2004 Subaru Impreza Wagon - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Impreza model:
Car is solid
By nortel73 on 04/13/09 14:37 PM (PDT)

2004 Subaru Impreza Wagon Outback Sport AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

I've had my Outback Sport for nearly 5 years and was thinking of replacing it (vanity reasons)...but the cost to own this has been so low. I easily get 28mpg highway, brakes and tires are cheap (unlike BMW, audi and VW which are 10K more from the start), and the car is solid (unlike the Toyotas and Mazdas at the time which are comparable price wise). I have seriously abused this car and it runs fantastic.

Cheap, reliable AWD
By jdl50cc on 12/09/07 13:44 PM (PST)

2004 Subaru Impreza Wagon Outback Sport AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

It's hard to say anything negative about this car given the number of features that came for a pretty low price. It's amazingly reliable and seems to run on rails in the rain. Snow performance isn't bad, either. Wish fuel economy were a bit better, but the AWD takes a (worthwhile) toll. Could be quieter but, again, it's an inexpensive vehicle.

Silver Outback Sport, Take 2!
By Drubaru on 02/09/07 18:03 PM (PST)

2004 Subaru Impreza Wagon Outback Sport AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

After selling my '02 Outback Sport a year and a half ago, I finally made it back into the Subaru fold with the purchase of the '04 model. Both times I have been satisfied with my purchase. I miss the "bug-eyed" headlights and foglights from the '02, but everything else is pretty much aesthetically the same. I love the confidence I feel. I remember on a snowboarding trip in '03 being waved on by the Rangers at Big Bear Mtn. while everyone else was forced over to apply snow chains. HA! Subaru? No chains needed. Just drive. Whenever. Wherever.

Fourth Subaru....
By Kevin on 11/23/05 16:30 PM (PST)

2004 Subaru Impreza Wagon Outback Sport AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

I am the previous owner of a '77 awd wagon that I logged 300k on and a Legacy GT '02 and an Outback Legacy. I like this Sub the best except one thing. There is a small rattle coming from the rear hatch area that the dealer cannot fix after multiple visits. Just going to live with it. Car handles great and yes, it's worth more now than what I owe and I put nothing down! Really holds its value well. Fast enough for me with 168hp 4 cylinder and cruises easily with the automatic transmission. For those getting sub-par gas mileage ... change the air-filter+ oil frequently and use Chevron gas additive Techroline Plus. It makes a BIG difference. Was 20-22 now 25- 26mpg. I know this car will hold up for 300k.

Icy, Steep Hills? No Problem
By skilift on 05/17/05 11:45 AM (PDT)

2004 Subaru Impreza Wagon Outback Sport AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

I bought this car for two reasons: for a 60 mile (round trip) commute to work each day and to get me up the hill to go skiing on the weekends. This car has performed admirably in both respects. I was pleasantly surprised by how well my Subaru handled snowy or icy, steep hills. I didn't find a hill all winter that I couldn't get up and it didn't matter where, or how, I parked, I never got stuck. And this was during a winter that the papers said was the area's most snowy since 1916. In addition, the car is comfortable for my commute. This is saying something considering I am 6'1". Observed mpg: 25-26 with ski racks; 28-30 w/o ski racks. Great vehicle for camping, too.

I love my car.
By Ray on 12/10/04 19:56 PM (PST)

2004 Subaru Impreza Wagon Outback Sport AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

I love everything about this car...with a couple of hitches. I wish I got the MPG they tell you it gets. I get about 20-22 mpg on average; I've never gotten anywhere close to 26...even pure highway. My tranny had a problem. They fixed it no question. The paint kinda sucks. the stock stereo is terrible. Beyond that I love it. It rips in the snow. Is safe in the rain. Is a blast to just drive around. It's a great car. My first new car..and I'm happy with my choice. On top of that..I owe less than it's worth. How often can you say that about a 15 month old car with 32k miles on it?

Almost Perfect
By tkw on 12/08/04 12:19 PM (PST)

2004 Subaru Impreza Wagon Outback Sport AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

This small, sporty hatch back is a very fun to drive. So far I have only good things to say about my first Subaru. The engine is very peppy and yet fuel efficient considering this is an all- wheel drive vehicle. A good car to run errands and do other family chores, and even longer trips - ride is firm but comfortable.

ball bearings
By rn4nuts on 10/09/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2004 Subaru Impreza Wagon Outback Sport AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

I have had two Subaru Outbacks. Have had the rear ball bearing go out several times after the warranty was over. I like the car other than that. Has anyone else had this same problem??? I wonder if the makers are aware?

1st Subaru, and I am glad I bought it.
By jim_t on 06/23/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2004 Subaru Impreza Wagon Outback Sport AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

I bought my Outback Sport on 6/1/04, and have loved every minute of driving. I'm still under the break-in period (only 150 miles left) so I'm keeping it (barely) under 4k RPM. Even keeping my Sport under 4k RPM, I still have enough power to freely move around at freeway speeds. I took my Sport and my fiancee on a nice long drive up Pacific Coast Highway from Santa Monica to Ventura the weekend after we bought it, and we were thrilled with the handling, power, and comfort. This is truly the perfect car for me. Plenty of room for the rugrats (when they come) and for Future Dog (when he is adopted).

A great little car
By jackiea25 on 04/22/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2004 Subaru Impreza Wagon Outback Sport AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

I enjoy driving my car and look for reasons to drive it. My complaints are it is a but rough and loud, but you definitly have controll and it is great going over mountain passes.