2004 Subaru Impreza WRX STi - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Impreza model:
Excellent car
By treich007 on 12/18/08 10:10 AM (PST)

2004 Subaru Impreza WRX STi WRX STi AWD 4dr Sedan w/Gold-Painted Wheels (2.5L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

Overall this car is the best car I have ever driven and I would never need a better car. The handling and power are simply amazing. The ONLY thing I would like different is the gear ratio (gears are too close together).

my black beauty
By car enthuz on 11/25/08 14:06 PM (PST)

I've owned my 04 sti for about a year and have been pleased! Good everyday car, avg 20 mpg. Lowered so bumpy but drives like a dream. My water pump went out resulting in overheating, resulting in a header job at about 100k mi so keep an eye out for that. Had I caught the overheat before I did, she coulda been spared the trama. The good news, I have an xs exaust and wow, the sound! I've taken down (in speed and sound) many a mustang gt, gto, RTcharger and many v8 trucks with all kinds of loud exhausts. The sound isn't a cheap "bumble bee in a can" sound, its a full "I'm eating your soul" sound. I even put it up to a 1976 stingray (vet) I won, mutually.

2004 STi a.k.a bargin 911 Turbo
By J04Sti on 08/22/08 12:09 PM (PDT)

There is no other car on the planet that makes more sense than a Subaru WRX STi! It makes 300 hp+300tq with no turbo lag from a turbocharged and intercooled 2.5L Flat 4 cyl,AWD,6 speed tranny, 4 doors, looks that could kill and with minor modifications can make well over 400 hp (like mine does). Sure the ride is a little harsh, but you're glued to the road I feel safer driving my 2 daughters around in it than any SUV or Volvo. Decent gas mileage and very reliable in all weather conditions. Plus 0-60mph in 4.5 sec & the 1/4mile in 13.3 sec@104mph STOCK! I've spent approx $3500 and my car makes 427whp@6400rpm&446wtq@3600rpm,0-60 in 3.8sec & the 1/4mile 12.3@117mph! Its my daily driver too.

A Collector's
By Slaw on 07/22/08 09:04 AM (PDT)

I have wanted the STI since it came out in 2004. The price came down a little bit, and there rest the BEAST in my driveway. There are not enough words to describe the STI. But one thing for sure it is NOT a civic, not even in the same ballpark. My thought's were that the power was going to be like the civic at high RPM's. To let you know, I was very, very, WRONG! The best part for me is trying to keep the car under control while driving under the speed limit.If you have no kids then the sky is the limit with the STI. So please find one that an adult has owned with min. mods done to it. ENJOY IT! and be SAFE! The 2004 STI will be a COLLECTORS ITEM!

Perfect for the enthusiast
By Josh on 04/19/07 10:38 AM (PDT)

If you're not a sports car enthusiast, do not even test drive one of these cars. However for those of us who enjoy a performance car that has everything you need and nothing you don't. This is the car you need to have. Who cares about the ride comfort? I dont know about you but I didn't buy this car to be a luxurious sunday driver. The power is always there, turbo lag? Not really much of a factor if you know what you're doing. If the gas mileage were better I would take this car everywhere.

You Only Live Once
By 04BlueSTI on 04/10/07 10:11 AM (PDT)

This is an absolutely amazing car for the money! I have had mine for almost a month now, and have many upgrades. We can fit the carseat in the back, and as far as the insurance company knows, the STi is a four door family car. I traded in a mustang gt for the STI and love the trade. The STi has power, as well as being VERY economical. Gas mileage is good, when you're not wearing the lead shoes. And the dependability that Subaru offers is one that stands strong. It is hard to find a fast car that will never get stuck in the snow, but the Subaru did it.

Early Review - 500mi.
By STI USAF GI on 01/04/07 10:49 AM (PST)

I'm a race fanatic. I've driven Acura's RSX Type-S and ridden Suzuki's GSXR 1000, taking both through their and my limits. Hence the term 'speed junky' to describe myself would be well used. The STi has been by far the best bang for the buck I've ever experienced. Just like with motorcycles, I'm not going to tell you that one car is the best for you; it boils down to driving preference, comfort, and affordability. For $31k I was considering the MazdaSpeed6, and the MazdaSpeed3. After our last few snowstorms here in CO I settled for an AWD sedan with a good punch. The STi has been by far the best refined AWD sedan I tested within this price range/category (sports-sedan).

3 years now and still loving it
By Christine on 08/01/06 19:14 PM (PDT)

My husband convinced me to get this car because he knew that I would not need to replace it anytime in the foreseeable future. It works as a 'family' car and a daily driver. My husband and I were window shopping for something better and you can't find it for less than $60k. At least not with 4 doors and AWD, which is a must.

Fun to drive
By sriegg on 07/27/06 11:00 AM (PDT)

This has to be the most fun I've ever had driving. It's quick, sharp and loves to go.

2004 car of the year
By Josh on 04/14/06 19:04 PM (PDT)

This car is the funnest thing I have ever driven. I have wanted an STi since they came out in 1994 in every other country except the US. Everyone asked me what my favorite car was and I told them 'a Subaru Impreza WRX STi version 4 Type R'. They were like 'huh' and 'what the heck is that?' Then in 2003 I found out they were coming to the US as a 2004 model WITH 300HP AND 300 FT.LB'S!. Well, needless to say, I started saving my money up, but I got impatient and bought a nearly immaculate used 2004 with ridiculously low miles for a very good price. Why someone traded it in is beyond my comprehension.