Used 2003 Subaru Impreza Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2003 Subaru Impreza Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Impreza model:

Best bang for the buck
By alex1234

2003 Subaru Impreza Sedan WRX AWD 4dr Sedan w/Spoiler (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

my wife wanted for me to get the 350Z, but I can think of many other ways to spend $8-12k to get the same performance. Granted the bug eye looks aren't that great and the new EVO is supposed to be overall a great performer, but this Subaru has great reliability and status. It's amazing fun to drive (2 speeding tickets in the first 6 months). Worth every penny!

comfort, build quality, AWD, great engine, safety, reliability

so what if you need to push it to 3500RPM? Are you going to race it to work? But when you need the power, rev it, and off you go. Cup holder in the wrong place (please! if that's the best complaint you have then you don't deserve this car). However, the AC is lack-luster.

Rally Car DuJour!
By BR549

2003 Subaru Impreza Sedan WRX AWD 4dr Sedan w/Spoiler (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

I traded my 2000 Honda Civic EX in for this car and have NEVER regret it! I spent a year in England and remembered watching Rally races on TV. This car is without a doubt the best I've owned so far. It's got sexy styling and after installing the short throw shifter, the changing of gears is a dream. My wife who does not care for manual transmissions even longs to drive my car! If you have one and have not tried it on a dirt road, DO SO! Other than that, it is a Mustand and Camaro killer. And I do not care what any EVO fan has to say, the rally races are still won by the Subie 90% of the time!

Styling, a killer intercooler hood scoop, turbo power, gear shifting (w/the short-throw shifter), the ability to haul people around, nice size trunk, cornering ability (even in the torrential rainstorms of Florida), decent gas mileage for a sport sedan.

Move the cup holder off the dash, integrate the radio antenna into the rear window like Honda does, larger tires.

If loving my new WRX is wrong....
By Mack1952m

2003 Subaru Impreza Sedan WRX AWD 4dr Sedan w/Spoiler (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

... I don't wanna be right! This is a wonderful car! It's fast, quick, handles well, carries kids & cargo, loves the freeway & the winding backroad, & it looks good sitting still, too! It combines many of the assets of my 2 previous cars, a '99 Saturn SL2 & a Mustang GT. It's the best of both worlds! It's a very tight, well-built machine, very comfortable, & did I mention that it was F-A-S-T ??

Acceleration! Handling! Utility! Exclusivity! Sleeper!

The cupholder (the 1 that comes out of the dash is semi-worthless, & the 1 in the console is a bit too small for a 20-ounce bottle of soda). The radio volume control should lose the detents. Sometimes a 4 is too soft & a 5 is too loud. Needs a trunk release on the key fob.

shot marks
By dave leatherman

2003 Subaru Impreza Sedan WRX AWD 4dr Sedan w/Spoiler (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

I bought this car thinking "this is it!". I admit it is a fun and fast car. But I've found it had a lot of little problems. The steering isn't always there to help you with agressive turns, shifting can be missed when pushed a bit more agressively and it is already showing signs of wear... which makes me wander how reliable it will be as years pile up. My friend bought and Evolution, I recently got a chance to drive it... and inmediately I realized my mistake. The Evo is much more refined in all aspects and has a better steering feel. I think my WRX is a great car, but I think the EVO will always be more refined... even when the 290Hp STi comes out.

Impressive acceleration and nice package overall. Rigid body.

Less engine noise: this is typical from Subaru engines, I know, but it makes you wander if those lifters and valves will hold up in time. A better defined shifter: otherwise missing gears when driving agressively is a given. More refinement overall.

2002 WRX Sedan
By Sox

2003 Subaru Impreza Sedan WRX AWD 4dr Sedan w/Spoiler (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

Truly an amazing car. Handles like a dream in snow, ice and rain. Turns heads like nobody's business. A great, reliable, quick, funtional car. You can take this to the track and then on a roadtrip and not have to change a thing. Trunk is huge. I've actually fit 3 people in the back for a 3-hour trip.

Boost...... Sexiness

Tires are poopoo. Transmission could be a little more sound, too.