Used 2004 Subaru Impreza Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2004 Subaru Impreza - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Impreza model:

Little charmer
By DJCLOS

2004 Subaru Impreza Sedan 2.5 RS AWD 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

Fun little car. I wanted something practical but not boring like hondas & toyotas. Car handles great, suspension is firm and gives nice feedback but on ruff roads it doesn't beat you up. Acceleration feels faster than it is. I have taken this car every where and it has never let me down. Car plows through snow. Car is a jack of all trades.

Favorite Features

AWD handling and traction. The wrx look without $$insurance and prem fuel. Boxer rumble is best sounding 4 cylinder motor period.

Suggested Improvements

Stop building attractive cars for only 2 years. 2004-2005 imprezas are the best looking ones. More power for base models. Ac compressor, water pump, & cat-converter broke before 60k.

best thing I ever own
By the physicist

2004 Subaru Impreza Sedan WRX AWD 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 4A)

6 yrs old, 147000 miles, 27 mpg with premium gas, brakes replaced at 90000 and 100000 miles! What have been replaced: a small rubber hose, 1 supporting leg of the transmission, oxygen apparatus for total $1500 last yr..Otherwise, the car handles like new.. I could drive any car under $150000, and I did selected the best one..

Favorite Features

reliabily, SIMPLICITY JUST LIKE A SOLUTION TO A MATH/PHYSICS PROBLEM, performance, brakes

Suggested Improvements

300 hp/torque in automatic would be a dream

A complete review through 120,000 miles
By 2004ILWRX

2004 Subaru Impreza Sedan WRX AWD 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 4A)

A fun and safe vehicle that has been for the most part very reliable. A blessing to drive one of these in IL winter. Problems that I've had: Tend to go through car battery every 2 years. Engine serpentine belt pulley/tensioner replaced at 80K Engine short block replaced at 115k ($elf induced) Paint is very thin and prone to chips. On average I get 22.4 mpg with includes a good mixture of highway and local driving.

Favorite Features

AWD handling Turbo!

Suggested Improvements

Improve cup holder placement and qty. Improve factory stereo system. Brakes need refinement. Improve gear ratio on 4EAT auto trans to better mesh with engine/power band. Improve paint thickness/quality Interior material scrathes too easily. Carpeting reminds me of the OEM setup in my 1970 Dodge

My Spaceship
By bond007

2004 Subaru Impreza Sedan WRX AWD 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 4A)

135000 miles in 5 yr, ave 27 mpg for mostly freeway driving with utmost reliability, my spaceship still flies the same like the very first day. Problem so far are replacement of the small rubber hose/ one axle supporting the transmission/ 2 O2 sensors...Oh! Forgot to mention the performance is devastating. Could have bought a maserati or p911 or m3, but unable to find a good reason to.

Favorite Features

simplicity and performance and reliability

Suggested Improvements

better mpg

I miss my WRX
By itsjustmeLL

2004 Subaru Impreza Sedan WRX AWD 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

I really miss how fun the wrx was to drive and how it handled so well! This is the best bang for your buck if you enjoy having fun when you drive for an affordable cost. I've driven the G35 and 350Z and I like how this one handles and the control I had over it better. It was super easy to drive, parallel park, zoom in and out of traffic, change lanes, etc. I just thought it was time to get something more mature looking since I wear heels and skirts m-f. Another downer was the '91 gas because the turbo and the 20 mpg for such a little car.