX AWD 4dr Sport Wagon (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

I bought it because I wanted something practical (wagon), safe (AWD), fun to drive (manual, turbo), reliable (made in Japan) and reasonably priced (slightly over $21K). I have owned the car for almost 3 years (33K miles). Overall it has been a pleasant experience. Fuel economy is decent (on average about 26 mpg). The car is kind of sluggish off the line tough (turbo lag), and even once the turbo kicks in it does not appear to deliver advertised acceleration. My major gripes pertain to the gear box and paint quality. First I got grinding while shifting into the 5th gear. Now I am getting occasional grind while shifting into the 1st. Paint is very week - millions of chips on the hood and fenders.

Favorite Features

Very good handling and traction. Good interior design. Nice seats. Turbo.

Suggested Improvements

Extremely crappy gear box - I am not abusing the car, yet have constant problems (grinding, difficulty with shifting). In addition, the shifts are very notchy. Low paint quality. Low grade speakers. Disappointing dealer service - refuse to acknowledge problems and perform warranty repairs.

fun fun fun
By bill

2004 Subaru Impreza WRX AWD 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

Well I just bought my Subaru not too long ago and I love it. I've done some mild mods and the throttle response is a lot better than what some of the other reviews have suggested. It's a fun to drive car and it looks good too. If you know anything about cars and are mechanically inclined (even the slightest bit) you can fix the minor squeaks that I've read in some of the other reviews. I personally haven't experienced any of those problems.

Favorite Features

Race inspired seats. Good looks.

Suggested Improvements

Boost compression to 8.5 or 9.0.

More fun to drive than a Forester.
By grzydj

2004 Subaru Impreza WRX AWD 4dr Sport Wagon (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

I traded my Subaru Forester in on a WRX wagon and couldn't be happier. The car is nearly as versatile, and much more pleasant and fun to drive. The 5 speed manual transmission has a notchy engagement feel, which can be alleviated with upgraded bushings, which I plan on doing at point. It took me a while to get used to the peakiness of the turbocharged 2.0 H4. It could be described as on or off, which is kind of nice in stop and go traffic. Keep it below 3k RPM's and you have nice little commuter car, wind it up a bit and you've got a little monster on your hands. Aside from the wonky gearbox, it's a fantastic little wagon.

Favorite Features

Turbo boost is very addictive. Seats are firm and hold you in place. Nice steering feel. Brakes are firm and offer good modulation.

Suggested Improvements

Better gearbox engagement and shifter feel.

2004 car of the year
By Josh

2004 Subaru Impreza WRX STi AWD 4dr Sedan w/Gold-Painted Wheels (2.5L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

This car is the funnest thing I have ever driven. I have wanted an STi since they came out in 1994 in every other country except the US. Everyone asked me what my favorite car was and I told them 'a Subaru Impreza WRX STi version 4 Type R'. They were like 'huh' and 'what the heck is that?' Then in 2003 I found out they were coming to the US as a 2004 model WITH 300HP AND 300 FT.LB'S!. Well, needless to say, I started saving my money up, but I got impatient and bought a nearly immaculate used 2004 with ridiculously low miles for a very good price. Why someone traded it in is beyond my comprehension.

Favorite Features

0-60 IN FOUR POINT WHAT? My 84 Subaru got it done in more like four minutes. A 6 speed stick? Stick=needle in a haystack. Corners like no other. gets almost 30 mpg. You can drive it in ice and snow. you wouldn't do that with your Porsche or your Viper, now would you?

Suggested Improvements

Well, it does have about the same ride quality as my 1990 Dodge 1 ton 4x4 diesel truck. Though I like it like that, some don't. A little less turbo lag. prettier wheels, those are the ugliest BBS wheels I've ever seen. A smaller spoiler would keep me from getting pulled over as often, thats about it.

STill the best sports car for the money!
By Steve Gunn

I absolutely love this car. I bought it looking for a new car to travel with overseas in the military due to its size and I really wanted a sports car. Greatest feature to convince a wife to buy it, 4 doors and seats. It handles great and has all the power you need to get past slow drivers on backwoods roads or into the fast lane on the highway. Only drawback was that Subaru did not offer all-season tire options on this car as it comes standard with RE070 Summer Radials. The day after I bought my STi, it snowed over 2 feet the next few days. I got snow tires and for it and had a blast with the AWD! Everyday driver, ask any STi owner, best car for the buck.

Favorite Features

Powerful engine, great handling, awesome look. Love the driver central controlled differential so I can shift power to the rear or put in auto AWD 50/50. Best brake system on stock sold car. Gets the attention of people who ride with me and makes Corvette owners mad (plead 5th). Easily upgraded.

Suggested Improvements

Offer all season/weather tires as an option. Use ceramic brakes (almost all STi owners I know now use Hawk APS brakes due to the 75-80% brake dust reduction). Most owners I talk to complain about excessive brake dust on OEM brakes. Upgrade stock turbo to 20g bolt-on and bigger intercooler.