2002 Subaru Impreza Wagon - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Impreza model:
A dream car made real
By bigtrick on 09/24/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

2002 Subaru Impreza Wagon WRX AWD 4dr Sport Wagon (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

I've had this car for about 8 months now. For 7 months, I drove this baby 660 miles almost every weekend between MN and IL. I can say that as competent as this car is as a performance beast, it is also a collected highway cruiser. My gripes would be wind noise (noticeable above 70mph) and long-term comfort of the seats (on a drive from Chicago to Denver and back, the padding on the seat is noticeably flat and uncontoured). Besides that, it's an awesome car. So fast it's silly, yet spacious and utilitarian. It hauls ass and hauls goods - I fit 3 people, a drum set, and a saxophone in there. In short, I love this car!

My Rex!
By Slinky on 09/22/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

2002 Subaru Impreza Wagon WRX AWD 4dr Sport Wagon (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

I absolutely love this car. From the handling to the speed. I have put this car through alot of road testing, both on and off, and have been completely satisfied. One recent trips included Colorado where we drove it to the top of Pike's Peak. It performed like a dream. The turbo handled the high altitude like a charm. I have the 5 speed manual, and with that comes the initial lag at start off. But in a matter of miliseconds that turbo kicks in and you are gone!

practical, fast and amazingly agile
By buckalau on 09/16/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

2002 Subaru Impreza Wagon WRX AWD 4dr Sport Wagon (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

I bought this car after trying to decide between the Volkswagen GTI and WRX. But after online research and test drive there was no comparison. This car rocks! i can go to the snow with no worries and can haul around my junk with all the cargo space, and with a permanent grin on my face. The car is super quick and hangs the corners.

Warp 10 in a wagon!
By Mr Subaru on 08/07/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

2002 Subaru Impreza Wagon WRX AWD 4dr Sport Wagon (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

Quick and responsive on all surface conditions and all speeds (at least up to 115mph). Unlike other Japanese cars, this car feels very solid. The interior styling is best discribed as spartan and pragmatic. But on weekends, the unmodified WRX can teach many teen streetracers the meaning of "fast and furious".

Best new car I've ever owned
By turborob on 08/01/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

2002 Subaru Impreza Wagon WRX AWD 4dr Sport Wagon (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

After 10 months and 16K miles, I've decided that this is the best car I've ever purchased. So far there have been zero repairs necessary which I've NEVER experienced with a new car. It's not a race car, but performance is great, handling is very competent and the ride quality is just right, firm but not harsh at all. It is noticably slower in very hot weather. Interior quality seems better than average for a small car, but nothing spectacular. It is also very quiet inside for a small car. Seats and steering wheel are excellent, ergonomics are good.

Fast, fun AND practical
By Toddster on 08/01/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

2002 Subaru Impreza Wagon WRX AWD 4dr Sport Wagon (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

I love this car. Fast, handles well. Stupid SUV drivers think they can beat me off the line and I love leaving them in the dust. There's plenty of storage (holds more than my girlfriends Landrover) and the back seats are acceptable too. Don't get that Mini-SUV, get a WRX...

Best Bang for your HiPerf Buck
By Ray_NH_WRX on 07/23/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

2002 Subaru Impreza Wagon WRX AWD 4dr Sport Wagon (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

The WRX is an excellent deal, especially for a life-long rally fan. I was in the market and shopping the Audi family and the Porche Boxter S. This thing will keep up and pass these cars on or off road. For the low $20k's - there is NOT a better deal on the road for this kind of performance. Made minor mods (BOV, intake).

at 2,000 miles
By funnycar on 07/04/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

2002 Subaru Impreza Wagon WRX AWD 4dr Sport Wagon (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

a little launch lag, but after that hold on, it's a whole lotta fun!

It's not just for kids!
By HerbH on 06/27/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

2002 Subaru Impreza Wagon WRX AWD 4dr Sport Wagon (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

Having owned Imprezas since 1996, I was expecting a faster, but no more refined, car in the WRX. Surprise! The WRX is much smoother and quieter than its less sporty predecessors. At first the controls felt too light, and the seat felt too hard, but after a long drive I feel quite fresh. The turbo lag is not very noticeable except at high altitude with the AC running. Then you need to coordinate clutch and throttle with finesse. Reports of lousy mileage are due to test drive behavior; I'm averaging 23- 26, and I drive fast but efficiently. Coolest experience? Going up to Donner Pass (7,200 feet) at half throttle in fifth gear at 70-80mph.

Best car I ever owned
By Drover on 06/25/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

2002 Subaru Impreza Wagon WRX AWD 4dr Sport Wagon (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

The WRX is the best all-around performance bargain America. In the right hands, it will outperform a new Mustang GT in a 0-60 or 1/4-mile yet it has the utility to haul a family of 4 and 2 weeks worth of groceries. Those used to Taurus- or Camry-like handling will find the suspension tuning of this car somewhat rough. Yet compared to other cars in its price and performance class, the WRX has a positively smooth ride. Overall, an exceptional convergence of spirited performance, daily/family adaptability, reliability and affordability.