Used 2002 Subaru Impreza Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2002 Subaru Impreza - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Impreza model:

Impreza 2.5RS
By JW

2002 Subaru Impreza 2.5 RS AWD 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

6 years, 82k miles and not a dime in it other than gas, oil and tires. Still gets over 30 mpg freeway, around town is a little low due to the AWD, upper teens/low 20's depending on how you drive. Getting 25 on the average tank. Reliable, punchy, AWD is amazing on the snow.

Favorite Features

All wheel drive

Suggested Improvements

Sunroof?

2002 WRX
By aaron

2002 Subaru Impreza WRX AWD 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

Pre-purchased WRX in April 01 site unseen, before they were first imported. Extremely happy with the car, fuel efficiency, power, and build quality. Over the last year, it has developed a couple of small rattles and the driver's window regulator needs replacing (has nearly 100k miles). Value is still over $10k 6 years later. Very satisfied with the car, the brand, and the type of vehicle.

Favorite Features

Turbo. AWD. MOMO steering wheel. MPG

Suggested Improvements

Cupholders, AC system a little weak, quite a bit of road noise in the interior. Sunroof (later models received this upgrade). Make boost gauge standard.

Just a 2.5RS... nothing special
By Just a girl w/2.5RS

2002 Subaru Impreza 2.5 RS AWD 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

I really do LOVE my car. It's fun to drive, it got me through my first real winter (snow, ice, slush) in a new place, and it's never had any problems due to regular wear and tear (regular maint. is done). Though not a WRX, acceleration is just fine for highway driving. I used to take my car through a very deserted canyon road with tight turns on the weekends and it begged for more.

Favorite Features

Handling: wet/dry, paved/dirt :-)

Suggested Improvements

Biggest complaint: TSB on the A/C. My A/C won't work due to a design flaw by Subaru and now they want $700 to fix it. Because of this, I may never buy another Subaru. Gas mileage stinks, stock tires are pretty bad (I got Pirelli M&S), interior is a little sparse, and the rear seats don't fold down.

Transmission Problems
By bigsuda

2002 Subaru Impreza WRX AWD 4dr Sport Wagon (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

I bought this car about six months ago with 47k miles on it. Pretty low for an '02. I was having problems with getting it into first gear and reverse so I took it in to the local dealership. They told me that there was a problem (I expected it to be the clutch), and was told that there is a problem with the synchronizers in the transmission! Seems a little low mileage, well maybe a lot low, to be having problems with a transmission. I haven't added any aftermarket parts and take care of all my cars! Might be a lemon, but seems to be a ridiculous deal. $1500+ bill just to get started. Oh, and the warranty just expired 4 months ago due to an '01 delivery date. Wonderful!

Favorite Features

Turbocharger, very economical vehicle, ability to handle any conditions including snow.

Suggested Improvements

Door speakers are really shallow so upgrading is impossible. Make it reliable, nobody should have to deal with transmission problems under 50k miles.

A great car for the price
By Subidrifter77

2002 Subaru Impreza 2.5 RS AWD 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

I purchased this car in later 2006. I have greatly enjoyed the experience. It corners good for a stock car. The AWD is awesome in the snow and I have loved drifting it! Dislikes: no light in the trunk, not a lot of room but good for the price. Likes: AWD is awesome, automatic shifts good on hills and in passing, the exhaust sounds great (not stock), comfortable on long drives, corners fairly well but needs larger sway bars, fantastic in the snow. It has only slid when I am laying into it. Great car so I can't complain much. Needs some performance stuff for more power so I am going to invest soon!

Favorite Features

AWD, exhaust sounds awesome when done, can put some performance stuff on it: cams, cold air, control module, cam gears, and plenty of exterior upgrades. Good throttle response, very great power! It's smooth, not just kicking in at high revs!

Suggested Improvements

My rear main leaks which I hear they do a lot. A light in the trunk would be HUGE! The cruise control not to delay when you set it on the highway. Other than that it is a great car for the price and a must have in the snow!