2004 Subaru Impreza - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Impreza model:
Best Car I've Ever Owned.
By fuzzyhead on 04/08/09 04:36 AM (PDT)

2004 Subaru Impreza WRX AWD 4dr Sport Wagon (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

I've owned about 8 cars from different manufacturers, and this is the best car I've ever owned. I've gotten as high as 33 mpg on the highway (with intake and exhaust). The seats are pretty comfy. Very adjustable. The wagon is a great touring car. I've done several cross-country trips with it, and they were great. The interior is very roomy. I've even put a full-size wooden-framed futon in the back before. We used to go camping all the time in this. Great to haul a lot of gear up and down mountains. Wagon handles great with 235mm summer tires. Performs awesome with snow tires. Built very nicely. No rattles or trim problems in the cabin. I look forward to owning more Subarus!

WRX four years on
By super_haggis on 10/17/08 14:35 PM (PDT)

2004 Subaru Impreza WRX AWD 4dr Sport Wagon (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

Reviewed this car back when it was 6 months old. Thought I'd add a long term review. Mechanically reliable. Suspension, steering and engine all as good as the day I bought it. Interior proved to be weak. Developed a rattle in the hatchback 1 year on that the dealer never was able to fix. Rear seat covers had to be replaced under warranty after 2 years due to fraying. Various interior dash rattles have appeared over the years. Basically all due to poor quality interior materials. Fender guards cracked after 3 years and were replaced under warranty. 4 years and the clear coat started to peel from the hood scoop. Given the long term interior wear and rattles. Not sure if I would buy another.

Great car with room for improvement
By dronchi on 02/13/08 18:10 PM (PST)

2004 Subaru Impreza WRX AWD 4dr Sport Wagon (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

This car is a great compromise. As such however there is no one thing that it does particularly well. For instance, acceleration is great, but the engine is prone to detonation with California 91 octane gas. Handling is decent, but the car feels a bit heavy. Noise levels are fairly low, but the stearing response is somewhat mushy due to soft bushings. If you are looking for a racer, this may not be the car for you. If you are looking for a practical car that is fun to drive then you should take a look at this car. One thing I will say is that I've beaten the crap out of this car by driving like mad most of the time and the care still runs great.

04 WRX wagon - high rpm, low gas mileage
By cbird on 08/11/07 14:40 PM (PDT)

2004 Subaru Impreza WRX AWD 4dr Sport Wagon (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

This car is fun to drive, if you keep the rpm up to maintain turbo boost. The cost is your gas mileage, which has ranged from 16 to 20 mpg for me. My biggest complaint is the lack of low end torque, unless you rev the crap out of the engine. I love the interior! The material covering the form-fitting seats is great. Dashboard layout is attractive. While this car is fast and handles fantastically, with my aftermarket wheels and tires, the lack of low end torque has left me wanting. I'll either have to install some mods or get a different car.

Good car with some flaws
By Peter on 07/23/06 17:00 PM (PDT)

2004 Subaru Impreza WRX AWD 4dr Sport Wagon (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

I bought it because I wanted something practical (wagon), safe (AWD), fun to drive (manual, turbo), reliable (made in Japan) and reasonably priced (slightly over $21K). I have owned the car for almost 3 years (33K miles). Overall it has been a pleasant experience. Fuel economy is decent (on average about 26 mpg). The car is kind of sluggish off the line tough (turbo lag), and even once the turbo kicks in it does not appear to deliver advertised acceleration. My major gripes pertain to the gear box and paint quality. First I got grinding while shifting into the 5th gear. Now I am getting occasional grind while shifting into the 1st. Paint is very week - millions of chips on the hood and fenders.

More fun to drive than a Forester.
By grzydj on 05/30/06 12:37 PM (PDT)

2004 Subaru Impreza WRX AWD 4dr Sport Wagon (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

I traded my Subaru Forester in on a WRX wagon and couldn't be happier. The car is nearly as versatile, and much more pleasant and fun to drive. The 5 speed manual transmission has a notchy engagement feel, which can be alleviated with upgraded bushings, which I plan on doing at point. It took me a while to get used to the peakiness of the turbocharged 2.0 H4. It could be described as on or off, which is kind of nice in stop and go traffic. Keep it below 3k RPM's and you have nice little commuter car, wind it up a bit and you've got a little monster on your hands. Aside from the wonky gearbox, it's a fantastic little wagon.

WRX Wagon - Impressed.
By John on 03/18/06 17:55 PM (PST)

Great car...quick, agile.

Jack of all trades
By ay on 03/05/06 17:33 PM (PST)

2004 Subaru Impreza WRX AWD 4dr Sport Wagon (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

After 2 years I still enjoy driving this car and have no regrets about the purchase. Build quality is good; my only complaint is an annoying and difficult-to-pin-down buzzing/rattling from the vicinity of the glovebox. That being said, it's a great car. The gearbox is a little finicky and temperamental. Turbo lag is apparent but partially mitigated with a Cobb AP. I personally think it's part of the fun. There are little things that could be improved but -none- of them would prevent me from buying the car again! It's not the fastest car out there but very few can haul all your gear, get you to-and-from the mountains, make you grin on the on-ramps, and get 24-25 mpg mixed city/hwy.

Good Idea!
By joe on 01/19/06 07:31 AM (PST)

2004 Subaru Impreza WRX AWD 4dr Sport Wagon (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

I'm so glad I bought my Subaru. The car is easy to maintain. It has great handling and it saves gas. The power is there when I need it. It is the best car I have ever owned!

Flawless!
By bmorewrx on 01/12/06 16:00 PM (PST)

2004 Subaru Impreza WRX AWD 4dr Sport Wagon (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

In the 2.5 years and 30,000 miles I've had the WRX, it has been nearly perfect. Acceleration, even on regular unleaded, is awesome. I'm on the second set of tires, and did a "plus zero" on the stock wheels, and the slightly wider tires definitely improve the handling, although it's still no BMW when it comes to the ride/handling balance. The interior is still an Impreza econobox, but the Momo wheel and upgraded seats make a big improvement in looks and comfort! Overall, by far the best car I've owned.