Used 2002 Subaru Impreza Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2002 Subaru Impreza - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Impreza model:

Great Car!
By fast4

2002 Subaru Impreza WRX AWD 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

Bought this car used with 18K miles on it. The only mechanical fault that I ever experienced was a "Clutch Shudder" problem that was fixed under warranty at 20K miles. The ride is solid, responsive and communicative.

TURBO and All Wheel Drive! After market support is great. Online support is great.

None.

Love it!
By Ion

2002 Subaru Impreza WRX AWD 4dr Sport Wagon (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

This has been my daily driver since new. I change the oil with Mobil 1 and the car behaves like new, even with 54,000 miles. I still have the same brakes and just changed the tires. I drive 55 miles/day and many of those miles are on twisty roads with tight corners (Sunset Blvd. in L.A.). The car corners and accelerates beautifully. I highly recommend it as an economical (average 25.5 mpg) fun car to drive.

Handling, acceleration.

I like the seats, but my wife thinks they're a bit too firm and uncomfortable for long rides.

My Review
By omar777

2002 Subaru Impreza Outback Sport AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

Overall a good car. Bought it used and so far have not had any major problems with it. Parts and labor are a little expensive. Not too much visibility from the driver's seat when backing up. Seats not very comfortable.

Good a/c, design, reliability, handling, awd.

Seats more comfortable, better rear view from driver's seat, fuel economy, softer shock absorbers.

First of many
By 128OBS

2002 Subaru Impreza Outback Sport AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

What initially interested me in Subaru was the reputation for handling and safety. My first test drive sold me and now I donít want to drive anything else. The flat 4 engine and the all wheel drive make it a unique vehicle. I especially appreciate how it handles in the rain. I have not experienced any problems. All I have done is regular maintenance. I plan to keep this car. I may buy a second Subaru, but Iím keeping this one.

The handling, the flat 4 engine and the cargo mat.

The stock tires, not impressed. They were replaced/upgraded around 24,000 miles.

reliable, trouble free car
By eric

2002 Subaru Impreza WRX AWD 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

It is a generally a well made car. I performed most of the fluid/filter change maintenance myself. The stock battery is too tiny, with the tiny alternator so got to watch out if you don't drive the car often or has a low mileage local commute. Cold start clutch shuddering is a well known "feature", and a hard to get in reverse gear. I have been stuck in city street trying to make u-turn because could not get in reverse. At 34k miles now the car desperately need the brake fluid change and a tune up. The really bad thing is the resale value comparably low but the car is a really good car, very reliable. Paint chips very easily. 3k miles synthetic oil change can be very troublesome and expensive, but is a must.

Reliability, mod-friendly, safe.

Back in 02 only a handful of mechanics know how to work on these cars, very easy to ruin if not properly modded. 5k instead of 3k miles change, fix the turbo lag, better brake feel. Smaller steering wheel, better turning ratio. Consider wide body on the wagon model. And better trade in value.