2004 Subaru Impreza - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Impreza model:
Cute car, stupid, cheap cutbacks
By sbirnbaum100 on 12/06/06 08:46 AM (PST)

2004 Subaru Impreza 2.5 TS AWD 4dr Sport Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

We've owned a 1996 Subaru Impreza Outback (manual) - awesome. A used 1996 Subaru Legacy - good (manual) started collapsing at 151K), now the 2004 Subaru Impreza TS Wagon automatic. I'm not impressed. It eats gas (23 mpg average). It's expensive to maintain. We couldn't buy it with side body guards. It doesn't have a key for the trunk. If the electric goes, we have no trunk. There's been a ticking (in different gears) with the car since we bought it. The Subie dealer said it's a known issue with the pistons and is not considered a problem. Is that really true? If it's not a problem, why did they "fix it" in the 2007 model.

2.5 TS Automatic
By RJ on 02/10/05 15:13 PM (PST)

2004 Subaru Impreza 2.5 TS AWD 4dr Sport Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

I've enjoyed this vehicle for over a year now. It is a great car; it makes driving in the city (Chicago) almost enjoyable.

2004 Subaru Impreza
By garylynd on 10/24/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

Perfect after one year!

great in the snow
By benoit léveillé on 04/03/04 00:00 AM (PST)

2004 Subaru Impreza 2.5 TS AWD 4dr Sport Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

I'm from Québec province,close from Montréal and here the weather isn't particuliary great, especially during winter and that's why I purchased this car and so far I'm convinced of my choice! This is the best affordable AWD, and a true one like the Audi's, in his class, a lot better then the Matrix/Vibe. Only if this car have Mazda3 look...

Great car, but room for improvement
By subnewbie on 02/26/04 00:00 AM (PST)

2004 Subaru Impreza 2.5 TS AWD 4dr Sport Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

My experience with my '03 2.5 TS has been great. I have upgraded my OEM 15's to 2002 stock wrx 16's. The impact, although minor, has been great. lighter/tighter feel. will be upgrading to a cobb exhaust soon.. My issues are, the crappy stock cd player they give you. i've already had to replace my first one under warranty. the second one is better but it still has issues with playing burned cd's. and the sound at interstate speeds is a little loud. kind of light body frame as well, not safe feeling.

Lovin' it
By Impreza2004 on 02/24/04 00:00 AM (PST)

2004 Subaru Impreza 2.5 TS AWD 4dr Sport Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

Driving mountain roads is challenging when dry - try three weeks of 1 - 3' of snow! Even in newer snow/slush - no apprehension (and this from someone who has rolled a vehicle at 45 mph on a straight, dry stretch - inexplicable accidents do happen). Needless to say, the "ready to roll" feeling has changed from one of apprehension to one of - let's go and drive. Also, driving 5 hours at a stretch presents no bodily discomfort.

Great Car For the $
By lotboy on 01/04/04 00:00 AM (PST)

2004 Subaru Impreza 2.5 TS AWD 4dr Sport Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

This is a good car to have if you drive a lot especially.The TS is stable to drive in adverse weather conditions.The cars weight keeps it planted well on roads. Engine power is good for both city and highway driving,with a power band that produces even power thoughout. Everyone looking for a car in this price range should drive it to compare with other cars.This car is worth your time,especially if you test drive it in slippery road conditions. Give it a try!

Wipe that grin off my face!
By Let_It_Snow on 12/17/03 00:00 AM (PST)

2004 Subaru Impreza 2.5 TS AWD 4dr Sport Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

2 years in the Forester started me off. But my new 2004 TS has completed my journey. Dry city conditions are met with a torque to weight ratio that bridges the gap between a smooth Sunday drive and tight sporty sortie - your choice. The low end torque and smooth, short throw shifter combo will satisfy the technical pilot in us all while the firm suspension and boxer style engine is responsive yet offers a comfortable ride. Now for the Quebec winters... OMG snow, please don't go. Subaru (AWD) winter confidence is addictive, fun, predictable and why I got a Subaru.

The first car I've ever bought!
By jon1848 on 11/26/03 00:00 AM (PST)

2004 Subaru Impreza 2.5 TS AWD 4dr Sport Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

This year, I decided to stop leasing and purchase a car outright. After months of research, I bought the Subaru Impreza TS Sport Wagon - what a car! The 165 horsepower feels like twice that. The acceleration is much more sport than wagon. The boxer engine helps keep the centre of gravity low and it shows in the smooth, stable cornering. The look of the car has improved significantly with departure of the Neon-esque front- end.

For an entry car, this one rules...
By Bo Gus on 10/08/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

2004 Subaru Impreza 2.5 TS AWD 4dr Sport Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

I was deciding between the Mazda Protege5 and the Subaru Impreza 2.5 TS. After a month of going back and forth between two dealerships, I purchased the Impreza. Here's why: 1- AWD, 2-160hp (flat-four boxer purr), 3- higher stance, 4-more substantial feel to the vehicle, 5-1.8% financing for 60 months, and, 6-$800 below MSRP. Both cars are excellent, but I feel that the places where the MP5 excels are superficial. Things that are missing from the TS (but can be added later ;-) are as follows: no fog lights, no rear spoiler, 15 inch steel tires, poor cup holder design, sub-par radio and speakers, no light in rear cargo area.