2002 Subaru Impreza - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Impreza model:
Never Buying Subaru AGAIN
By Brian on 03/18/06 19:11 PM (PST)

2002 Subaru Impreza 2.5 RS AWD 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

For the first three years car was great. Then at 60,000 miles the head gasket went. For the next 9 months in and out the shop for over heating problems. Then Subaru gave me a new engine block. Now at 90,000 miles transmission problems; needs 1st 2nd third and reverse gears replaced. $2300. In a manual. I never driven it hard -- I wanted it to last, but as you can see it's a piece of junk. I bought the car brand for their reputation. Once I get the car back I am selling it and buying a Toyota, Nissan or Mazda.

Great to drive, awful to repair
By Nick on 09/06/05 15:53 PM (PDT)

2002 Subaru Impreza WRX AWD 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

Well, I was very excited to buy this car a little over a year ago.The brakes went quickly, the paint chips way too easily. And it is VERY LOUD with the windows down, and if you smoke cigarettes in the car the ash comes back in and blows everywhere. But it's very fast and handles excellent, and it is amazingly predictable in the snow. The boxer motor is brilliant and the throttle response is unbelievable.Truly one of the fastest vehicles in that price range. But I will never buy another Subaru because of their transmissions. I've had to rebuild my transmission twice this MONTH ALONE! The input shaft (R,1st and 2nd) is cheaply made and I have pics of the gear completely munched under normal driving.

I love this car
By nmp on 08/07/05 23:02 PM (PDT)

2002 Subaru Impreza Outback Sport AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

I’ve had my Suby for nearly three years now, and I love it more and more all the time. It’s been awesome for me -- a small, sporty woman. It’s a perfect size -- not too big, but large enough to handle multiple pairs of skis, snowboards, mountain bikes, and friends. I’ve had a couple problems -- front brakes had issues after 18k, but the dealership replaced the rotors under warranty free of charge. Clock also quit -- also replaced under warranty.

2002 Subaru WRX Wagon
By Peter Frohman on 07/25/05 18:01 PM (PDT)

2002 Subaru Impreza WRX AWD 4dr Sport Wagon (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

Lots of fun, great handling, wonderful braking, plenty of power, wagon versatility, aggressive looks. A classic pocket rocket. Crummy gas mileage, premium gas, occasional turbo lag. Shift not as sweet as Honda/Acura, but AWD beats front-wheel drive every time. Great car for the price, but as soon as Honda makes something similar, I'm buying that.

A blast to drive!
By emonkeyman on 07/15/05 11:31 AM (PDT)

2002 Subaru Impreza WRX AWD 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

I have owned my '02 WRX for a little over a year now and it is still a blast to drive. It is my daily driver and is comfortable enough to fit the bill. The car never lets me down. If I need to merge, it merges, if I need to stop, it stops, if I need to blaze a dirt road at 60mph, well guess what, It does! I don't foresee parting with this vehicle, even when she turns 100k. I haven't noticed any loss in quality or driveability of my car at all. Well, things can't be all good, my only complaint is the gas mileage. I average about 18mpg, and having to use premium fuel 93 octane at $2.70 per gallon; it usually runs me about $40 to fill her up. But then again I didn't buy it for the fuel economy.

51,000 Miles and still smiling...
By Subaru Drew on 07/13/05 16:22 PM (PDT)

2002 Subaru Impreza WRX AWD 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

My biggest complaint about my 2 and a half year old WRX is that the front windows squeak when powering the windows down. It is annoying, but in two and a half years and 51,000 miles, that is my biggest complaint. I guess you could say that this car rocks! When I test drove this car I was replacing a '95 BMW 530i. That was a great car and its tread was tough to fill, especially with a car at a fraction of the cost. My expectations were not all that high, but my brother-in-law had just bought an WRX and convinced me to try it. That was all it took. This ride has grin factor! It does lack some refinements found in other cars, but it makes up for it in the drivers seat. Try it, you'll like it.

What an Upgrade
By Les on 05/25/05 10:33 AM (PDT)

2002 Subaru Impreza WRX AWD 4dr Sport Wagon (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

i just bought a used 2002 WRX wagon. WHAT A RIDE! got a sweet deal on it. At first I was considering the Mazda3 but I was big on performance. What an upgrade compared to my slow 1994 Honda accord. My commute is so much fun now! Driving in the rain is not a problem with the AWD...so far so good. Filling my tank up with premium gas will hit the wallet hard, but the good outweighs the bad.

The best compact sport sedan ever?
By Jeff Dulude on 04/27/05 13:50 PM (PDT)

2002 Subaru Impreza Outback Sport AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

The only problem I have had with this car was the check engine light came on once. Upon contacting the dealer, they were aware of the problem and remedied it overnight and provided a loaner car. I have done the rear brakes at 66,000 miles and have done regular service and oil changes. The car is fun to drive and has power to spare. The stock tires are sufficient in the snow but I feel a snow tire would perform better. I love this car.

lemon
By rmo on 04/26/05 00:41 AM (PDT)

2002 Subaru Impreza Outback Sport AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

Redid the motor (cylinder slap), rear suspension, along with O2 sensor and to top it off the radio craps out. Wheel wells easily pack with snow and the tires go out of balance with a little dust.

Fun to drive, not fun to maintain
By Dave on 04/11/05 14:21 PM (PDT)

2002 Subaru Impreza Outback Sport AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

The car is fun drive in the worst of weather. Handling and acceleration are good with the 5 speed manual. Its been a good car for ski trips and mountain bike weekends.