Used 2004 Subaru Impreza Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2004 Subaru Impreza - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Impreza model:

Car is solid
By nortel73

2004 Subaru Impreza Outback Sport AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

I've had my Outback Sport for nearly 5 years and was thinking of replacing it (vanity reasons)...but the cost to own this has been so low. I easily get 28mpg highway, brakes and tires are cheap (unlike BMW, audi and VW which are 10K more from the start), and the car is solid (unlike the Toyotas and Mazdas at the time which are comparable price wise). I have seriously abused this car and it runs fantastic.

28mpg highway, good styling, nice roof racks, great hatch opens tight and high (good if you use the tow hitch or are tall)

Best Car I've Ever Owned.
By fuzzyhead

2004 Subaru Impreza WRX AWD 4dr Sport Wagon (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

I've owned about 8 cars from different manufacturers, and this is the best car I've ever owned. I've gotten as high as 33 mpg on the highway (with intake and exhaust). The seats are pretty comfy. Very adjustable. The wagon is a great touring car. I've done several cross-country trips with it, and they were great. The interior is very roomy. I've even put a full-size wooden-framed futon in the back before. We used to go camping all the time in this. Great to haul a lot of gear up and down mountains. Wagon handles great with 235mm summer tires. Performs awesome with snow tires. Built very nicely. No rattles or trim problems in the cabin. I look forward to owning more Subarus!

Turbo Wagon! The turbo really pulls nicely. I love the way the engine sounds. The awd just claws at everything. Handles great. Drives great in snow. Very reliable. Interchangeability if parts with Subarus. You can load it to the max and still climb mountains.

Extended arm rest. Put on intake and exhaust to help performance and mpg. I really can't think of how this car can be any better.

Excellent car
By treich007

2004 Subaru Impreza WRX STi AWD 4dr Sedan w/Gold-Painted Wheels (2.5L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

Overall this car is the best car I have ever driven and I would never need a better car. The handling and power are simply amazing. The ONLY thing I would like different is the gear ratio (gears are too close together).

Handling and power.

Gear ratio

my black beauty
By car enthuz

I've owned my 04 sti for about a year and have been pleased! Good everyday car, avg 20 mpg. Lowered so bumpy but drives like a dream. My water pump went out resulting in overheating, resulting in a header job at about 100k mi so keep an eye out for that. Had I caught the overheat before I did, she coulda been spared the trama. The good news, I have an xs exaust and wow, the sound! I've taken down (in speed and sound) many a mustang gt, gto, RTcharger and many v8 trucks with all kinds of loud exhausts. The sound isn't a cheap "bumble bee in a can" sound, its a full "I'm eating your soul" sound. I even put it up to a 1976 stingray (vet) I won, mutually.

DCCD, AWD, performance is outstanding!, RPM light, gold flake black paint (04/05 only?) w/ gold BBS, excellent in all weather! its been put to the weather test and passed with flying colors. rain, tornado winds, ice, hale, STIs rock it all.

XS 3" exhaust sounds AMAZING! tein lowering suspention is a bit of a stiff ride but immediatly drops torque to the ground and if lowered do not rerout intake to passanger side reservoir if there is enough rain in your area (at any season) to splash water in the intake. SERIOUSLY.

WRX four years on
By super_haggis

2004 Subaru Impreza WRX AWD 4dr Sport Wagon (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

Reviewed this car back when it was 6 months old. Thought I'd add a long term review. Mechanically reliable. Suspension, steering and engine all as good as the day I bought it. Interior proved to be weak. Developed a rattle in the hatchback 1 year on that the dealer never was able to fix. Rear seat covers had to be replaced under warranty after 2 years due to fraying. Various interior dash rattles have appeared over the years. Basically all due to poor quality interior materials. Fender guards cracked after 3 years and were replaced under warranty. 4 years and the clear coat started to peel from the hood scoop. Given the long term interior wear and rattles. Not sure if I would buy another.

Good performance. Plenty of space. Mechanically and electrically reliable.

Better quality interior materials. Better quality paint prep and finishing.

• SUV