Used 2004 Subaru Impreza WRX STi Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2004 Subaru Impreza WRX STi - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Impreza model:

You Only Live Once
By 04BlueSTI

2004 Subaru Impreza WRX STi WRX STi AWD 4dr Sedan w/Gold-Painted Wheels (2.5L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

This is an absolutely amazing car for the money! I have had mine for almost a month now, and have many upgrades. We can fit the carseat in the back, and as far as the insurance company knows, the STi is a four door family car. I traded in a mustang gt for the STI and love the trade. The STi has power, as well as being VERY economical. Gas mileage is good, when you're not wearing the lead shoes. And the dependability that Subaru offers is one that stands strong. It is hard to find a fast car that will never get stuck in the snow, but the Subaru did it.

Factory boost gauge, r/diff manual mode, Brembo brakes, STi racing seats.

Fix the brake dust problem and add some room in the back seat. Keep the 2007 spoiler.

Early Review - 500mi.
By STI USAF GI

I'm a race fanatic. I've driven Acura's RSX Type-S and ridden Suzuki's GSXR 1000, taking both through their and my limits. Hence the term 'speed junky' to describe myself would be well used. The STi has been by far the best bang for the buck I've ever experienced. Just like with motorcycles, I'm not going to tell you that one car is the best for you; it boils down to driving preference, comfort, and affordability. For $31k I was considering the MazdaSpeed6, and the MazdaSpeed3. After our last few snowstorms here in CO I settled for an AWD sedan with a good punch. The STi has been by far the best refined AWD sedan I tested within this price range/category (sports-sedan).

- AWD - DCCD/LSD dial - Shift light - Power - Torque - Headlights - Clearance - MPG.

- Rear passenger leg room or go to 2 door configuration - FI Map changing on the fly for different winter fuel - Short-throw included. - Acura RDX Turbo style - NO LAG! Big punch! - Motion sensitive alarm included. - All weather tire included. - Big wing; optional. - Quieter ride.

3 years now and still loving it
By Christine

My husband convinced me to get this car because he knew that I would not need to replace it anytime in the foreseeable future. It works as a 'family' car and a daily driver. My husband and I were window shopping for something better and you can't find it for less than $60k. At least not with 4 doors and AWD, which is a must.

Exterior design, handling, power, interior color scheme, the 'size' (I'm petite).

The plastic on the interior feels cheep, and the paint does chip pretty bad. While I like the placement (for the most part) of the upper drink cup holder, it is cheep plastic and doesn't hold very large cups. Oh yeah, and 60/40 rear folding seats.

Fun to drive
By sriegg

This has to be the most fun I've ever had driving. It's quick, sharp and loves to go.

Large trunk, with 4 doors that makes it easy to get in and out of. Love the rear view mirror, really makes a difference when someone comes up behind with bright lights.

Wouldn't want to make a road trip in it, the seats need a shock system, you can feel the paint on the roads. So you can imagine what a bumpy road might feel like.

2004 car of the year
By Josh

This car is the funnest thing I have ever driven. I have wanted an STi since they came out in 1994 in every other country except the US. Everyone asked me what my favorite car was and I told them 'a Subaru Impreza WRX STi version 4 Type R'. They were like 'huh' and 'what the heck is that?' Then in 2003 I found out they were coming to the US as a 2004 model WITH 300HP AND 300 FT.LB'S!. Well, needless to say, I started saving my money up, but I got impatient and bought a nearly immaculate used 2004 with ridiculously low miles for a very good price. Why someone traded it in is beyond my comprehension.

0-60 IN FOUR POINT WHAT? My 84 Subaru got it done in more like four minutes. A 6 speed stick? Stick=needle in a haystack. Corners like no other. gets almost 30 mpg. You can drive it in ice and snow. you wouldn't do that with your Porsche or your Viper, now would you?

Well, it does have about the same ride quality as my 1990 Dodge 1 ton 4x4 diesel truck. Though I like it like that, some don't. A little less turbo lag. prettier wheels, those are the ugliest BBS wheels I've ever seen. A smaller spoiler would keep me from getting pulled over as often, thats about it.