2004 Subaru Impreza - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Impreza model:
I miss my WRX
By itsjustmeLL on 06/06/08 23:19 PM (PDT)

2004 Subaru Impreza WRX AWD 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

I really miss how fun the wrx was to drive and how it handled so well! This is the best bang for your buck if you enjoy having fun when you drive for an affordable cost. I've driven the G35 and 350Z and I like how this one handles and the control I had over it better. It was super easy to drive, parallel park, zoom in and out of traffic, change lanes, etc. I just thought it was time to get something more mature looking since I wear heels and skirts m-f. Another downer was the '91 gas because the turbo and the 20 mpg for such a little car.

Fun sports car yet fuel efficient
By dgman on 05/29/07 13:59 PM (PDT)

2004 Subaru Impreza WRX AWD 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

I have had my WRX for over 3 years now. I almost bought an 04 Mazda 6 instead but after driving each of them, I couldn't get the performance of the Subie out of my head. It is just too much fun to drive. The turbo is a different kind of fast, but the car is undeniably fast. If you are a "muscle car" person who thrives on low end torque, you won't like this car. The WRX is grippy and slow off the line and the power explodes at 3K RPM all the way to redline. Second gear is amazing. If you behave and drive nicely, you can get close to 30 MPG. The trunk is usable. I even have a child seat in the backseat. The car is a 5 star safety rated vehicle. Lots of great features.

Great car
By Josh on 02/07/07 19:11 PM (PST)

2004 Subaru Impreza WRX AWD 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

This was my "realistic" dream car thanks to the FIA WRC. I've had it for 2 years now and still love every second I'm behind the wheel on it. The only problems I've had with it are that the paint is kinda weak and a bulb in my headlight and two in my taillights have gone out. Engine wise, it hits 6,000rpms or more at least once a day and has done so happily. There is a very minor occasional squeak on really rough potholed roads but 99% of the time it is squeakless. Build quality is excellent. The AWD is fantastic. I would recommend this car to anyone that loves to drive.

fun fun fun
By bill on 06/20/06 03:04 AM (PDT)

2004 Subaru Impreza WRX AWD 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

Well I just bought my Subaru not too long ago and I love it. I've done some mild mods and the throttle response is a lot better than what some of the other reviews have suggested. It's a fun to drive car and it looks good too. If you know anything about cars and are mechanically inclined (even the slightest bit) you can fix the minor squeaks that I've read in some of the other reviews. I personally haven't experienced any of those problems.

Best bang for the buck
By Woody on 03/17/06 07:35 AM (PST)

2004 Subaru Impreza WRX AWD 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

I did a lot of research before purchasing this vehicle, and my favorite quote was ... no car which costs less than $10,000 more is even worth comparing. It's entirely true. A very compact four door sedan with a comfortable well appointed interior and fantastic performance; great engine sound and power, handling, a total package.

Solid Car for your money
By bw8qbss on 03/13/06 23:08 PM (PST)

2004 Subaru Impreza WRX AWD 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

One of my friends got one a WRX in 03 and I've loved them ever since. I got an 04' in late 05' and absolutely love it. It was very reasonably priced and performed above what i expected. Slight turbo lag but that comes with about any turbo car, but once it kicks in its gone. Handles incredibly well and looks better than any of its direct competitors such as the SRT-4 or GTI. Very very good car all around, and the AWD is unreal. Went straight up a snow covered hill without so much as a slip.

Minor Details
By CanyonCarver on 05/04/05 13:53 PM (PDT)

2004 Subaru Impreza WRX AWD 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

I've had my WRX about 5 months. Not a single problem. Great car. It's all in the details. Handling and power are great and MPG isn't bad. MPG could be a bit better BUT, people getting 20mpg (overall) need to learn how to drive for efficiency. I live in the mountains and have consistently gotten between 27.5 and 30.2 MPG highway/city. I could do a little better but it's hard to resist that Turbo Temptation. This car would be a 10 if Subaru would address the minor issues - paint and interior.

WRX- Not a performance Bargain
By Jeff on 04/10/05 13:00 PM (PDT)

2004 Subaru Impreza WRX AWD 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

The WRX being a top 10 on Car and Driver sounds great. I traded my Acura RSX base for this car and thought it would be an excellent car to own. The WRX is great if you're looking for a racer with build potential. If you want any luxury or are concerned about build quality, do not buy a WRX. The clutch squeaks, driver seat sounds like an old couch when you get into it, the paint quality is the worst I have ever seen, the gas mileage is horrible, turbo lag makes the car feel like it can't get out of it's own way until you hit 3500 rpm's and then it finally throws you back into your squeaky seat. No power trunk release and Oh yes there are the windows that have no frame--perhaps the worst feature

WRX falls short of both 2.5RS and STi
By Patick2730 on 11/30/04 19:41 PM (PST)

2004 Subaru Impreza WRX AWD 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

The WRX is a very poor day-to-day performer. If you simply want a smooth- driving AWD car, get the 2.5RS. If you want the AWD and the POWER, get the WRX STi. In poor weather any Impreza model is a blast to drive with the AWD system. However you will get extremely frustrated by the lack of responsiveness in the WRX 2L turbo engine. Crusing in normal traffic, you literally have to wait a second and a half after going WOT before the ECU allows the turbo to make full boost and the car gets moving like expected. At any rpm below 3K the car cannot get out of its own way. Also, first gear boost is limited to a measly 7psi, so off-the- line starts are not as quick as you are led to believe.

Great car- with problems
By threephoe on 09/24/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2004 Subaru Impreza WRX AWD 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

ve owned this car for a little over a year now, and have had my first gear replaced once, and will probably have to do it again soon (all under warranty). The dealership has told me everything from “That’s normal for the WRX” to “You must abuse the car” (The hardest it ever gets driven is my morning commute) A little bit of research told me that this a pretty common problem caused by inadequate synchros.