Used 2004 Subaru Impreza WRX Wagon Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2004 Subaru Impreza - Consumer Reviews

2004 Subaru Impreza Wagon

View reviews for a specific Impreza model:

You must have this car
By JoshuaWRXOwner

2004 Subaru Impreza Wagon WRX AWD 4dr Sport Wagon (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

I've only had this car for 8 months, but I can already say that I made a good decision buying the car. Definately a good choice to go with the wagon. All the power, with all the versitility and space. I race my mountain bike all over Wisconsin, and have never had a problem with not having enough space. I would suggest the short-throw shifter and arm-rest extension as extras that are well worth the money. Only gripes with the car is the gas milage and the fact that it runs on premium... but don't get the wrong idea, you don't buy this car for the gas milage.

Favorite Features

I am a fan of the 227 horse engine. If you've got the money to do it, go with a bigger turbo, as the stock turbo is quite laggy. The wagon's fold down seats and hidden storage area under the floor mat are nice for someone who camps or hauls a lot of equipment.

Suggested Improvements

So far the only problem I've had has to do with my bike rack not fitting properly on the car. This is a problem only because it is an aftermarket rack, and not the factory Subaru rack. I find that the apholstry in the car is difficult to clean too.

Why buy anything else really?
By chipsahui2

2004 Subaru Impreza Wagon WRX AWD 4dr Sport Wagon (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

Just bought an silver wagon and cannot be happier. Before I took the plunge, I was skeptical about the gas mileage as many people complained and gas prices are not pretty these days (My commute is 70+ miles a day). 1800 miles and 3 weeks after delivery date. I don't know why anybody complained about the gas. This thing is amazing with gas. I am very close to meeting the EPA estimates. My first full tank got 24mpg (already content). My last was high 26s (360 on 13.4 gallons). For you lead footers, shift before 3. I still think its enough power to move around. Overall, this is one amazing car. I can't wait until the snow comes. Oh yeah, it's fast too.

Favorite Features

Turbo, AWD, Paid a smidgen over $22k with a few accessories. What a deal. Gotta go with the wagon, it's cheaper than the sedan and increased utility.

Suggested Improvements

Where's the all-weather package? Heated mirrors? Heated seats? Not available for the wagon, what gives? 16" wheels are too tame but Tirerack will help me out after I wear out the less than spectacular RE92.

Its a performance bargain...
By Magicjnkie

2004 Subaru Impreza Wagon WRX AWD 4dr Sport Wagon (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

What's not to love about an all-wheel drive 227 hp turbocharged wagon? With its boxer flat 4 engine mounted down low...you can actually feel where the center of gravity is...down low where, combined with the AWD system, promotes the amazing grip that this car displays. No matter what the road conditions, the driver stays in control. Yeah, this wagon hauls...

Favorite Features

Factory short-throw shifter - a MUST for 5-speed models!

Suggested Improvements

Smoothing out the turbo lag issue. Ohh yeah...just keep the revs over 3K!

Hottest little station wagon in town.
By Yogi29035

2004 Subaru Impreza Wagon WRX AWD 4dr Sport Wagon (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

An excellent and versatile car in all respects. Traded my 2000 Subaru Outback Sport Wagon for the 04 WRX wagon- they look a bit alike, but beyond that there is nothing similar about them whatsoever. The WRX is superior from the engine back, every knob, button and switch and everything they operate feels, sounds and works better.

Favorite Features

Acceleration beyond 2500 rpm has to top the list along with great interior, quality build and driving enjoyment. Added a moonroof: it's more airy and makes the car feel much bigger- highly recommend it.

Suggested Improvements

Acceleration below 2500, gears are sticky going into 1st and reverse, stereo so-so even with upgraded speakers. Finally, what's the deal with no All-Weather package on the wagon?! Subaru is about foul weather driving, so not having this as an option is totally illogical.

No time for indecision
By DonPaco

2004 Subaru Impreza Wagon WRX AWD 4dr Sport Wagon (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

The joy of life comes from our encounters with new experiences, and hence there is no greater joy than to have an endlessly changing horizon. (Alexander Supertramp) In my new subaru I have seen just this. One day in the city the next racing on the beach at 70 mph. What a rush. A real sence of saftey and durability. I traded my 850 turbo wagon for the wrx wagon. What a difference. Just as much power but 1/2 the size and cargo space. It enables you to take roads you wouldn't even think of. Small suv meets sports car with the added bonus of turbo charged awd samuri, at no added cost.

Favorite Features

AWD, Powertrain, durability, fun to drive casually or sporty.

Suggested Improvements

A/C could be a bit cooler. Slight drag with initial take off. Satelite radio upgrade would be nice with a weak antenna in the car.