Used 2003 Subaru Impreza Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2003 Subaru Impreza - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Impreza model:

wrx problems
By mercmeteor

2003 Subaru Impreza WRX AWD 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

first off, i love my wrx, dont get me wrong i wouldnt trade it for anything! (but an sti!) however every rose has its thorn, and the wrx is no exception. my main problems, and the problems of others seem to revolve around the gear box. first gear is very weak. mine broke and my dealer didnt want to cover it, they eventualy did though. i just cant believe a gearset would brake before the clutch would give up! that just seems weak to me. other than that this is by far the most fun you can have in a car(in the front seat) i love it!!!

all wheel drive color (blue) oh, and that turbo doesn't hurt either!

please give us the tranny from the STI! front,instead of top mount intercooler

Dr. Impreza and Mr. WRX
By slimasian

2003 Subaru Impreza WRX AWD 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

This vehicle is just flat out fantastic. With superb handling, terrific acceleration, and, of course, AWD for under $26,000, this car is indeed quite a steal. I can't express just how much fun this car is to drive...take one for a test drive and see for yourself. Mine goes through a lot, being that I drive to work everyday (about 50 miles a day) plus trips to Vermont in harsh snowy weather...this car is a real king in any condition. It has multiple personality disorder...on one side is a docile sedan. On the other is a fierce street legal rallycar. Gotta love it.

Handling, speed, AWD, functionality, can be civil if one wants, can be as aggressive as one deems fit, terrific front bucket seats

The 5 speed manual is a little clunky (a 6 speed would've been great), unimpressive stock stereo system, power restricting catalytic converters.

When Lease Over, Will Get Another
By Crosbie

2003 Subaru Impreza WRX AWD 4dr Sport Wagon (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

In March 2001, I leased one of the first WRX in the U.S. and am very pleased after two years of driving it. It can outrun, out accelerate, and outcorner anything but the Porsche 911s or BMW M series on dry roads and outdo anything on rainy or snowy roads. Yet police never notice it (particularly my low-key black WRX wagon). I've got another year left on the lease, but am already planning to lease a newer WRX.

Impossible to spin or skid. And 0-60 in 5.5 seconds.

I'm glad that the newer WRXs remove the bug-eyed headlights. Besides that, what's not to like?

This car is awsome.
By Scoobyvroom

2003 Subaru Impreza WRX AWD 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

I used to have a 350HP AWD Talon but this thing is great. It has loads of bottom end. It's o.k in the snow however I belive that the tires is what hurts it most in snow traction.However the AWD makes up for it. Very good interior build quality. Feels sound and sturdy, yet the seats are great for long distance travel. I have driven my car from MN to Chicago, IL many times and it was a wonderful car. After 3-4 hours my legs felt great no cramping or anything. Definatly worth the money for this car. I had looked at many other cars. and this blew everything out of the water for the price/quality.

AWD and 227 HP need I say more. Seats are great. The 6CD indash was a creature comfort in my eyes. but now living with it makes me wonder how I did with out.

The tires on this car are very poor. Also I wished the whole rear seat folded down. Due to the pass-throught only being about 12" wide. I would have purchased the wagon if it had the styling of the sedan more. Flared fenders and diffrent front air dam.

A Wolf in Sheep's Clothing on the Cheap
By Subaru Wagon Fan

2003 Subaru Impreza WRX AWD 4dr Sport Wagon (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

The 0-60 starts from the tollbooth gate are something to behold at 5.4 seconds. All this in a reliable economy compact wagon under $25,000 that gets over 20mpg on average. Handling with 4wd is razor sharp. Driven normally, it is a very comfortable well-behaved car. Driven hard it is amazing! It is, however, one of the ugliest cars on the road. It takes practice to eliminate turbo lag. Wagon space compared to the Subaru Legacy is tiny. You'll need to fold the back seats down for real hauling space.

Performance and handling. 0 to 60 in 5.4 seconds. 4wd. Low Price.

Exterior styling PLEASE. Eliminate the turbo lag. A seek button on the radio.