Used 2002 Subaru Impreza Sedan Consumer Reviews - 183 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2002 Subaru Impreza Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Impreza model:

Just a 2.5RS... nothing special
By Just a girl w/2.5RS

2002 Subaru Impreza Sedan 2.5 RS AWD 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

I really do LOVE my car. It's fun to drive, it got me through my first real winter (snow, ice, slush) in a new place, and it's never had any problems due to regular wear and tear (regular maint. is done). Though not a WRX, acceleration is just fine for highway driving. I used to take my car through a very deserted canyon road with tight turns on the weekends and it begged for more.

Handling: wet/dry, paved/dirt :-)

Biggest complaint: TSB on the A/C. My A/C won't work due to a design flaw by Subaru and now they want $700 to fix it. Because of this, I may never buy another Subaru. Gas mileage stinks, stock tires are pretty bad (I got Pirelli M&S), interior is a little sparse, and the rear seats don't fold down.

A great car for the price
By Subidrifter77

2002 Subaru Impreza Sedan 2.5 RS AWD 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

I purchased this car in later 2006. I have greatly enjoyed the experience. It corners good for a stock car. The AWD is awesome in the snow and I have loved drifting it! Dislikes: no light in the trunk, not a lot of room but good for the price. Likes: AWD is awesome, automatic shifts good on hills and in passing, the exhaust sounds great (not stock), comfortable on long drives, corners fairly well but needs larger sway bars, fantastic in the snow. It has only slid when I am laying into it. Great car so I can't complain much. Needs some performance stuff for more power so I am going to invest soon!

AWD, exhaust sounds awesome when done, can put some performance stuff on it: cams, cold air, control module, cam gears, and plenty of exterior upgrades. Good throttle response, very great power! It's smooth, not just kicking in at high revs!

My rear main leaks which I hear they do a lot. A light in the trunk would be HUGE! The cruise control not to delay when you set it on the highway. Other than that it is a great car for the price and a must have in the snow!

Great Car!
By fast4

2002 Subaru Impreza Sedan WRX AWD 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

Bought this car used with 18K miles on it. The only mechanical fault that I ever experienced was a "Clutch Shudder" problem that was fixed under warranty at 20K miles. The ride is solid, responsive and communicative.

TURBO and All Wheel Drive! After market support is great. Online support is great.

None.

reliable, trouble free car
By eric

2002 Subaru Impreza Sedan WRX AWD 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

It is a generally a well made car. I performed most of the fluid/filter change maintenance myself. The stock battery is too tiny, with the tiny alternator so got to watch out if you don't drive the car often or has a low mileage local commute. Cold start clutch shuddering is a well known "feature", and a hard to get in reverse gear. I have been stuck in city street trying to make u-turn because could not get in reverse. At 34k miles now the car desperately need the brake fluid change and a tune up. The really bad thing is the resale value comparably low but the car is a really good car, very reliable. Paint chips very easily. 3k miles synthetic oil change can be very troublesome and expensive, but is a must.

Reliability, mod-friendly, safe.

Back in 02 only a handful of mechanics know how to work on these cars, very easy to ruin if not properly modded. 5k instead of 3k miles change, fix the turbo lag, better brake feel. Smaller steering wheel, better turning ratio. Consider wide body on the wagon model. And better trade in value.

Love These Cars
By dozer54321

2002 Subaru Impreza Sedan WRX AWD 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

I've liked Subarus (all of them) since I worked at a Subaru dealership. I bought mine after I left the dealership because none of my other vehicles could meet the performance. They handle better than any other car I've been in, and although the ATi and Evo are faster, for the price and ease of the mods it is a good deal. Reliability is that of a Toyota and the performance of a sports car.

Symmetrical AWD, 6CD in dash stereo, underseat subwoofer, ease and cost of modding, roomy enough to where I don't need to sit all the way back; I have to be a couple clicks up in the seat - I'm 300lbs 6'.

Don't use Bridgestone tires :D