2004 Subaru Impreza - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Impreza model:
2004 STi a.k.a bargin 911 Turbo
By J04Sti on 08/22/08 12:09 PM (PDT)

2004 Subaru Impreza WRX STi AWD 4dr Sedan w/Gold-Painted Wheels (2.5L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

There is no other car on the planet that makes more sense than a Subaru WRX STi! It makes 300 hp+300tq with no turbo lag from a turbocharged and intercooled 2.5L Flat 4 cyl,AWD,6 speed tranny, 4 doors, looks that could kill and with minor modifications can make well over 400 hp (like mine does). Sure the ride is a little harsh, but you're glued to the road I feel safer driving my 2 daughters around in it than any SUV or Volvo. Decent gas mileage and very reliable in all weather conditions. Plus 0-60mph in 4.5 sec & the 1/4mile in 13.3 sec@104mph STOCK! I've spent approx $3500 and my car makes 427whp@6400rpm&446wtq@3600rpm,0-60 in 3.8sec & the 1/4mile 12.3@117mph! Its my daily driver too.

A Collector's
By Slaw on 07/22/08 09:04 AM (PDT)

I have wanted the STI since it came out in 2004. The price came down a little bit, and there rest the BEAST in my driveway. There are not enough words to describe the STI. But one thing for sure it is NOT a civic, not even in the same ballpark. My thought's were that the power was going to be like the civic at high RPM's. To let you know, I was very, very, WRONG! The best part for me is trying to keep the car under control while driving under the speed limit.If you have no kids then the sky is the limit with the STI. So please find one that an adult has owned with min. mods done to it. ENJOY IT! and be SAFE! The 2004 STI will be a COLLECTORS ITEM!

I miss my WRX
By itsjustmeLL on 06/06/08 23:19 PM (PDT)

2004 Subaru Impreza WRX AWD 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

I really miss how fun the wrx was to drive and how it handled so well! This is the best bang for your buck if you enjoy having fun when you drive for an affordable cost. I've driven the G35 and 350Z and I like how this one handles and the control I had over it better. It was super easy to drive, parallel park, zoom in and out of traffic, change lanes, etc. I just thought it was time to get something more mature looking since I wear heels and skirts m-f. Another downer was the '91 gas because the turbo and the 20 mpg for such a little car.

Great car with room for improvement
By dronchi on 02/13/08 18:10 PM (PST)

2004 Subaru Impreza WRX AWD 4dr Sport Wagon (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

This car is a great compromise. As such however there is no one thing that it does particularly well. For instance, acceleration is great, but the engine is prone to detonation with California 91 octane gas. Handling is decent, but the car feels a bit heavy. Noise levels are fairly low, but the stearing response is somewhat mushy due to soft bushings. If you are looking for a racer, this may not be the car for you. If you are looking for a practical car that is fun to drive then you should take a look at this car. One thing I will say is that I've beaten the crap out of this car by driving like mad most of the time and the care still runs great.

Cheap, reliable AWD
By jdl50cc on 12/09/07 13:44 PM (PST)

2004 Subaru Impreza Outback Sport AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

It's hard to say anything negative about this car given the number of features that came for a pretty low price. It's amazingly reliable and seems to run on rails in the rain. Snow performance isn't bad, either. Wish fuel economy were a bit better, but the AWD takes a (worthwhile) toll. Could be quieter but, again, it's an inexpensive vehicle.

04 WRX wagon - high rpm, low gas mileage
By cbird on 08/11/07 14:40 PM (PDT)

2004 Subaru Impreza WRX AWD 4dr Sport Wagon (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

This car is fun to drive, if you keep the rpm up to maintain turbo boost. The cost is your gas mileage, which has ranged from 16 to 20 mpg for me. My biggest complaint is the lack of low end torque, unless you rev the crap out of the engine. I love the interior! The material covering the form-fitting seats is great. Dashboard layout is attractive. While this car is fast and handles fantastically, with my aftermarket wheels and tires, the lack of low end torque has left me wanting. I'll either have to install some mods or get a different car.

Fun sports car yet fuel efficient
By dgman on 05/29/07 13:59 PM (PDT)

2004 Subaru Impreza WRX AWD 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

I have had my WRX for over 3 years now. I almost bought an 04 Mazda 6 instead but after driving each of them, I couldn't get the performance of the Subie out of my head. It is just too much fun to drive. The turbo is a different kind of fast, but the car is undeniably fast. If you are a "muscle car" person who thrives on low end torque, you won't like this car. The WRX is grippy and slow off the line and the power explodes at 3K RPM all the way to redline. Second gear is amazing. If you behave and drive nicely, you can get close to 30 MPG. The trunk is usable. I even have a child seat in the backseat. The car is a 5 star safety rated vehicle. Lots of great features.

Perfect for the enthusiast
By Josh on 04/19/07 10:38 AM (PDT)

If you're not a sports car enthusiast, do not even test drive one of these cars. However for those of us who enjoy a performance car that has everything you need and nothing you don't. This is the car you need to have. Who cares about the ride comfort? I dont know about you but I didn't buy this car to be a luxurious sunday driver. The power is always there, turbo lag? Not really much of a factor if you know what you're doing. If the gas mileage were better I would take this car everywhere.

You Only Live Once
By 04BlueSTI on 04/10/07 10:11 AM (PDT)

This is an absolutely amazing car for the money! I have had mine for almost a month now, and have many upgrades. We can fit the carseat in the back, and as far as the insurance company knows, the STi is a four door family car. I traded in a mustang gt for the STI and love the trade. The STi has power, as well as being VERY economical. Gas mileage is good, when you're not wearing the lead shoes. And the dependability that Subaru offers is one that stands strong. It is hard to find a fast car that will never get stuck in the snow, but the Subaru did it.

Silver Outback Sport, Take 2!
By Drubaru on 02/09/07 18:03 PM (PST)

2004 Subaru Impreza Outback Sport AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

After selling my '02 Outback Sport a year and a half ago, I finally made it back into the Subaru fold with the purchase of the '04 model. Both times I have been satisfied with my purchase. I miss the "bug-eyed" headlights and foglights from the '02, but everything else is pretty much aesthetically the same. I love the confidence I feel. I remember on a snowboarding trip in '03 being waved on by the Rangers at Big Bear Mtn. while everyone else was forced over to apply snow chains. HA! Subaru? No chains needed. Just drive. Whenever. Wherever.