2004 Subaru Impreza Wagon - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Impreza model:
Great AWD car!
By scheper30 on 03/07/14 18:47 PM (PST)

2004 Subaru Impreza Wagon 2.5 TS AWD 4dr Sport Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

I've had my 04 Impreza TS wagon for about a year and it has been awesome. I live in Illinois and bought the car in New Jersey, my parents picked up the car and drove it the next day a 1000 miles to me with no trouble. I then drove the car to NJ and back (2000 miles) a month again with no trouble. For a non-tubo model it still has a kick to it from a stop and no trouble passing at highway speeds. My car has 160,000 + miles and runs like new. The cargo area is big enough for what I need, although narrows at the top. All in all I love this car and would highly recomend it. I will definitely buy another Subaru.

Car is solid
By nortel73 on 04/13/09 14:37 PM (PDT)

2004 Subaru Impreza Wagon Outback Sport AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

I've had my Outback Sport for nearly 5 years and was thinking of replacing it (vanity reasons)...but the cost to own this has been so low. I easily get 28mpg highway, brakes and tires are cheap (unlike BMW, audi and VW which are 10K more from the start), and the car is solid (unlike the Toyotas and Mazdas at the time which are comparable price wise). I have seriously abused this car and it runs fantastic.

Best Car I've Ever Owned.
By fuzzyhead on 04/08/09 04:36 AM (PDT)

2004 Subaru Impreza Wagon WRX AWD 4dr Sport Wagon (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

I've owned about 8 cars from different manufacturers, and this is the best car I've ever owned. I've gotten as high as 33 mpg on the highway (with intake and exhaust). The seats are pretty comfy. Very adjustable. The wagon is a great touring car. I've done several cross-country trips with it, and they were great. The interior is very roomy. I've even put a full-size wooden-framed futon in the back before. We used to go camping all the time in this. Great to haul a lot of gear up and down mountains. Wagon handles great with 235mm summer tires. Performs awesome with snow tires. Built very nicely. No rattles or trim problems in the cabin. I look forward to owning more Subarus!

WRX four years on
By super_haggis on 10/17/08 14:35 PM (PDT)

2004 Subaru Impreza Wagon WRX AWD 4dr Sport Wagon (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

Reviewed this car back when it was 6 months old. Thought I'd add a long term review. Mechanically reliable. Suspension, steering and engine all as good as the day I bought it. Interior proved to be weak. Developed a rattle in the hatchback 1 year on that the dealer never was able to fix. Rear seat covers had to be replaced under warranty after 2 years due to fraying. Various interior dash rattles have appeared over the years. Basically all due to poor quality interior materials. Fender guards cracked after 3 years and were replaced under warranty. 4 years and the clear coat started to peel from the hood scoop. Given the long term interior wear and rattles. Not sure if I would buy another.

Great car with room for improvement
By dronchi on 02/13/08 18:10 PM (PST)

2004 Subaru Impreza Wagon WRX AWD 4dr Sport Wagon (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

This car is a great compromise. As such however there is no one thing that it does particularly well. For instance, acceleration is great, but the engine is prone to detonation with California 91 octane gas. Handling is decent, but the car feels a bit heavy. Noise levels are fairly low, but the stearing response is somewhat mushy due to soft bushings. If you are looking for a racer, this may not be the car for you. If you are looking for a practical car that is fun to drive then you should take a look at this car. One thing I will say is that I've beaten the crap out of this car by driving like mad most of the time and the care still runs great.

Cheap, reliable AWD
By jdl50cc on 12/09/07 13:44 PM (PST)

2004 Subaru Impreza Wagon Outback Sport AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

It's hard to say anything negative about this car given the number of features that came for a pretty low price. It's amazingly reliable and seems to run on rails in the rain. Snow performance isn't bad, either. Wish fuel economy were a bit better, but the AWD takes a (worthwhile) toll. Could be quieter but, again, it's an inexpensive vehicle.

04 WRX wagon - high rpm, low gas mileage
By cbird on 08/11/07 14:40 PM (PDT)

2004 Subaru Impreza Wagon WRX AWD 4dr Sport Wagon (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

This car is fun to drive, if you keep the rpm up to maintain turbo boost. The cost is your gas mileage, which has ranged from 16 to 20 mpg for me. My biggest complaint is the lack of low end torque, unless you rev the crap out of the engine. I love the interior! The material covering the form-fitting seats is great. Dashboard layout is attractive. While this car is fast and handles fantastically, with my aftermarket wheels and tires, the lack of low end torque has left me wanting. I'll either have to install some mods or get a different car.

Silver Outback Sport, Take 2!
By Drubaru on 02/09/07 18:03 PM (PST)

2004 Subaru Impreza Wagon Outback Sport AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

After selling my '02 Outback Sport a year and a half ago, I finally made it back into the Subaru fold with the purchase of the '04 model. Both times I have been satisfied with my purchase. I miss the "bug-eyed" headlights and foglights from the '02, but everything else is pretty much aesthetically the same. I love the confidence I feel. I remember on a snowboarding trip in '03 being waved on by the Rangers at Big Bear Mtn. while everyone else was forced over to apply snow chains. HA! Subaru? No chains needed. Just drive. Whenever. Wherever.

Cute car, stupid, cheap cutbacks
By sbirnbaum100 on 12/06/06 08:46 AM (PST)

2004 Subaru Impreza Wagon 2.5 TS AWD 4dr Sport Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

We've owned a 1996 Subaru Impreza Outback (manual) - awesome. A used 1996 Subaru Legacy - good (manual) started collapsing at 151K), now the 2004 Subaru Impreza TS Wagon automatic. I'm not impressed. It eats gas (23 mpg average). It's expensive to maintain. We couldn't buy it with side body guards. It doesn't have a key for the trunk. If the electric goes, we have no trunk. There's been a ticking (in different gears) with the car since we bought it. The Subie dealer said it's a known issue with the pistons and is not considered a problem. Is that really true? If it's not a problem, why did they "fix it" in the 2007 model.

Good car with some flaws
By Peter on 07/23/06 17:00 PM (PDT)

2004 Subaru Impreza Wagon WRX AWD 4dr Sport Wagon (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

I bought it because I wanted something practical (wagon), safe (AWD), fun to drive (manual, turbo), reliable (made in Japan) and reasonably priced (slightly over $21K). I have owned the car for almost 3 years (33K miles). Overall it has been a pleasant experience. Fuel economy is decent (on average about 26 mpg). The car is kind of sluggish off the line tough (turbo lag), and even once the turbo kicks in it does not appear to deliver advertised acceleration. My major gripes pertain to the gear box and paint quality. First I got grinding while shifting into the 5th gear. Now I am getting occasional grind while shifting into the 1st. Paint is very week - millions of chips on the hood and fenders.