Used 2004 Subaru Impreza Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2004 Subaru Impreza - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Impreza model:

Great AWD car!
By scheper30

2004 Subaru Impreza 2.5 TS AWD 4dr Sport Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

I've had my 04 Impreza TS wagon for about a year and it has been awesome. I live in Illinois and bought the car in New Jersey, my parents picked up the car and drove it the next day a 1000 miles to me with no trouble. I then drove the car to NJ and back (2000 miles) a month again with no trouble. For a non-tubo model it still has a kick to it from a stop and no trouble passing at highway speeds. My car has 160,000 + miles and runs like new. The cargo area is big enough for what I need, although narrows at the top. All in all I love this car and would highly recomend it. I will definitely buy another Subaru.

My favorite feature has to be that AWD. We've had a lot of snow and ice this year and my Subaru has been amazing! I never had a problem with it getting stuck or it even slowing down. At one time I was on the hightway doing about 30 MPH when a mini van infront of me spun out of control (did a 540 and kept doing) and I was able to drive right around them with no issues. I also think the interior is comfortable and changing the radio to an aftermarket one was simple and fast (replaced b/c a CD got stuck in it and there was no AUX/USB).

There are only a few things that I would improve/change. The center console is low, but I have an aftermarket extender. The e-brake is on the passenger side of the center area, which makes is difficult to get to with the passengers leg in the way, although this is on the driver side in the newer models. The pedals are alittle close for me (I'm 6') but the steering wheel is at a comfortable distance. I wish there were rear cup holders, is an option but I don't have them and I think it should be standard. There are other options I wish I had but can live without, like fog lights, manual transmision, and all weather package. But I very happy with my Impreza.

Little charmer
By DJCLOS

2004 Subaru Impreza 2.5 RS AWD 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

Fun little car. I wanted something practical but not boring like hondas & toyotas. Car handles great, suspension is firm and gives nice feedback but on ruff roads it doesn't beat you up. Acceleration feels faster than it is. I have taken this car every where and it has never let me down. Car plows through snow. Car is a jack of all trades.

AWD handling and traction. The wrx look without $$insurance and prem fuel. Boxer rumble is best sounding 4 cylinder motor period.

Stop building attractive cars for only 2 years. 2004-2005 imprezas are the best looking ones. More power for base models. Ac compressor, water pump, & cat-converter broke before 60k.

best thing I ever own
By the physicist

2004 Subaru Impreza WRX AWD 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 4A)

6 yrs old, 147000 miles, 27 mpg with premium gas, brakes replaced at 90000 and 100000 miles! What have been replaced: a small rubber hose, 1 supporting leg of the transmission, oxygen apparatus for total $1500 last yr..Otherwise, the car handles like new.. I could drive any car under $150000, and I did selected the best one..

reliabily, SIMPLICITY JUST LIKE A SOLUTION TO A MATH/PHYSICS PROBLEM, performance, brakes

300 hp/torque in automatic would be a dream

A complete review through 120,000 miles
By 2004ILWRX

2004 Subaru Impreza WRX AWD 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 4A)

A fun and safe vehicle that has been for the most part very reliable. A blessing to drive one of these in IL winter. Problems that I've had: Tend to go through car battery every 2 years. Engine serpentine belt pulley/tensioner replaced at 80K Engine short block replaced at 115k ($elf induced) Paint is very thin and prone to chips. On average I get 22.4 mpg with includes a good mixture of highway and local driving.

AWD handling Turbo!

Improve cup holder placement and qty. Improve factory stereo system. Brakes need refinement. Improve gear ratio on 4EAT auto trans to better mesh with engine/power band. Improve paint thickness/quality Interior material scrathes too easily. Carpeting reminds me of the OEM setup in my 1970 Dodge

My Spaceship
By bond007

2004 Subaru Impreza WRX AWD 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 4A)

135000 miles in 5 yr, ave 27 mpg for mostly freeway driving with utmost reliability, my spaceship still flies the same like the very first day. Problem so far are replacement of the small rubber hose/ one axle supporting the transmission/ 2 O2 sensors...Oh! Forgot to mention the performance is devastating. Could have bought a maserati or p911 or m3, but unable to find a good reason to.

simplicity and performance and reliability

better mpg