Used 2003 Subaru Impreza Wagon Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2003 Subaru Impreza - Consumer Reviews

2003 Subaru Impreza Wagon

View reviews for a specific Impreza model:

Most Helpful|
Best Car I've Ever Owned
By ntorbett

2003 Subaru Impreza Wagon WRX AWD 4dr Sport Wagon (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

I planned on keeping my '00 Protege until it died but for a WRX I traded my reliable economy car for more power. Generally not rash to buy a vehicle, when I found a WRX wagon on sale for a great price I bought it the day I test drove it. For anyone into spirited driving on gravel roads, a WRX has no rivals for the cost. Compared to the sedan version, the wagon is sluggish but the utility of extra interior space has been worth it. Everyone I know who has considered a wagon and bought a sedan has since regretted the lack of room. Fuel economy: 22 mpg day-to-day, 29 highway, 9 when running wide open.

Favorite Features

Rough road speed combined with poor-weather handling to provide performance unlike any other vehicle in its price range. Sleeper appearance -- unless someone knows what the WRX badging means they generally mistake it for just another Subaru wagon.

Suggested Improvements

Everyone dislikes the dash cupholder, fog light & cruise engage button would be better off on stalks instead of the dash, stereo tuner "dial" should either be a normal dial or just two buttons.

The most fun I've ever had driving!
By waveoff

2003 Subaru Impreza Wagon WRX AWD 4dr Sport Wagon (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

This car is the most fun of any car that I've owned. Every car I have ever owned has utilized forced induction but this one is by far the most entertaining. I went with the wagon because my wife was having our first kid and I wanted the utility. I must say though, the trunk isn't THAT big. I can fit more stuff into my '97 Honda Civic. Also, rear leg room is meager and is only recommended for short trips. If you're really looking for a long trip family car go with an SUV or Minivan.

Favorite Features

I've done some engine modifications and other maintenance items. This car is really easy to work on. Most nuts and bolts are easy to get to. It's really quiet when cruising around with the windows shut.

Suggested Improvements

If I had to improve anything I would make the trunk floor deeper and move the rear bench seat back 3".

Ever want to hug a car?
By damienG

2003 Subaru Impreza Wagon WRX AWD 4dr Sport Wagon (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

I have been a VW fan for the last 15 years, at one time saying I would never buy anything else. That was until my '96 Jetta GLS. To say I was disappointed with it is an understatement. While looking for a replacement for that car, something fun like VW's without the problems, I started looking at the WRX wagon. I needed a wagon and 4 doors, otherwise I may have ended up with a GTi. I took the WRX for a test drive, and that is all it took. This car is pure joy to drive! I had to get one, and I did. I have been driving it now for six months, and I still love it. I still look for reasons to take it out and I am still volunteering to drive my friends to and from the airport. I love it!

Favorite Features

Steering, awd, turbo, the look of it, racing steering wheel & pedals.

Suggested Improvements

Better placement of drink holders. Dampeners for the doors (close hard). Make 17 & 18 inch rims an option.

A fun vehicle
By Daggzy

2003 Subaru Impreza Wagon Outback Sport AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

This has got to be one of the most underrated cars out there, It's practicality is useful for almost situation a driver wants(except racing) unless turbo'd. It was my best friend in 20cm of snow and its AWD never let me down.

Favorite Features

Styling, AWD, cargo space

Suggested Improvements

Mileage

After 7 years
By long time owner

2003 Subaru Impreza Wagon WRX AWD 4dr Sport Wagon (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

I bought this car brand new. It has been a rocket of a car despite the turbo lag at low rpms. Very responsive and nimble for a wagon. This was the 2nd gen WRX. Reliable except for some problems. There is strut knocking in the rear, disc/brakes problems (numerous brake replacements) not braking hard. Clutch smells when driving it hard. A bit cramped for tall people. No rear room for adults great space with seats folded down. Comparable to an SUV. Excessive wind noise and engine noise. Fogs up easy on the windows. Lots of fan noise when on high but not much output to help defog.

Favorite Features

Great power, reliable, good handling with awd. Sharp looks, great visibility all around. Solid shifting gearbox.

Suggested Improvements

Bigger brakes and clutch to handle the bigger (turbocharged) engine! I believe they are stock. I think it's corrected in later models. Better interior quality. Heated mirrors and seats standard. Reduce cabin noise from wind and engine. More options.