2002 Subaru Impreza Consumer Review: OK car, not great but good

2002 Subaru Impreza - Consumer Review

2.5 RS Sedan (2.5L 4-cyl. AWD 5-speed Manual)

OK car, not great but good
By JTP on

2002 Subaru Impreza 2.5 RS AWD 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

I typically put around 225,000 on my cars before I let them go. Some limp in (escort), make it like champs (prelude), this one is somewhere in between. Not many problems, but the ones I had were odd. Catalytic converter at 50 K mi, head gasket at 150 K, oil pump shortly thereafter. Windshield keeps breaking, seemingly by itself. Fog lamps are expensive and break a lot. I gave up and drive with them broken. I like this car and would consider another one because it is a kick to drive. But our legacy outback is a much, much better car. Edmunds says it gets 21, but I typically get 26, a little less with city alone. 28 if I am gentle.

All wheel drive is really worth it in Michigan. Good handling, good gas mileage.

The wheels seem to have a wide pan. Mud gets in them and sticks, throwing the wheels out of balance. Fog lamps are a waste, but they have changed those to smaller profile, that may do it.