2004 Subaru Impreza WRX STi - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Impreza model:
STill the best sports car for the money!
By Steve Gunn on 04/02/06 19:06 PM (PDT)

2004 Subaru Impreza WRX STi WRX STi AWD 4dr Sedan w/Gold-Painted Wheels (2.5L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

I absolutely love this car. I bought it looking for a new car to travel with overseas in the military due to its size and I really wanted a sports car. Greatest feature to convince a wife to buy it, 4 doors and seats. It handles great and has all the power you need to get past slow drivers on backwoods roads or into the fast lane on the highway. Only drawback was that Subaru did not offer all-season tire options on this car as it comes standard with RE070 Summer Radials. The day after I bought my STi, it snowed over 2 feet the next few days. I got snow tires and for it and had a blast with the AWD! Everyday driver, ask any STi owner, best car for the buck.

BUY ONE NOW!
By WRX STi on 03/02/06 08:09 AM (PST)

I have had many so-called sports cars and this is by far and away the best car for the money. The price performance ratio is solidly in this car's favor as it is as fast as many cars that are twice the price. Peerless handling in all weather conditions inspires complete confidence. If you are a new driver, however, this is NOT the car for you. It would be for someone who is experienced enough to use it to it's full potential. I have had no problems with the car at all, and it is just a rocket sled. Don't look for big MPG numbers, especially if driven in anger. My only other advice: Buy one NOW!

All weather street-legal racecar
By Amahl2442 on 01/12/06 15:42 PM (PST)

I wanted an STI long before they came to US shores. The amount of power Subaru was able to extract from a four-cylinder, 2.5 liter engine is nearly obscene. I paid $27K for a 375hp (after a few mods) monster that's as much fun on the racetrack or an autocross course as it is running errands around town. The guttural roar of the boxer, accentuated by an aftermarket turboback exhaust, makes you want to turn off the radio and roll down the windows. I am forced to drive like a complete jerk by this car, and still manage to get 25 mpg around town. Test drove the Evo, the VW R32, the S2000, and while this isn't as comfortable as the VW or as go-kart light as the Evo, it is by far the most fun.

Subaru is a Total Disappointment
By David Zimlin on 12/30/05 15:13 PM (PST)

Although I love this car, the biggest problem has been with the dealer and Subaru. I had a synchronizer problem develop, and took it in for repair. I was told that the transmission needed to be rebuilt due to "driver abuse", and that it would cost $2,900. After going back & forth, including talk of legal action, Subaru repaired the transmission free of charge, but said it was only a "gesture of good will", and not a warranty repair. Now, after only 25,000 miles, the clutch is slipping. I am not an abusive driver, I have never raced the car. I am 60 years old, and I have never had a problem with any manufacturer until Subaru.

Turbocharged Monster!
By Sgt Prem on 12/20/05 10:00 AM (PST)

This car is a true drivers car. Acceleration, handling and brakes are racecar like. A few basic mods will turn this car into a beast. Will get you in trouble with the law if not careful. You will want to stab the throttle every time you step on the gas. I test drove the 04 M3, 06 Vette and was not impressed. I wanted to jump back in my Suby! No need to spend $50k. DCCD is a plus. Behaves like a RWD when you want it to. You HAVE to launch this car! It takes off like a rocket!

I'm in love with my car
By Quad on 12/18/05 00:34 AM (PST)

I love it when I start it, when I drive it, and when I lock it up. I love it in the middle of the night just knowing it's in the garage. The power. The brakes. The handling. The roar. The POWER! And the looks I get -- driving into the parking garage at work ... dropping my kid off at school (from the other parents) ... pulling into the 7-11. You can take your 350Z, your Evo, your (cough) S2000 and keep them. Keep them out of my way, that is.

PERFECT 10
By KEITH on 12/08/05 20:37 PM (PST)

I love this car. It's got gobs of power in every gear, handles like it's on rails, has great fitting seats (for the average size guy at least), nice visible gauge cluster, and gets good gas mileage considering what it is. It's a factory made race car, that is totally street drivable. I can even haul the kids around town with no discomfort what so ever. The best car for under $30k and even beats some higher prices exotics.

Can't go wrong with the STi
By RodSTi on 09/20/05 16:57 PM (PDT)

This car is an excellent choice if you are a driving enthusiast who wants a daily driver. The engine pulls good at any RPM, almost feels like there's no turbo lag in day-to-day driving. The car is practical even with its design intent. Four doors and easy to drive make it a great daily driver. The gas mileage may be poor regardless of how you drive, but you will be hard pressed to drive this car like a normal person. The car begs you to push it as hard as you can. The suspension is tight but you can live with it. I have raced that car in autocrosses and the handling is fun, you can achieve oversteer with the right tire pressure. The brakes are also out of this world.

Street Legal Rally Car
By hotprop on 08/21/05 13:05 PM (PDT)

It'll lope along in 6th at 50 mph. HID's (height adjustable), DCCD, 6-speed tranny, I/C spray, adj. Tach (shift points), and 300 smoothly delivered horsepower. Idles nicely at 500 rpm, lopes along at 2000 rpm. Get it over 4000 rpm and that boxer just growls so nice it gives you goose bumps. The tires are excellent and give good performance, wet or dry, but do let them warm-up. Very responsive handling. Oh, did I mention the BRAKES. Seats four, large trunk, large glove box makes it a car you could live with day to day. You can't buy another car like this for any amount of money. It's a fantastic performance car!

This car is a no compromise vehicle
By chris on 07/26/05 22:08 PM (PDT)

Need a practical car with a pretty roomy trunk? Need 4 doors? Need AWD? Need speed? This car is not only my daily driver, it is my entertainment and therapist. If I'm having a bad day, I listen to the turbo spool and smile. I love this car so much mainly because I never have to worry about it not working or not having the ability to take passengers somewhere and worry about their comfort. The seats are comfortable, it has the key features you look for: ABS, cruise, A/C, PW, PL, etc. The brakes are huge and really perform great (makes this car safe). If you're considering a compact sedan and don't want to compromise on performance and practicality ... test drive this car.