2004 Subaru Impreza - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Impreza model:
Great car
By Josh on 02/07/07 19:11 PM (PST)

2004 Subaru Impreza WRX AWD 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

This was my "realistic" dream car thanks to the FIA WRC. I've had it for 2 years now and still love every second I'm behind the wheel on it. The only problems I've had with it are that the paint is kinda weak and a bulb in my headlight and two in my taillights have gone out. Engine wise, it hits 6,000rpms or more at least once a day and has done so happily. There is a very minor occasional squeak on really rough potholed roads but 99% of the time it is squeakless. Build quality is excellent. The AWD is fantastic. I would recommend this car to anyone that loves to drive.

Early Review - 500mi.
By STI USAF GI on 01/04/07 10:49 AM (PST)

2004 Subaru Impreza WRX STi AWD 4dr Sedan w/Gold-Painted Wheels (2.5L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

I'm a race fanatic. I've driven Acura's RSX Type-S and ridden Suzuki's GSXR 1000, taking both through their and my limits. Hence the term 'speed junky' to describe myself would be well used. The STi has been by far the best bang for the buck I've ever experienced. Just like with motorcycles, I'm not going to tell you that one car is the best for you; it boils down to driving preference, comfort, and affordability. For $31k I was considering the MazdaSpeed6, and the MazdaSpeed3. After our last few snowstorms here in CO I settled for an AWD sedan with a good punch. The STi has been by far the best refined AWD sedan I tested within this price range/category (sports-sedan).

Cute car, stupid, cheap cutbacks
By sbirnbaum100 on 12/06/06 08:46 AM (PST)

2004 Subaru Impreza 2.5 TS AWD 4dr Sport Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

We've owned a 1996 Subaru Impreza Outback (manual) - awesome. A used 1996 Subaru Legacy - good (manual) started collapsing at 151K), now the 2004 Subaru Impreza TS Wagon automatic. I'm not impressed. It eats gas (23 mpg average). It's expensive to maintain. We couldn't buy it with side body guards. It doesn't have a key for the trunk. If the electric goes, we have no trunk. There's been a ticking (in different gears) with the car since we bought it. The Subie dealer said it's a known issue with the pistons and is not considered a problem. Is that really true? If it's not a problem, why did they "fix it" in the 2007 model.

3 years now and still loving it
By Christine on 08/01/06 19:14 PM (PDT)

My husband convinced me to get this car because he knew that I would not need to replace it anytime in the foreseeable future. It works as a 'family' car and a daily driver. My husband and I were window shopping for something better and you can't find it for less than $60k. At least not with 4 doors and AWD, which is a must.

Fun to drive
By sriegg on 07/27/06 11:00 AM (PDT)

This has to be the most fun I've ever had driving. It's quick, sharp and loves to go.

Good car with some flaws
By Peter on 07/23/06 17:00 PM (PDT)

2004 Subaru Impreza WRX AWD 4dr Sport Wagon (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

I bought it because I wanted something practical (wagon), safe (AWD), fun to drive (manual, turbo), reliable (made in Japan) and reasonably priced (slightly over $21K). I have owned the car for almost 3 years (33K miles). Overall it has been a pleasant experience. Fuel economy is decent (on average about 26 mpg). The car is kind of sluggish off the line tough (turbo lag), and even once the turbo kicks in it does not appear to deliver advertised acceleration. My major gripes pertain to the gear box and paint quality. First I got grinding while shifting into the 5th gear. Now I am getting occasional grind while shifting into the 1st. Paint is very week - millions of chips on the hood and fenders.

fun fun fun
By bill on 06/20/06 03:04 AM (PDT)

2004 Subaru Impreza WRX AWD 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

Well I just bought my Subaru not too long ago and I love it. I've done some mild mods and the throttle response is a lot better than what some of the other reviews have suggested. It's a fun to drive car and it looks good too. If you know anything about cars and are mechanically inclined (even the slightest bit) you can fix the minor squeaks that I've read in some of the other reviews. I personally haven't experienced any of those problems.

More fun to drive than a Forester.
By grzydj on 05/30/06 12:37 PM (PDT)

2004 Subaru Impreza WRX AWD 4dr Sport Wagon (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

I traded my Subaru Forester in on a WRX wagon and couldn't be happier. The car is nearly as versatile, and much more pleasant and fun to drive. The 5 speed manual transmission has a notchy engagement feel, which can be alleviated with upgraded bushings, which I plan on doing at point. It took me a while to get used to the peakiness of the turbocharged 2.0 H4. It could be described as on or off, which is kind of nice in stop and go traffic. Keep it below 3k RPM's and you have nice little commuter car, wind it up a bit and you've got a little monster on your hands. Aside from the wonky gearbox, it's a fantastic little wagon.

2004 car of the year
By Josh on 04/14/06 19:04 PM (PDT)

This car is the funnest thing I have ever driven. I have wanted an STi since they came out in 1994 in every other country except the US. Everyone asked me what my favorite car was and I told them 'a Subaru Impreza WRX STi version 4 Type R'. They were like 'huh' and 'what the heck is that?' Then in 2003 I found out they were coming to the US as a 2004 model WITH 300HP AND 300 FT.LB'S!. Well, needless to say, I started saving my money up, but I got impatient and bought a nearly immaculate used 2004 with ridiculously low miles for a very good price. Why someone traded it in is beyond my comprehension.

STill the best sports car for the money!
By Steve Gunn on 04/02/06 19:06 PM (PDT)

I absolutely love this car. I bought it looking for a new car to travel with overseas in the military due to its size and I really wanted a sports car. Greatest feature to convince a wife to buy it, 4 doors and seats. It handles great and has all the power you need to get past slow drivers on backwoods roads or into the fast lane on the highway. Only drawback was that Subaru did not offer all-season tire options on this car as it comes standard with RE070 Summer Radials. The day after I bought my STi, it snowed over 2 feet the next few days. I got snow tires and for it and had a blast with the AWD! Everyday driver, ask any STi owner, best car for the buck.