2002 Subaru Impreza Consumer Review: A dream car made real

2002 Subaru Impreza - Consumer Review

WRX Wagon (2.0L 4-cyl. Turbo AWD 5-speed Manual)

A dream car made real
By bigtrick on

2002 Subaru Impreza WRX AWD 4dr Sport Wagon (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

I've had this car for about 8 months now. For 7 months, I drove this baby 660 miles almost every weekend between MN and IL. I can say that as competent as this car is as a performance beast, it is also a collected highway cruiser. My gripes would be wind noise (noticeable above 70mph) and long-term comfort of the seats (on a drive from Chicago to Denver and back, the padding on the seat is noticeably flat and uncontoured). Besides that, it's an awesome car. So fast it's silly, yet spacious and utilitarian. It hauls ass and hauls goods - I fit 3 people, a drum set, and a saxophone in there. In short, I love this car!

Killer acceleration. Killer grip. Killer cornering. Massive cargo capability with the rear seats folded down. All-weather capability. Huge modding potential.

Sore butt after more than 300 miles in the saddle. Fuel economy not on par with other compacts (then again, what other compact has 227 hp...?). Wind noise.