2002 Subaru Impreza Consumer Review: Great to drive, awful to repai

2002 Subaru Impreza - Consumer Review

WRX Sedan (2.0L 4-cyl. Turbo AWD 5-speed Manual)

Great to drive, awful to repair
By Nick on

2002 Subaru Impreza WRX AWD 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

Well, I was very excited to buy this car a little over a year ago.The brakes went quickly, the paint chips way too easily. And it is VERY LOUD with the windows down, and if you smoke cigarettes in the car the ash comes back in and blows everywhere. But it's very fast and handles excellent, and it is amazingly predictable in the snow. The boxer motor is brilliant and the throttle response is unbelievable.Truly one of the fastest vehicles in that price range. But I will never buy another Subaru because of their transmissions. I've had to rebuild my transmission twice this MONTH ALONE! The input shaft (R,1st and 2nd) is cheaply made and I have pics of the gear completely munched under normal driving.

So fast, and the hood scoop is mean.The fog lights are an awesome feature, it lights up the road wonderfully, and the AWD system makes driving in any kind of poor weather not only safe, but fun! And it's so fast.

Subaru needs to work on the aerodynamics of the car, and the car is kinda ugly looking. Biggest problem, TRANSMISSIONS ARE WEAK, all the power goes directly to the tranny.