Used 2004 Subaru Impreza WRX STi Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2004 Subaru Impreza - Consumer Reviews

2004 Subaru Impreza

View reviews for a specific Impreza model:

I'm in love with my car
By Quad

2004 Subaru Impreza WRX STi AWD 4dr Sedan w/Gold-Painted Wheels (2.5L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

I love it when I start it, when I drive it, and when I lock it up. I love it in the middle of the night just knowing it's in the garage. The power. The brakes. The handling. The roar. The POWER! And the looks I get -- driving into the parking garage at work ... dropping my kid off at school (from the other parents) ... pulling into the 7-11. You can take your 350Z, your Evo, your (cough) S2000 and keep them. Keep them out of my way, that is.

Favorite Features

Tires stick like flypaper to the road -- brakes make you happy for that seat belt -- acceleration makes you grin like a madman.

Suggested Improvements

Seriously, Subaru, the paint needs help. It chips if you look at it funny. I put a serious scratch in the door with my FINGERNAIL. However, you know it's a pretty good car if all you can complain about is the paint.

PERFECT 10
By KEITH

I love this car. It's got gobs of power in every gear, handles like it's on rails, has great fitting seats (for the average size guy at least), nice visible gauge cluster, and gets good gas mileage considering what it is. It's a factory made race car, that is totally street drivable. I can even haul the kids around town with no discomfort what so ever. The best car for under $30k and even beats some higher prices exotics.

Favorite Features

The styling, it's like no other car on the street. Not many cars other than higher priced sports cars like the Z06 can beat it in the straight line, and nothing can compare in the twisties (other than it's rival the EVO8).

Suggested Improvements

None. The car rocks as it is.

Can't go wrong with the STi
By RodSTi

This car is an excellent choice if you are a driving enthusiast who wants a daily driver. The engine pulls good at any RPM, almost feels like there's no turbo lag in day-to-day driving. The car is practical even with its design intent. Four doors and easy to drive make it a great daily driver. The gas mileage may be poor regardless of how you drive, but you will be hard pressed to drive this car like a normal person. The car begs you to push it as hard as you can. The suspension is tight but you can live with it. I have raced that car in autocrosses and the handling is fun, you can achieve oversteer with the right tire pressure. The brakes are also out of this world.

Favorite Features

Great engine, trans, suspension, and breaks. The aerodynamics really is functional. 4 doors and a good-sized trunk. DCCD does make the car drive like a true rear drive. Finally, this i s a great daily driver and weekend racer.

Suggested Improvements

Lots of brake dust and most importantly, the paint chips easily.

Street Legal Rally Car
By hotprop

It'll lope along in 6th at 50 mph. HID's (height adjustable), DCCD, 6-speed tranny, I/C spray, adj. Tach (shift points), and 300 smoothly delivered horsepower. Idles nicely at 500 rpm, lopes along at 2000 rpm. Get it over 4000 rpm and that boxer just growls so nice it gives you goose bumps. The tires are excellent and give good performance, wet or dry, but do let them warm-up. Very responsive handling. Oh, did I mention the BRAKES. Seats four, large trunk, large glove box makes it a car you could live with day to day. You can't buy another car like this for any amount of money. It's a fantastic performance car!

Favorite Features

Dependability, driveability, handling, horsepower. Put a set of snow tires on it and you rule the road. Absolutely the best handling vehicle I've ever driven in the snow (except for a snowmobile). If you want a car that can do SOME THINGS better than this car, bring an extra 50 grand.

Suggested Improvements

A stronger centering spring for the 6-speed. If you're long legged the cruise control stalk will brush against your knee. It needs to be moved somewhere else because one of these days I feel I'm gonna snap it off. A pass-through in the rear seat for ski's. Less understeer at the limit.

This car is a no compromise vehicle
By chris

Need a practical car with a pretty roomy trunk? Need 4 doors? Need AWD? Need speed? This car is not only my daily driver, it is my entertainment and therapist. If I'm having a bad day, I listen to the turbo spool and smile. I love this car so much mainly because I never have to worry about it not working or not having the ability to take passengers somewhere and worry about their comfort. The seats are comfortable, it has the key features you look for: ABS, cruise, A/C, PW, PL, etc. The brakes are huge and really perform great (makes this car safe). If you're considering a compact sedan and don't want to compromise on performance and practicality ... test drive this car.

Favorite Features

Turbo, AWD, great braking power (Brembo brakes), A/C, cruise, power locks & windows.

Suggested Improvements

Sunroof ... thats it!