2002 Subaru Impreza Consumer Review: fun with headaches

2002 Subaru Impreza - Consumer Review

WRX Sedan (2.0L 4-cyl. Turbo AWD 5-speed Manual)

fun with headaches
By subypd on

2002 Subaru Impreza WRX AWD 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

I ordered my WRX from the dealership in 2000 when I first read it would be imported to the states. I have loved driving it for the last eight years, this coming form a former mustang owner. Wasn't quite as fast in a straight line but did everything else well. After owning this car I will NEVER buy a new model in the first year. The windows squeak, paint is too thin, had the defective fuel rail system replaced (twice) and the engine blew at 119K. Still have no idea why. Salvage long block set me back $5500 installed. Now the A/C compressor is about to go. Most of the bugs were worked out by the middle of 2003. Would buy it again, just not in the first build year.

Great traction, wonderful exhaust note with aftermarket pipes. Fun in the snow!

Thicker clear coat on the paint. Road chips have torn apart my hood and fenders. Tires have always been too narrow on Subaru's but I'm guessing it's to better work with the awd. And why do I have to use premium fuel? They should have designed it to run on regular.