2004 Subaru Impreza Wagon 2.0L 4-cyl. Turbo AWD 5-speed Manual Consumer Reviews 5

2004 Subaru Impreza - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Impreza model:

2004 Impreza Consumer Reviews

Date Most Helpful Highest Rating Lowest Rating
If I needed one car to do everything....
By Chad Cummins

2004 Subaru Impreza Wagon WRX AWD 4dr Sport Wagon (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

This car is the Champ at doing everything well. Sports car feel with small SUV cargo and sedan milage. Price is very good for what you get.

Favorite Features

Turbo power and a roof rack... 6 disk changer in the dash..

Suggested Improvements

A switch for octane setting. I know that turbos can run lower octane with a performance hit but if I could turn down the boost on long highway drives and get by with 87 without hurting the engine it would be nice. Jetta's turbos run less boost..

WRX Go Go Go
By rjones1138

2004 Subaru Impreza Wagon WRX AWD 4dr Sport Wagon (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

Nitpicking, the back seat is small and the interior is smaller than some cars in the class. Uh, it should come with trunk straps to hold things in place :). This car is always super fun to drive.

Favorite Features

Twisty road handling and rocket sled acceleration.

Suggested Improvements

more head room, trunk straps to hold things in place around the turns

WRX as good as my M3
By salligator

2004 Subaru Impreza Wagon WRX AWD 4dr Sport Wagon (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

To me a Subaru makes a great winter snow car. This time I bought a WRX, since my summer car is a BMW M3 convertible. Except at very low RPMs, the WRX might as well have an M3 on it. The handling on a very narrow twisty road is as good as the M3, and the accelleration as long as you stay above 3000 RPM is also about the same. But the WRX has more features, it does not transmit potholes to your back, it goes in snow, and it has all weather performance tires that do not require replacement every 13000 miles.

Favorite Features

Accelleration, handling, braking, all weather tires, goes in snow. Holds lots of stuff since it is a wagon.

Suggested Improvements

Have a wagon version of the STI.

Fun wagon
By BLUWRX

2004 Subaru Impreza Wagon WRX AWD 4dr Sport Wagon (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

I shopped around for something w/awd, with decent gas mileage, and some good power for around 25K.This is it! Fun to drive, great safety, decent room for ski or golf gear. Got the short throw shifter, autodim mirror, arm rest ext. (should be standard), bumper cover, extended warr. All for the price I expected. I'm very happy so far, with exception of the stereo.

Favorite Features

Power, handling, breaking, saftey, Color (WR Blue!) short throw shifter!

Suggested Improvements

Stereo! ie the speakers, don't think they can handle the power from the stereo.

Best Car for Fun and Family
By exp_deal

2004 Subaru Impreza Wagon WRX AWD 4dr Sport Wagon (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

I bought my WRX last weekend. I am very impressed with it. Not to mention the great horse power and acceleration that everyone knows about, the interior is actually very good and up to my taste. Some people complain about the cheap interior. For those who are doing research, you must go to dealership to see it and test drive it. It's not luxury, but it is not cheap either. The ride is much more quite than I expected. The basic sound system is not bad as well. I have a big cargo room and a roof rack that I know I would appreciate someday. For fun, family and practical use, this car is simply the greatest for the price.

Favorite Features

Of course, horse power and acceleration. Momo steering wheel, racing style seat, fog lights, the interior and instrument panel color scheme. Turbo guage (my optional equip).

Suggested Improvements

It's perfect, other than my kids would love to have a center armrest and cupholder in the back seat.

Good Car, could be great
By VOLFAN

2004 Subaru Impreza Wagon WRX AWD 4dr Sport Wagon (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

I love this car for it's all around utility, performance and price. I am a little disaapointed in some of the build quiality but I knew this going into it as many others have complained of thin paint, thin windshields, and build quality just slightly better than a Dodge. My biggest concern is the CEL that has now come on twice and I have only driven the car 125 miles! Loose fuel caps can cause this thing to light up?! Sounds like SOA needs to redesign that. I love the car though even though it is quirky

Favorite Features

All wheel drive-turbo

Suggested Improvements

Extended Armrest should be standard. Better Paint...and redesign that freaking CEL!!!

wagons, ho!
By bkaiser1

2004 Subaru Impreza Wagon WRX AWD 4dr Sport Wagon (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

I traded my 2001 Outback for this because I wanted something more fun to drive (more speed, better handling) and the WRX delivers this in spades! Unfortunately, the driver's seat is so uncomfortable after an hour or so that it makes me dread taking it on long drives. After constant fiddling with the adjustments, I have yet to get comfortable in this car. On the test drive, the seats felt firm-yet- sporty...now they just feel horrible. Also, the turbo lag can be agonizing when it's hot outside. It takes a while for the turbo to kick in, but once it does, the car takes off.

Favorite Features

I love the steering -- it's extremely accurate and offers great road feel. The rush of power after 3K rpms is addictive! I've never owned a car that could pin me to my seat the way this car does.

Suggested Improvements

A wider range of adjustments on the driver's seat would be nice! Without being able to tilt the bottom cushion (only raise or lower) there's no way for me to get comfortable on longer drives. Offer the premium package (heated seats/moonroof) on the wagon!!

It hauls!
By adamcera

2004 Subaru Impreza Wagon WRX AWD 4dr Sport Wagon (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

Still in the honeymoon stage. I am trying to learn a car w/ turbo. The lag in the low revs is unbearable at times. The understeer needs to be adjusted. Good build quality and sporty-feeling, but not as "nice" as the '03 Jetta we own. Great power, Great utility. It hauls! Love the smooth turbo.

Favorite Features

The interior is great! Nice sporty seats, cool air ducts. Nice factory alarm. Large interior for car's size.

Suggested Improvements

Better Transmission. Still "buggy"! It is sometimes a challenge to get it into rev. and first. Hard to quick shift. Cheap sounding radio. What's up with the back that sits lower than the front?

Don't bother with the automatic
By Bruceee

2004 Subaru Impreza Wagon WRX AWD 4dr Sport Wagon (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

The Turbo doesn't kick in until 2800 rpms. If you get an autotrans your shift will always occur just as the turbo is kicking in. I have spent more then half of my life driving, and it has been exclusively in auto trans cars. Despite this I have bought the mantrans wrx. I have stalled blocking traffic in all directions during rush hour. I've had bus drivers pull along side me open their doors and just stare at me. I come out of this air con'd car looking like I've been in a sauna. Once I master the mannytranny, I think I will love this car.

Favorite Features

Turbo.

Suggested Improvements

It still looks a little too much like the old AMC Pacer wagon. yuck. At least they fixed the look of the front end.

Tons of Fun and Practicality for 23 G
By LenEun

2004 Subaru Impreza Wagon WRX AWD 4dr Sport Wagon (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

This is one demonic wagon. Addictive turbo boost and handling that comes alive at speed. You can blast into a 25mph corner at 60mph in rain and it won't lose that AWD grip. Just so much fun to drive, yet there's more cargo room than a CamCord, that is if you don't care for the backseat. Yes, the overall refinment is not up to the 25G mark and it's not the fastest car under 25G anymore either, but when you have this much fun and practicality, you have to give up something. So if you want refinement and some fun, get an RSX or a Mazda6. If you just wanna go fast, get an SRT4. But for me, this is the perfect combo of everything I need, plus some more.

Favorite Features

Turbo boost, AWD versatility, momo steering wheel, lots of cargo room, and fun in the rain!

Suggested Improvements

Amazingly crappy stereo, transmission with questionable reliability that wasn't improved for 04.