Used 2004 Subaru Impreza WRX STi Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2004 Subaru Impreza - Consumer Reviews

2004 Subaru Impreza

View reviews for a specific Impreza model:

Awe Inspiring
By TheJ

2004 Subaru Impreza WRX STi AWD 4dr Sedan w/Gold-Painted Wheels (2.5L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

This vehicle is not for the faint of heart. The power and handling characteristics are "world class" but for a middle class price. The grip of Subaru's AWD, limited slip in front, limited slip in the rear and the driver or computer controled center planetery differential allow the 300 horses to do what they are designed to do. Move you at heart pounding speeds down curved or straight roads. I have owned this vehicle for two years and I love it. I have NEVER regreted my buying decision AT ALL.

Favorite Features

300HP/300FP torq, AWD, 0-60 in 4.7sec.

As Advertised!
By JoshinMN

Exactly as advertised. It's powerful, it's fun to drive. This car isn't meant to be a luxury car, so yeah, the ride's harsh. But if you want luxury, buy some slow Cadillac. And the ride's not all that bad, really. There's a few quirks and things that I've noticed, but the only unscheduled maintenance has been minor. I cannot begin to tell you how happy I am that I bought this car. If you have the money and want a fast, fun, car, THIS IS IT! You would not get me to trade this in for a Porsche, Vette, or M3 at any price. Maybe an E55 or M5, but that would be about it. And those are $50K more.

Favorite Features

300hp, 300 ft-lb. AWD. 6-speed. Seats provide good support. And yet all this with 4 doors, and if you put on suitable tires you can drive it in the winter.

Suggested Improvements

The shifter does tend to be a little vague; sometimes it seems to resist going into 3rd. Wish there was an option for a more modest spoiler. Since 99.9% of my driving is on regular roads, I would have paid extra for some kind of stability control (if there was an off switch!).

Performance, Performance, Performance
By John Nguyen

This is an amazingly fast vehicle. You can definitely feel all 300 horses and the 300 ft/lbs of torque. The AWD works great and helps out in rough road conditions. This is a pure performance car with little flaws. The negatives I did find were random rattle noises, attention I get from police, unmatched green lighting on the radio and climate control, easily chippable paint, and the gas mileage. Overall this car is for the driving enthusiasts, people who love to hear the car's engine and turbo, feel the car's torque, and be able to take corners with ease. You will not find another car with this much power for the price. Test drive it and you will automatically fall in love with it!

Favorite Features

I love - the 300hp, 300feet/lbs of torque, two tone seats, red/orange gauges, the large centered tach, the stock short throw shifter, the turbo, wheels, the hood scoop, the large wing, all wheel drive, and how fun it is to drive.

Suggested Improvements

Better paint is a must. I have many chip marks from flying rocks. It doesn't take too much to chip the paint. The gear shifter is a bit messy. I wish the seats were a bit more stable. For racing seats they seem like they are a bit wide.

Pound for Pound the best
By gdogg

When my wife and I bought our first WRX in 2002 I had no idea what was to come. When I first drove down the street in my STi I was overwhelmed... I was like, "its really mine! My only reservations were the seats - which I already replaced with JIC Magic seats (aftermarket race seats). After adding some basic bolt ons I was impressed even more. The build quality is awesome and I know that reliability is no issue.

Favorite Features

Torque torque torque! The DCCD Controls are very fun to use.

Suggested Improvements

Interior pieces need to be more solid- maybe I drive too hard or have too many aftermarket parts - but some plastic parts "rattle."

bang for the buck
By mak

I've owned this car for 15 month and put on 10,500 miles with no problems. Igrew up in the muscle car era of the 60's and 70's this car out performes almost all of them in all catagories. a lot of performance for the money. puts the excitement back into driving. I take friends my age who also know muscle cars. they can't believe it!!!

Favorite Features

I like the rally car styling because its different and catches alot of attention. fun to drive on the curvy and hilly roads with the torque and handling

Suggested Improvements

More paint choices. redesign hood scoop and rear wing so they are still functional, but not so obtrusive.