Used 2002 Subaru Impreza Wagon Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2002 Subaru Impreza - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Impreza model:

the everything car
By raja

2002 Subaru Impreza Wagon WRX AWD 4dr Sport Wagon (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

I researched car extensively before buying, and was the only thing in it's class for the money. best deal for the money out there,I've had many fast cars and built many more, this will beat most off the line.

Favorite Features

acceleration, functional hood scoop, looks of the car, teardrop headlights.AWD is awesome. get the boost guage, expensive but worth it.very good gas mileage, beats a 5.0 mustang and then leaves it at the gas pump

Suggested Improvements

clutch chatter when cold occasionally, increase the low end response with the boost, unless it drops the gas mileage. spruce up the interior with some wrx emblems.

2002 WRX Wagon
By The Dream

2002 Subaru Impreza Wagon WRX AWD 4dr Sport Wagon (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

VERY fun to drive. Disappointed that the wagon doesn't have the same curves / lines on the body as the sedan. ABS too sensitive. Downshifting usually helps... ABS sucks if you're trying to eat an ice cream cone or something though - really is too sensitive - esp. on bumpy roads. Love the car though.. I guess the one thing I would change (and I've been putting it off) is the ABS. Still haven't found affordable fog light covers either.

Favorite Features

dash is nice. shifting is cool. Love the stock rims / wheels - quite sticky.

Suggested Improvements

Make the ABS less sensitive. Better stock sound would be nice too. Radio controls are a bit clunky - not very "ergonomic" - Should have multiple use controls and squeeze more functionality on face. Turbo abit slow too. Would like it ~2800 RPM. Comes in 3200 or so instead.

My car Spike
By Albert Long

2002 Subaru Impreza Wagon WRX AWD 4dr Sport Wagon (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

I bought my WRX in April of 2001 which was the first year they were produced. When I first saw it, I thought that from the front it looked like a bulldog and since every bulldog I have ever known was named spike I named my WRX "Spike" and it immeditatly became a member of the family. After three years and 35000 miles it has never let me down. In that time it has developed only one minor problem: a slight gasoline leak that was quickly taken care of. I know that when it comes time to trade Spike, that it's going to be like having to put down your pet.

Favorite Features

The turbo. Even though I don't make a habit of hotroding it, it's comfortable knowing that if I wanted to, I could and to see the look on their face when a gray-headed 67 year old man blows their doors off.

Suggested Improvements

I can't see where they could improve the car. The only suggestion I could come up with is that although the service is very accommodating, It's just so darn expensive.

Fun car to drive
By Manifesto11

2002 Subaru Impreza Wagon Outback Sport AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

Quality between this car and my previous Cavalier are night and day. AWD was a nice selling point. The car's only getting about 23mpg overall. After my wife's bad accident, she came out without a scratch (going 55mph in a snowstorm in the mountains). Snow tires will be on our list for next winter. Front and rear seating feels roomy for a small car, but the cargo room feels very limited even with the hatchback).

Favorite Features

Responsive cornering, sporty, exterior appearance, standard bike rack (works great with Thule bike system), hatchback with folding down rear seats makes the car extremely functional, AWD is what sets this car apart.

Suggested Improvements

Engine feels weak, you must be close to the car for keyless entry to work, horn is rediculously loud when you lock or unlock the car, tires could be a little wider.

Best
By steel143

2002 Subaru Impreza Wagon WRX AWD 4dr Sport Wagon (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

What i like best is the performance

Favorite Features

The horse power

Suggested Improvements

There is no improvements needed