2002 Subaru Impreza - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Impreza model:
Fantastic Ride
By RedRocketWRX on 03/31/05 21:18 PM (PST)

2002 Subaru Impreza WRX AWD 4dr Sport Wagon (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

The WRX is extremely mod-friendly and a little goes a long way. Something as simple as redoing the air intake helps turbo spool-up and smooths out acceleration over the whole power band. I am very impressed with its performance across the board....acceleration, handling, and response are excellent. Front seats are well-bolstered and comfortable. Plenty of cargo room with the rear seats down. AWD is fantastic in the snow. Small annoyances -- lack of useful cupholders (but this is not a car for sippin' lattes while you drive!); low-end torque (fixable with mods); and clutch chatter (a known problem); 1st gear synchronizer seems to be "fragile". I think I'm spoiled.

Fast and Fun Hauler
By Wrxalot on 03/17/05 17:02 PM (PST)

2002 Subaru Impreza WRX AWD 4dr Sport Wagon (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

I bought my WRX Wagon for its rally bred performance. Since then I had a kid and it has turned into a family wagon but when my son isn't in the car its a sports car again. I can haul lots of stuff and have used it to move twice. I had a lease but just decided to buy out the lease and keep it. After all it is still a Subaru. Feels like it will last forever.

Jekyll and Hyde
By Eric on 03/13/05 21:52 PM (PST)

2002 Subaru Impreza WRX AWD 4dr Sport Wagon (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

If you live in places with twisty roads, bad weather and few stop signs, this is probably the best car for the money. That said, if most of your driving is done in stop-and go city conditions, look elsewhere. The WRX has only two modes: it's a dog below 3000 RPM, and a rocket above it. The shifter also won't downshift from 2nd to 1st unless the car is at a dead stop. City driving is downright annoying.

Good Car
By Harry on 02/20/05 13:59 PM (PST)

2002 Subaru Impreza WRX AWD 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

Great little car , runs very strong, funto drive. On the downside, paint is thin, chips easily. Stock brakes and clutchare only fair. AWD good in northeast. Great for the money !

Superior Product
By vlord on 02/16/05 16:46 PM (PST)

2002 Subaru Impreza WRX AWD 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

Through the years I've put more and more power on this drivetrain. Now at a "Stage 4" by TurboXS standards, I'm putting down 270+ HP at the wheels and the car is awesome. Running at 83,000 miles on the ORIGINAL clutch with no slipping. All I've had to do is routine maintenance at this little car keeps going. I don't think I could ever fathom getting rid of my Scooby as I see it as a to be historic classic. If you don't have one, look no further than the Subaru WRX. You will not be disappointed.

Primo Sleeper
By DelmarRex on 01/01/05 21:31 PM (PST)

2002 Subaru Impreza WRX AWD 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

After 2-1/2 years, this car is still a blast to drive. Beats all other stock, street cars! I've been driving Subarus since 1980 for their 4/all wheel drive, reliability, good gas mileage, and all-around handling, and now I can have zip, too! I get 26 mpg highway and 20 to 21 mpg around town. Pretty good considering I drive the car hard. Keep the rpms above 3200 and nothing will catch you. No repairs, just normal maintenance. What a great car for relatively very little money.

Buy one!
By Jim K. on 10/21/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2002 Subaru Impreza WRX AWD 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

I bought this car new over 2 years ago, for an OK price. So far I have had no mechanical issues, no failures or anything abnormal. The car is great. It has some small quirks, at idle the heater doesn't work really well, the A/C compressor kicking in is a little harsh in traffic. The clutch will shudder when cold and most dealers will fix this under warranty. Fuel economy is less than stellar, there are some rattles that can be fixed, the window may squeak when rolling it down/up and the floor mats refuse to stay in place. The car is a blast to drive, great in all weather conditions and (if you can ignore the small problems) is an excellent car for its

very mod friendly
By malelee21 on 10/14/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2002 Subaru Impreza WRX AWD 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

$3000 will make stock WRX into a 300hp (230whp) beast. Turboback exhaust and engine management system will yield amazing 50-60whp gain (dyno proven). I have 300hp stage 2 WRX and it has similar trap speed as STi. I am quite happy with it and it has been rock solid. With added power, it has never failed to start up or give any problem.

Nice, safe car
By xlhguy on 09/27/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2002 Subaru Impreza Outback Sport AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

Bought this used when our Saturn gave out at 30,000 miles and would cost more to fix then it was worth. Anyway, after 8,000 miles,we like it as much as when we test drove it. Interior parts are a little cheap, but this is one solid car. In fact, Saab is rebadging them.

Awesome Car
By phoenyx2k on 09/10/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2002 Subaru Impreza WRX AWD 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

Extremely fun to drive car, excellent throttle response, OMG Cornering, needs a better premium sound system though... too much treble w/o enough bass.