Hit and Miss
By Diesel513 on
2003 Subaru Impreza WRX AWD 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 5M)
It's a nice car. Stock out of the box it has more perfomance than most. AWD is a definite plus especially if you have changing seasons. From what I have learned from my friends' older Imprezas, most of them aren't holding up for much longer than 80k miles. But some of my friends don't take care of their cars like they should. The car is shorter than most sedans, but that's what gives it the mobility that it has. I feel bad for the people in the back seat; there isn't a lot of room, but I never have to be back there! A few weird things: Gears are straight cut (shifting isn't as smooth as most); I get a weird hum at 60MPH (Subaru doesn't know what it is); and coolant -- you go through it like crazy, due to turbos.
Favorite Features
The car is fitted to be modified! Nice stock features are Turbos and AWD. The Turbo doesn't spool up as early in the RPM range as I would like, but gives you a good boost. AWD drive is nice because we get a lot of ice and snow here in Minnesota.
Suggested Improvements
Less restrictive intake. Don't straight cut the gears. Stock short throw shifter. Nicer interior (leather wasn't an option at this time). Middle arm rest shouldn't be an option but stock. Needs a true open air blow off instead of returning the air.