Used 2004 Subaru Impreza WRX Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2004 Subaru Impreza Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Impreza model:

I miss my WRX
By itsjustmeLL

2004 Subaru Impreza Sedan WRX AWD 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

I really miss how fun the wrx was to drive and how it handled so well! This is the best bang for your buck if you enjoy having fun when you drive for an affordable cost. I've driven the G35 and 350Z and I like how this one handles and the control I had over it better. It was super easy to drive, parallel park, zoom in and out of traffic, change lanes, etc. I just thought it was time to get something more mature looking since I wear heels and skirts m-f. Another downer was the '91 gas because the turbo and the 20 mpg for such a little car.

Fun sports car yet fuel efficient
By dgman

2004 Subaru Impreza Sedan WRX AWD 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

I have had my WRX for over 3 years now. I almost bought an 04 Mazda 6 instead but after driving each of them, I couldn't get the performance of the Subie out of my head. It is just too much fun to drive. The turbo is a different kind of fast, but the car is undeniably fast. If you are a "muscle car" person who thrives on low end torque, you won't like this car. The WRX is grippy and slow off the line and the power explodes at 3K RPM all the way to redline. Second gear is amazing. If you behave and drive nicely, you can get close to 30 MPG. The trunk is usable. I even have a child seat in the backseat. The car is a 5 star safety rated vehicle. Lots of great features.

Turbo charged engine. Short-throw shifter. Styling. 4 doors. Hugs curves. Low center of gravity boxer engine. AWD. Boost gauge.

Need 17" wheels (07 has them). Spoiler should be optional. Tinted windows should be optional (I tinted mine). Better stereo speakers. Compass. Outside temp.

Great car
By Josh

2004 Subaru Impreza Sedan WRX AWD 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

This was my "realistic" dream car thanks to the FIA WRC. I've had it for 2 years now and still love every second I'm behind the wheel on it. The only problems I've had with it are that the paint is kinda weak and a bulb in my headlight and two in my taillights have gone out. Engine wise, it hits 6,000rpms or more at least once a day and has done so happily. There is a very minor occasional squeak on really rough potholed roads but 99% of the time it is squeakless. Build quality is excellent. The AWD is fantastic. I would recommend this car to anyone that loves to drive.

Turbocharged boxer engine, excellent handling, AWD traction, great resale value, reliable, decent gas mileage.

Weak paint, boring interior, seats aren't comfortable on long trips, cupholder for large drinks is positioned horribly above the stereo head unit and is flimsier than I would like.

fun fun fun
By bill

2004 Subaru Impreza Sedan WRX AWD 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

Well I just bought my Subaru not too long ago and I love it. I've done some mild mods and the throttle response is a lot better than what some of the other reviews have suggested. It's a fun to drive car and it looks good too. If you know anything about cars and are mechanically inclined (even the slightest bit) you can fix the minor squeaks that I've read in some of the other reviews. I personally haven't experienced any of those problems.

Race inspired seats. Good looks.

Boost compression to 8.5 or 9.0.

Best bang for the buck
By Woody

2004 Subaru Impreza Sedan WRX AWD 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

I did a lot of research before purchasing this vehicle, and my favorite quote was ... no car which costs less than $10,000 more is even worth comparing. It's entirely true. A very compact four door sedan with a comfortable well appointed interior and fantastic performance; great engine sound and power, handling, a total package.

All wheel drive, engine.