Used 2003 Subaru Impreza WRX Wagon Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2003 Subaru Impreza Wagon - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Impreza model:

After 7 years
By long time owner

2003 Subaru Impreza Wagon WRX AWD 4dr Sport Wagon (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

I bought this car brand new. It has been a rocket of a car despite the turbo lag at low rpms. Very responsive and nimble for a wagon. This was the 2nd gen WRX. Reliable except for some problems. There is strut knocking in the rear, disc/brakes problems (numerous brake replacements) not braking hard. Clutch smells when driving it hard. A bit cramped for tall people. No rear room for adults great space with seats folded down. Comparable to an SUV. Excessive wind noise and engine noise. Fogs up easy on the windows. Lots of fan noise when on high but not much output to help defog.

Great power, reliable, good handling with awd. Sharp looks, great visibility all around. Solid shifting gearbox.

Bigger brakes and clutch to handle the bigger (turbocharged) engine! I believe they are stock. I think it's corrected in later models. Better interior quality. Heated mirrors and seats standard. Reduce cabin noise from wind and engine. More options.

poor mans sports car
By guido1952

2003 Subaru Impreza Wagon WRX AWD 4dr Sport Wagon (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

This car is fun...fun...fun!!! As long as the engine rpm is kept in its powerband, you'll have the feeling that it is much larger than the 2.0l that it is. My car is a 5 speed. Stomp on the pedal, and its warp speed capable! The car handles the road as if were velcroed to it. Living in Vermont, there is no shortage of twisting roads. Some of which, have more kinks in them, than a roll of cheap garden hose. Yeehah!!! I truly wish that I could drive this beast, as it was designed to be driven. If I did, I'd be walkin'! Speeding tickets are expensive. With a few tweaks, my mileage is hovering around 32 mpg. Thank you Subaru,

100 watt stereo, a/c, cruise, 32 mpg and fun, fun, fun.

Heater controls. Switch them around. Replace the stock intake plumbing with a cold air intake system.

Love my Rex
By Thedog

2003 Subaru Impreza Wagon WRX AWD 4dr Sport Wagon (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

I chose my black WRX wagon over an Acura RSX-S. I am glad I did. This car is fast, handles great, drives well, and has been a reliable work horse. I only wish I had hills, curves, and snow to drive it in.

The power and handling. This is a car I love to be in. Being a wagon has helped with practical stuff. Seating is comfortable. Did I mention that I like the power and handling?

Better paint. The paint is weak. Scratches, dings, and swirls way too easy. An optional 6-speed is definitely a must. Would have preferred 17" wheels as standard. 16" wheels make the car float a little in the handling. Make the shifter a little shorter. My wife would like larger cup holders.

Ever want to hug a car?
By damienG

2003 Subaru Impreza Wagon WRX AWD 4dr Sport Wagon (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

I have been a VW fan for the last 15 years, at one time saying I would never buy anything else. That was until my '96 Jetta GLS. To say I was disappointed with it is an understatement. While looking for a replacement for that car, something fun like VW's without the problems, I started looking at the WRX wagon. I needed a wagon and 4 doors, otherwise I may have ended up with a GTi. I took the WRX for a test drive, and that is all it took. This car is pure joy to drive! I had to get one, and I did. I have been driving it now for six months, and I still love it. I still look for reasons to take it out and I am still volunteering to drive my friends to and from the airport. I love it!

Steering, awd, turbo, the look of it, racing steering wheel & pedals.

Better placement of drink holders. Dampeners for the doors (close hard). Make 17 & 18 inch rims an option.

Subaru's rock
By Aaron Walker

2003 Subaru Impreza Wagon WRX AWD 4dr Sport Wagon (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

This car rocks -- I love it.

Cornering is amazing, it grips to the road. In snowing conditions, it never slips.

Interior needs some help, my floor mats are terrible and it's a little noisy.