Used 2004 Subaru Impreza 2.5 Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2004 Subaru Impreza - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Impreza model:

Love my new car
By GaMi

2004 Subaru Impreza 2.5 RS AWD 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

In one week I have become a Subaru convert. I love this car. It is a quick, smooth, solid ride. The AWD makes you feel pinned to the road and the handling on simple on and off ramps and turns is a joy. I had wanted the WRX and at first thought I settled for less but after the first 500 miles I'm satisfied with the performance. The 165 horse and 166 torque is fully adequate for my needs. Test drove the auto transmission, do not waste your time with it, get the 5 spd manual.

Favorite Features

The solid ride feels safe. Excellent acceleration when you want it. Java Pearl Black gleams golden in the sun.

Suggested Improvements

Fog lights and arm rest extension should be standard.

2004 Impreza 2.5 RS
By Suby04

2004 Subaru Impreza 2.5 RS AWD 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

Awesome looks and style. Subaru growl Sporty, fast, reliable. A little annoyed with the slight vibration on the highway which is said to be "normal" for "v" rated tires and the sport suspension. The AWD system has since dissapointed me a little after our 1st snowstorm this weekend. The rear wheels spin even under low acceleration, and so the rear fishtails - worse on cornering. Traction was there but not as i have known in the past. The ABS system is awesome in the snow though Other than that i just love it!

Favorite Features

Where do i begin! Sporty redesigned looks, AWD, fuel economy, comfortable seats, Subaru "Growl", Pacifica Blue Color, soft clutch, responsive steering, tight gears, effecient ABS braking.

Suggested Improvements

Sound system has got to be overhauled, a moonroof would be nice, overpriced armrest should be standard, and foglamps and splashguards. Insulation should be better. Subaru got the big ticket items right - Engine, Trans, and AWD/ABS - now they have to work on the more cosmetic features.

Only one on the road
By el_picardo

2004 Subaru Impreza 2.5 RS AWD 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

Could only afford the RS, but I love it. In bad roads and even worse weather it's the best. It is a bit hard to drive slowly though, it just wants to run.I'm a newbie to manual transmission, but this is an easy car to drive. I've only had it for 2.5 months, but any car I don't have to take in for warranty during the first week, is good in my book.

Favorite Features

Engine, this does not feel like a SOHC. It looks great, I was getting used to the "bug eyes", but this is better. It is the only one of it's kind I 've seen on the road, STI's are a dime a dozen. San Remo Red, 'nough said.

Suggested Improvements

Shifting is a bit rough. Foglights should be standard. Spoiler wing is a must. Momo steering wheel.

Great is you live in mountainous areas
By jayp

2004 Subaru Impreza 2.5 RS AWD 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

I purchased this car as a result of living in mountain area, and bad winters. I like the fact of all wheel drive of course, but its reliablility,pepppy, safety, fun to drive factor and decent fuel mileage was the winning factor for me. Theres really nothing to compare it to.

Favorite Features

Handling, seats are comfy, steering wheel heft, black interior, all wheel drive.

Suggested Improvements

color choice, wheels look funky, shifter a little stiff

SubiNewbi
By SubiNewbi

2004 Subaru Impreza 2.5 RS AWD 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

I'm in love with my 2.5 RS. Yes it's a WRX lite, but I saved a lot of green on the overall cost and insurance. Plus the RS is a great performer. Gotta have the 5 speed though. I've had zero problems after 1,500 miles. The car is tight. Great feel. Awesome brakes. Comfortable, sporty seats. Shifting is a little stiff. Subaru should study manual trannys at Nissan. Dealers are eager to sell this car. You can get a great price, and probably just about any of the options at cost.

Favorite Features

The AWD was the biggest selling point here. Car handles great. Feels very secure on rainy streets. The brakes are extremely responsive, give you a great sense of security. The leather trim on the steering wheel and shifter are very cool also.

Suggested Improvements

The sound system could be better. Moonroof should be an option. There should be more color options.