Used 2003 Subaru Impreza Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2003 Subaru Impreza - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Impreza model:

almost
By almost

2003 Subaru Impreza Sedan WRX AWD 4dr Sedan w/Spoiler (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 4A)

what a fun handling car, one of the best ever, just a same they dont back it up with a better box/interior and exterior looks. thought they would grow on me but they never did, even the new model falls short in the looks department tho' a little better.

Favorite Features

handling simply superb, and killer awd system

Suggested Improvements

launching this car quickly is a nightmare with the notchy shifter i have ever used, especially from 1st to 2nd. through in a huge amount of turbo lag, it means you have to do the boy racer/kill my clutch revs of 3500 to get anywhere near the 6sec claimed??

wrx problems
By mercmeteor

2003 Subaru Impreza Sedan WRX AWD 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

first off, i love my wrx, dont get me wrong i wouldnt trade it for anything! (but an sti!) however every rose has its thorn, and the wrx is no exception. my main problems, and the problems of others seem to revolve around the gear box. first gear is very weak. mine broke and my dealer didnt want to cover it, they eventualy did though. i just cant believe a gearset would brake before the clutch would give up! that just seems weak to me. other than that this is by far the most fun you can have in a car(in the front seat) i love it!!!

Favorite Features

all wheel drive color (blue) oh, and that turbo doesn't hurt either!

Suggested Improvements

please give us the tranny from the STI! front,instead of top mount intercooler

Dr. Impreza and Mr. WRX
By slimasian

2003 Subaru Impreza Sedan WRX AWD 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

This vehicle is just flat out fantastic. With superb handling, terrific acceleration, and, of course, AWD for under $26,000, this car is indeed quite a steal. I can't express just how much fun this car is to drive...take one for a test drive and see for yourself. Mine goes through a lot, being that I drive to work everyday (about 50 miles a day) plus trips to Vermont in harsh snowy weather...this car is a real king in any condition. It has multiple personality disorder...on one side is a docile sedan. On the other is a fierce street legal rallycar. Gotta love it.

Favorite Features

Handling, speed, AWD, functionality, can be civil if one wants, can be as aggressive as one deems fit, terrific front bucket seats

Suggested Improvements

The 5 speed manual is a little clunky (a 6 speed would've been great), unimpressive stock stereo system, power restricting catalytic converters.

This car is awsome.
By Scoobyvroom

2003 Subaru Impreza Sedan WRX AWD 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

I used to have a 350HP AWD Talon but this thing is great. It has loads of bottom end. It's o.k in the snow however I belive that the tires is what hurts it most in snow traction.However the AWD makes up for it. Very good interior build quality. Feels sound and sturdy, yet the seats are great for long distance travel. I have driven my car from MN to Chicago, IL many times and it was a wonderful car. After 3-4 hours my legs felt great no cramping or anything. Definatly worth the money for this car. I had looked at many other cars. and this blew everything out of the water for the price/quality.

Favorite Features

AWD and 227 HP need I say more. Seats are great. The 6CD indash was a creature comfort in my eyes. but now living with it makes me wonder how I did with out.

Suggested Improvements

The tires on this car are very poor. Also I wished the whole rear seat folded down. Due to the pass-throught only being about 12" wide. I would have purchased the wagon if it had the styling of the sedan more. Flared fenders and diffrent front air dam.

Lifesaver
By darley

2003 Subaru Impreza Sedan WRX AWD 4dr Sedan w/Spoiler (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

We bought the 2003 WRX with the insurance check from our 2002 WRX, which was totalled just 3 weeks after purchase. The four 19 and 20 year passengers (two of whom had no seatbelts fastened) all walked away from the crash with minor cuts and bruises. The driver drifted off the side of the highway at 80+ mph at a dangerous curve where the shoulder dropped off and the car turned over several times.

Favorite Features

The handling and all wheel drive are excellent. The car is fun to drive, especially on winding roads. It has a sports car feel - even in the station wagon which I personally prefer.

Suggested Improvements

It was impossible to buy the sedan without a spoiler without a long wait. In my opinion it adds cost with no benefit.