2004 Subaru Impreza - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Impreza model:
Great AWD car!
By scheper30 on 03/07/14 18:47 PM (PST)

2004 Subaru Impreza 2.5 TS AWD 4dr Sport Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

I've had my 04 Impreza TS wagon for about a year and it has been awesome. I live in Illinois and bought the car in New Jersey, my parents picked up the car and drove it the next day a 1000 miles to me with no trouble. I then drove the car to NJ and back (2000 miles) a month again with no trouble. For a non-tubo model it still has a kick to it from a stop and no trouble passing at highway speeds. My car has 160,000 + miles and runs like new. The cargo area is big enough for what I need, although narrows at the top. All in all I love this car and would highly recomend it. I will definitely buy another Subaru.

Little charmer
By DJCLOS on 06/11/10 14:02 PM (PDT)

2004 Subaru Impreza 2.5 RS AWD 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

Fun little car. I wanted something practical but not boring like hondas & toyotas. Car handles great, suspension is firm and gives nice feedback but on ruff roads it doesn't beat you up. Acceleration feels faster than it is. I have taken this car every where and it has never let me down. Car plows through snow. Car is a jack of all trades.

best thing I ever own
By the physicist on 04/25/10 09:24 AM (PDT)

2004 Subaru Impreza WRX AWD 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 4A)

6 yrs old, 147000 miles, 27 mpg with premium gas, brakes replaced at 90000 and 100000 miles! What have been replaced: a small rubber hose, 1 supporting leg of the transmission, oxygen apparatus for total $1500 last yr..Otherwise, the car handles like new.. I could drive any car under $150000, and I did selected the best one..

A complete review through 120,000 miles
By 2004ILWRX on 04/05/10 09:43 AM (PDT)

2004 Subaru Impreza WRX AWD 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 4A)

A fun and safe vehicle that has been for the most part very reliable. A blessing to drive one of these in IL winter. Problems that I've had: Tend to go through car battery every 2 years. Engine serpentine belt pulley/tensioner replaced at 80K Engine short block replaced at 115k ($elf induced) Paint is very thin and prone to chips. On average I get 22.4 mpg with includes a good mixture of highway and local driving.

My Spaceship
By bond007 on 10/22/09 14:04 PM (PDT)

2004 Subaru Impreza WRX AWD 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 4A)

135000 miles in 5 yr, ave 27 mpg for mostly freeway driving with utmost reliability, my spaceship still flies the same like the very first day. Problem so far are replacement of the small rubber hose/ one axle supporting the transmission/ 2 O2 sensors...Oh! Forgot to mention the performance is devastating. Could have bought a maserati or p911 or m3, but unable to find a good reason to.

Car is solid
By nortel73 on 04/13/09 14:37 PM (PDT)

2004 Subaru Impreza Outback Sport AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

I've had my Outback Sport for nearly 5 years and was thinking of replacing it (vanity reasons)...but the cost to own this has been so low. I easily get 28mpg highway, brakes and tires are cheap (unlike BMW, audi and VW which are 10K more from the start), and the car is solid (unlike the Toyotas and Mazdas at the time which are comparable price wise). I have seriously abused this car and it runs fantastic.

Best Car I've Ever Owned.
By fuzzyhead on 04/08/09 04:36 AM (PDT)

2004 Subaru Impreza WRX AWD 4dr Sport Wagon (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

I've owned about 8 cars from different manufacturers, and this is the best car I've ever owned. I've gotten as high as 33 mpg on the highway (with intake and exhaust). The seats are pretty comfy. Very adjustable. The wagon is a great touring car. I've done several cross-country trips with it, and they were great. The interior is very roomy. I've even put a full-size wooden-framed futon in the back before. We used to go camping all the time in this. Great to haul a lot of gear up and down mountains. Wagon handles great with 235mm summer tires. Performs awesome with snow tires. Built very nicely. No rattles or trim problems in the cabin. I look forward to owning more Subarus!

Excellent car
By treich007 on 12/18/08 10:10 AM (PST)

2004 Subaru Impreza WRX STi AWD 4dr Sedan w/Gold-Painted Wheels (2.5L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

Overall this car is the best car I have ever driven and I would never need a better car. The handling and power are simply amazing. The ONLY thing I would like different is the gear ratio (gears are too close together).

my black beauty
By car enthuz on 11/25/08 14:06 PM (PST)

I've owned my 04 sti for about a year and have been pleased! Good everyday car, avg 20 mpg. Lowered so bumpy but drives like a dream. My water pump went out resulting in overheating, resulting in a header job at about 100k mi so keep an eye out for that. Had I caught the overheat before I did, she coulda been spared the trama. The good news, I have an xs exaust and wow, the sound! I've taken down (in speed and sound) many a mustang gt, gto, RTcharger and many v8 trucks with all kinds of loud exhausts. The sound isn't a cheap "bumble bee in a can" sound, its a full "I'm eating your soul" sound. I even put it up to a 1976 stingray (vet) I won, mutually.

WRX four years on
By super_haggis on 10/17/08 14:35 PM (PDT)

2004 Subaru Impreza WRX AWD 4dr Sport Wagon (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

Reviewed this car back when it was 6 months old. Thought I'd add a long term review. Mechanically reliable. Suspension, steering and engine all as good as the day I bought it. Interior proved to be weak. Developed a rattle in the hatchback 1 year on that the dealer never was able to fix. Rear seat covers had to be replaced under warranty after 2 years due to fraying. Various interior dash rattles have appeared over the years. Basically all due to poor quality interior materials. Fender guards cracked after 3 years and were replaced under warranty. 4 years and the clear coat started to peel from the hood scoop. Given the long term interior wear and rattles. Not sure if I would buy another.