Used 2003 Subaru Impreza Wagon Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2003 Subaru Impreza - Consumer Reviews

2003 Subaru Impreza Wagon

View reviews for a specific Impreza model:

After 7 years
By long time owner

2003 Subaru Impreza Wagon WRX AWD 4dr Sport Wagon (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

I bought this car brand new. It has been a rocket of a car despite the turbo lag at low rpms. Very responsive and nimble for a wagon. This was the 2nd gen WRX. Reliable except for some problems. There is strut knocking in the rear, disc/brakes problems (numerous brake replacements) not braking hard. Clutch smells when driving it hard. A bit cramped for tall people. No rear room for adults great space with seats folded down. Comparable to an SUV. Excessive wind noise and engine noise. Fogs up easy on the windows. Lots of fan noise when on high but not much output to help defog.

Favorite Features

Great power, reliable, good handling with awd. Sharp looks, great visibility all around. Solid shifting gearbox.

Suggested Improvements

Bigger brakes and clutch to handle the bigger (turbocharged) engine! I believe they are stock. I think it's corrected in later models. Better interior quality. Heated mirrors and seats standard. Reduce cabin noise from wind and engine. More options.

It does it all!
By Dave

2003 Subaru Impreza Wagon 2.5 TS AWD 4dr Sport Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

I never write reviews, but I love this car and feel I owe it to the brand. I am completely sold on Subarus from now on. Snow, dirt, and wet roads are afterthoughts in this thing. I have taken it everywhere from snowdrifts to Jeep trails, and never had to second guess it. My favorite feature about it is storage space. I considered the few other cars with the elusive combination of storage and fuel efficiency, but none can touch the Subaru's AWD drivetrain. I will never go back to owning a truck for recreational purposes. The wagon can carry multiple bikes, gear for all and still have room for my dog. I love this car.

Favorite Features

Storage, reliability, versatility

Suggested Improvements

None

A fun vehicle
By Daggzy

2003 Subaru Impreza Wagon Outback Sport AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

This has got to be one of the most underrated cars out there, It's practicality is useful for almost situation a driver wants(except racing) unless turbo'd. It was my best friend in 20cm of snow and its AWD never let me down.

Favorite Features

Styling, AWD, cargo space

Suggested Improvements

Mileage

poor mans sports car
By guido1952

2003 Subaru Impreza Wagon WRX AWD 4dr Sport Wagon (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

This car is fun...fun...fun!!! As long as the engine rpm is kept in its powerband, you'll have the feeling that it is much larger than the 2.0l that it is. My car is a 5 speed. Stomp on the pedal, and its warp speed capable! The car handles the road as if were velcroed to it. Living in Vermont, there is no shortage of twisting roads. Some of which, have more kinks in them, than a roll of cheap garden hose. Yeehah!!! I truly wish that I could drive this beast, as it was designed to be driven. If I did, I'd be walkin'! Speeding tickets are expensive. With a few tweaks, my mileage is hovering around 32 mpg. Thank you Subaru,

Favorite Features

100 watt stereo, a/c, cruise, 32 mpg and fun, fun, fun.

Suggested Improvements

Heater controls. Switch them around. Replace the stock intake plumbing with a cold air intake system.

Love my Rex
By Thedog

2003 Subaru Impreza Wagon WRX AWD 4dr Sport Wagon (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

I chose my black WRX wagon over an Acura RSX-S. I am glad I did. This car is fast, handles great, drives well, and has been a reliable work horse. I only wish I had hills, curves, and snow to drive it in.

Favorite Features

The power and handling. This is a car I love to be in. Being a wagon has helped with practical stuff. Seating is comfortable. Did I mention that I like the power and handling?

Suggested Improvements

Better paint. The paint is weak. Scratches, dings, and swirls way too easy. An optional 6-speed is definitely a must. Would have preferred 17" wheels as standard. 16" wheels make the car float a little in the handling. Make the shifter a little shorter. My wife would like larger cup holders.