2003 Subaru Impreza Wagon - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Impreza model:
Serious review from real owner
By jazawash on 12/26/02 00:00 AM (PST)

2003 Subaru Impreza Wagon WRX AWD 4dr Sport Wagon (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

Have 7000 miles on my WRX wagon.I read all I could on this vehicle for about 6 months and test drove it 4 times before purchasing.Having driven everything from Acuras,Hondas,Mustangs,other Subarus and a Porsche 928.I will say this is the best all around handling, performance car I have driven.For under 25,000, a steal.In weather no comparison,unless you purchase an Audi,BMW or Volvo.Car is a blast to drive,and with mods,0-60 low 4's and 1/4 mile in 13's.Super car territory.

some flaws, but great
By wrxtarheel on 12/26/02 00:00 AM (PST)

2003 Subaru Impreza Wagon WRX AWD 4dr Sport Wagon (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

I had been drooling over a WRX since seeing them in WRC and British car mags like CAR or EVO, and was highly anticipating their advent into the US market. I've had one for 6 months and 8000 miles now. The engine is lethargic up to 3000 rpms, but then pushes the power to the wheels from that point up. Driving part-throttle is fine above 2500 rpms, but there's still that lag. Love the car in town, but find it a bit twitchy at highway speeds of 70 and up. Body is solid, with some body roll, but not bad. MPG Is not what it could be--I average about 22 in town, but 29 highway. Power can be helped with muffler or aftermarket items.

TS Wagon awesome
By Jose Merino on 12/11/02 00:00 AM (PST)

2003 Subaru Impreza Wagon 2.5 TS AWD 4dr Sport Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

great to handle, AWD is outstanding, awesome grip on turns, excellent power and acceleration, terrific power steering... fun to drive

Wow... and WOW!
By ZumaJay on 12/03/02 00:00 AM (PST)

2003 Subaru Impreza Wagon WRX AWD 4dr Sport Wagon (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 4A)

What more can be said about spending less than 26K out the door w/ a WRX fully optioned-out? Thanks to MIKE A. @ SM Subaru for letting me push him around! Anyhow, I LOVE this thing!! The car just wants to go fast... it wants to corner hard... it wants to make the driver happy.

A VW Convert
By vdubincali on 11/22/02 00:00 AM (PST)

2003 Subaru Impreza Wagon WRX AWD 4dr Sport Wagon (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

Well what to say: amazing grip, incredible launch, hard to break the tires loose. Nice styling especially for my wagon model. Completely changed my idea of Subaru as a family car. Looking forward to hitting the mountains in the AWD! Actually having space for humans and skis/snowboards, boots and garb. Easy access to storage. Nice engine design. Aggressive styling. Fogs light up the road like spots! Handling to the point of having to lay off due to fear rather than loss of traction. Nice headroom in back seats. Nice stereo for a stock system. Overall a great buy!

many grins to the mile
By sullietal on 11/15/02 00:00 AM (PST)

2003 Subaru Impreza Wagon 2.5 TS AWD 4dr Sport Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

Stiff chassis and solid steering make this car fun to drive. I look for road bumps that used to scare me in my Honda Accord. The railroad tracks are a real hoot. Gas mileage is lower than my Honda but the acceleration is far superior. the engine is smooth and strong.

The MOST fun I've had in years
By Chuck T on 11/15/02 00:00 AM (PST)

2003 Subaru Impreza Wagon WRX AWD 4dr Sport Wagon (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 4A)

I have owned this fun, and enjoyable vehicle (my first Subaru) for seven months now. The AWD & Turbo is more fun than my previously owned 1966, 912 Porsche 5 speed, and my Saab 99E (front drive). High altitude driving from Sacramento to Reno is astonishing In the rain: I can not think of another car sold in the USA that can keep up with it through a given course- that does not sell for $10,000 more. I honestly believe that Subaru must subsidize the WRX sales for WRC rules. Like GOOD wine, if you do not understand it or appreciate it- don't buy it. Those that do will SMILE- I DO! Everyday that I drive.

WRX best
By cfredrickson on 11/06/02 00:00 AM (PST)

2003 Subaru Impreza Wagon WRX AWD 4dr Sport Wagon (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

This is the best car I have owned Bar none. Fast and agile in traffic and fun to drive

It's All About Driving!
By Elad on 11/05/02 00:00 AM (PST)

2003 Subaru Impreza Wagon WRX AWD 4dr Sport Wagon (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

This car is just plain fun to drive! Jumps off the line with great acceleration once you get the engine (RPMs) spooled up. In the turns the car is balanced and rock solid with minimal body roll. Have driven in the rain and have yet to break the grip loose. Would recommend getting the short throw shifter for more precise shifting. I am averaging 21 (mpg) because it is hard to stay off the pedal in this car.

Great little Subie
By Robert Millsop on 10/20/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

2003 Subaru Impreza Wagon WRX AWD 4dr Sport Wagon (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

A Great small car. To the point.