2004 Subaru Impreza Outback Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2004 Subaru Impreza - Consumer Reviews

2004 Impreza Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Impreza model:

Sort Reviews by

Car is solid
By nortel73

2004 Subaru Impreza Outback Sport AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

I've had my Outback Sport for nearly 5 years and was thinking of replacing it (vanity reasons)...but the cost to own this has been so low. I easily get 28mpg highway, brakes and tires are cheap (unlike BMW, audi and VW which are 10K more from the start), and the car is solid (unlike the Toyotas and Mazdas at the time which are comparable price wise). I have seriously abused this car and it runs fantastic.

Favorite Features

28mpg highway, good styling, nice roof racks, great hatch opens tight and high (good if you use the tow hitch or are tall)

Cheap, reliable AWD
By jdl50cc

2004 Subaru Impreza Outback Sport AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

It's hard to say anything negative about this car given the number of features that came for a pretty low price. It's amazingly reliable and seems to run on rails in the rain. Snow performance isn't bad, either. Wish fuel economy were a bit better, but the AWD takes a (worthwhile) toll. Could be quieter but, again, it's an inexpensive vehicle.

Favorite Features

AWD, exterior styling, cargo and towing capacity.

Suggested Improvements

Cruise control "on/off" switch should be stalk.

Silver Outback Sport, Take 2!
By Drubaru

2004 Subaru Impreza Outback Sport AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

After selling my '02 Outback Sport a year and a half ago, I finally made it back into the Subaru fold with the purchase of the '04 model. Both times I have been satisfied with my purchase. I miss the "bug-eyed" headlights and foglights from the '02, but everything else is pretty much aesthetically the same. I love the confidence I feel. I remember on a snowboarding trip in '03 being waved on by the Rangers at Big Bear Mtn. while everyone else was forced over to apply snow chains. HA! Subaru? No chains needed. Just drive. Whenever. Wherever.

Favorite Features

The styling. The handling. The sure-footed AWD. The rubber trunk mat. The carte blanche travel ability. How cool the door looks opening when the windows are down (no window frame).

Suggested Improvements

Bring back the bug-eyes and big fog lights! Oooh, and how 'bout in-dash espresso machine! Thanks.

Fourth Subaru....
By Kevin

2004 Subaru Impreza Outback Sport AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

I am the previous owner of a '77 awd wagon that I logged 300k on and a Legacy GT '02 and an Outback Legacy. I like this Sub the best except one thing. There is a small rattle coming from the rear hatch area that the dealer cannot fix after multiple visits. Just going to live with it. Car handles great and yes, it's worth more now than what I owe and I put nothing down! Really holds its value well. Fast enough for me with 168hp 4 cylinder and cruises easily with the automatic transmission. For those getting sub-par gas mileage ... change the air-filter+ oil frequently and use Chevron gas additive Techroline Plus. It makes a BIG difference. Was 20-22 now 25- 26mpg. I know this car will hold up for 300k.

Favorite Features

Well balanced power/weight ratio, inexpensive for what you get, awd and great suspension. Reliable, Reliable, Reliable. Low maintenance, low insurance. Still have not seen a car '05 or '06 that I say -- OH I should have bought that car instead. The practical hatchback awd wagon that parks like a dream.

Suggested Improvements

They made them in '05 -- better stereo, interior. In '05 they announced a premium package that only cost $500 for the stereo upgrade; 330watts/ leather accented s/wheel/shifter/brake, better rims and an upgraded cloth interior.

Icy, Steep Hills? No Problem
By skilift

2004 Subaru Impreza Outback Sport AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

I bought this car for two reasons: for a 60 mile (round trip) commute to work each day and to get me up the hill to go skiing on the weekends. This car has performed admirably in both respects. I was pleasantly surprised by how well my Subaru handled snowy or icy, steep hills. I didn't find a hill all winter that I couldn't get up and it didn't matter where, or how, I parked, I never got stuck. And this was during a winter that the papers said was the area's most snowy since 1916. In addition, the car is comfortable for my commute. This is saying something considering I am 6'1". Observed mpg: 25-26 with ski racks; 28-30 w/o ski racks. Great vehicle for camping, too.

Favorite Features

All-Wheel Drive; roof rack; headroom.

Suggested Improvements

Sunroof option; better cupholders.

I love my car.
By Ray

2004 Subaru Impreza Outback Sport AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

I love everything about this car...with a couple of hitches. I wish I got the MPG they tell you it gets. I get about 20-22 mpg on average; I've never gotten anywhere close to 26...even pure highway. My tranny had a problem. They fixed it no question. The paint kinda sucks. the stock stereo is terrible. Beyond that I love it. It rips in the snow. Is safe in the rain. Is a blast to just drive around. It's a great car. My first new car..and I'm happy with my choice. On top of that..I owe less than it's worth. How often can you say that about a 15 month old car with 32k miles on it?

Favorite Features

AWD works perfectly. Power is nice for a stock 4 banger...turbo or not. The steering wheel rips. Fold down seats

Suggested Improvements

Figure out a way to get a couple more mpg. Better paint. Get the same fog lights the rest of the world gets...the little ones are near useless and don't look as good. Better stock tires. RE92's are terrible. Better speakers.

Almost Perfect
By tkw

2004 Subaru Impreza Outback Sport AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

This small, sporty hatch back is a very fun to drive. So far I have only good things to say about my first Subaru. The engine is very peppy and yet fuel efficient considering this is an all- wheel drive vehicle. A good car to run errands and do other family chores, and even longer trips - ride is firm but comfortable.

Favorite Features

Stereo with CD, fog lamps, driving lamps, size of glove box and center console storage.

Suggested Improvements

Tilt steering wheel should be able to tilt a bit higher, auto dimming drivers side rear mirror, heated side rear view mirrors.

ball bearings
By rn4nuts

2004 Subaru Impreza Outback Sport AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

I have had two Subaru Outbacks. Have had the rear ball bearing go out several times after the warranty was over. I like the car other than that. Has anyone else had this same problem??? I wonder if the makers are aware?

1st Subaru, and I am glad I bought it.
By jim_t

2004 Subaru Impreza Outback Sport AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

I bought my Outback Sport on 6/1/04, and have loved every minute of driving. I'm still under the break-in period (only 150 miles left) so I'm keeping it (barely) under 4k RPM. Even keeping my Sport under 4k RPM, I still have enough power to freely move around at freeway speeds. I took my Sport and my fiancee on a nice long drive up Pacific Coast Highway from Santa Monica to Ventura the weekend after we bought it, and we were thrilled with the handling, power, and comfort. This is truly the perfect car for me. Plenty of room for the rugrats (when they come) and for Future Dog (when he is adopted).

Favorite Features

Fog lights, auto-dimming rear-view mirror w/ compass, and remote door locks. Peppy engine, tight cornering.

Suggested Improvements

Cupholders. I had thought there were two rear cupholders on this model. Also, a little more leg room for front passengers. When I'm not driving (which is a rarity), I am *just* a little cramped for legroom.

A great little car
By jackiea25

2004 Subaru Impreza Outback Sport AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

I enjoy driving my car and look for reasons to drive it. My complaints are it is a but rough and loud, but you definitly have controll and it is great going over mountain passes.

Favorite Features

Fog lights are good, and seats are comfortable to sit in for long periods of time

Suggested Improvements

moonroof option, and better speakers