2002 Subaru Impreza TS Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2002 Subaru Impreza - Consumer Reviews

2002 Impreza Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Impreza model:

Sort Reviews by

Fun Drive - Great features
By Ratpolfe

2002 Subaru Impreza WRX AWD 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

I test drove and automatic first, No fun. Bought a manual, and had the time of my life. I did alot of research and poking around for these, and it only helped me buy this car faster than i normally would have.

Favorite Features

AWD, Turbo, Acceleration, In-dash cd changer, fuel efficieny, exceptional handling (or it feels that way comming out of a jeep into it)

Suggested Improvements

Cant think of any

Long on Performance, short on looks
By Gwennie

2002 Subaru Impreza WRX AWD 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

Amazing performance car. I have had a few problems with it listed below. Very difficult to shift into first gear-almost always, but especially in the cold. Almost impossible to shift into reverse. Eats oil like crazy (though not leaking) and the dealer does not want to admit that it is a problem. (1 quart every 1,000 miles)

Favorite Features

Suggested Improvements

paint quality, gear shift, oil problem

the everything car
By raja

2002 Subaru Impreza WRX AWD 4dr Sport Wagon (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

I researched car extensively before buying, and was the only thing in it's class for the money. best deal for the money out there,I've had many fast cars and built many more, this will beat most off the line.

Favorite Features

acceleration, functional hood scoop, looks of the car, teardrop headlights.AWD is awesome. get the boost guage, expensive but worth it.very good gas mileage, beats a 5.0 mustang and then leaves it at the gas pump

Suggested Improvements

clutch chatter when cold occasionally, increase the low end response with the boost, unless it drops the gas mileage. spruce up the interior with some wrx emblems.

The not- so-great car
By Lilmizme87

2002 Subaru Impreza 2.5 RS AWD 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

I bought this car used, maybe that was the first mistake. The second week I had it, something was wrong with the transimission. Two months later something was wrong with the engine. A month later, the same problem came back because the dealership didn't fix it the first time. Now, the transmission needs to be fix, again. I take very good care of this car, yet it falls apart easily. I don't race it (cause I'd lose) and I don't floor it every time I drive. It should not be falling apart so much. I would not recommend this car considering you'll be looking for alternative transportation since it'll be in the shop every other week.

Favorite Features

The exterior is awesome. People are always interested in it until they realize it isn't turbo.

Suggested Improvements

Don't buy it.

2002 WRX Wagon
By The Dream

2002 Subaru Impreza WRX AWD 4dr Sport Wagon (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

VERY fun to drive. Disappointed that the wagon doesn't have the same curves / lines on the body as the sedan. ABS too sensitive. Downshifting usually helps... ABS sucks if you're trying to eat an ice cream cone or something though - really is too sensitive - esp. on bumpy roads. Love the car though.. I guess the one thing I would change (and I've been putting it off) is the ABS. Still haven't found affordable fog light covers either.

Favorite Features

dash is nice. shifting is cool. Love the stock rims / wheels - quite sticky.

Suggested Improvements

Make the ABS less sensitive. Better stock sound would be nice too. Radio controls are a bit clunky - not very "ergonomic" - Should have multiple use controls and squeeze more functionality on face. Turbo abit slow too. Would like it ~2800 RPM. Comes in 3200 or so instead.

Best car I've ever owned
By Stallion

2002 Subaru Impreza WRX AWD 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

It's fun, it's fast, and it's cool. You will definately turn heads.

Favorite Features

The turbo obviously and the AWD. All four wheels on the ground equals fantastic driving.

Suggested Improvements

More horses. The power is intoxicating. You just want more!! Oh, and they need to get rid of the cat in the uppipe like they did with the STI.

Great car
By C-Dog

2002 Subaru Impreza WRX AWD 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

Just got it and love it. I ahve drove awd turbos in the past, but this car is so smooth compared to those(the other car was a eagle talon). Great ride!

Favorite Features

Turbo, 6 disc cd in dash, exterior styling

Suggested Improvements

open up exhaust alittle to prevent the turbo from lagging soo much

My car Spike
By Albert Long

2002 Subaru Impreza WRX AWD 4dr Sport Wagon (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

I bought my WRX in April of 2001 which was the first year they were produced. When I first saw it, I thought that from the front it looked like a bulldog and since every bulldog I have ever known was named spike I named my WRX "Spike" and it immeditatly became a member of the family. After three years and 35000 miles it has never let me down. In that time it has developed only one minor problem: a slight gasoline leak that was quickly taken care of. I know that when it comes time to trade Spike, that it's going to be like having to put down your pet.

Favorite Features

The turbo. Even though I don't make a habit of hotroding it, it's comfortable knowing that if I wanted to, I could and to see the look on their face when a gray-headed 67 year old man blows their doors off.

Suggested Improvements

I can't see where they could improve the car. The only suggestion I could come up with is that although the service is very accommodating, It's just so darn expensive.

Fun car to drive
By Manifesto11

2002 Subaru Impreza Outback Sport AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

Quality between this car and my previous Cavalier are night and day. AWD was a nice selling point. The car's only getting about 23mpg overall. After my wife's bad accident, she came out without a scratch (going 55mph in a snowstorm in the mountains). Snow tires will be on our list for next winter. Front and rear seating feels roomy for a small car, but the cargo room feels very limited even with the hatchback).

Favorite Features

Responsive cornering, sporty, exterior appearance, standard bike rack (works great with Thule bike system), hatchback with folding down rear seats makes the car extremely functional, AWD is what sets this car apart.

Suggested Improvements

Engine feels weak, you must be close to the car for keyless entry to work, horn is rediculously loud when you lock or unlock the car, tires could be a little wider.

Big bang for the buck!
By Waldo1974

2002 Subaru Impreza WRX AWD 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

Goes like a champ in the snow.Handles like a dream.Keep the revs up and the turbo rocks.Yes the front seats are a bit uncomfortable on long drives, but you'll love the way they hug you as you throw the car into a tight turn at 60mph.Yes the cup holder sucks.Yes paint quality is average at best.Yes, the clutch does shutter when cold for a bit.And yes it would be nice to have split rear seats (but that makes the care less stiff).If you buy this car thinking it is a luxury automobile, it's not.If you want cushy seats, nice cup holders, and a smoother ride get a Caddy and enjoy your early bird special at Denny's with the rest of your demographic.

Favorite Features

AWD, turbo, handling, brakes are amazing, great stero (if you get the upgrade), looks are unique, highly upgradeable (be careful not to void warranty)

Suggested Improvements

Tranny makes me nervous based on "stories" I've heard, got a couple rattles in the dash (the 15k pot holes where I live have more to do with this than the car), paint does chip easy, skid plate for the engine (ice, snow, rocks could cause problems), upgrade stock intake