Used 2002 Subaru Impreza Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2002 Subaru Impreza - Consumer Reviews

2002 Subaru Impreza Sedan

View reviews for a specific Impreza model:

Great Car!
By fast4

2002 Subaru Impreza Sedan WRX AWD 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

Bought this car used with 18K miles on it. The only mechanical fault that I ever experienced was a "Clutch Shudder" problem that was fixed under warranty at 20K miles. The ride is solid, responsive and communicative.

Favorite Features

TURBO and All Wheel Drive! After market support is great. Online support is great.

Suggested Improvements

None.

reliable, trouble free car
By eric

2002 Subaru Impreza Sedan WRX AWD 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

It is a generally a well made car. I performed most of the fluid/filter change maintenance myself. The stock battery is too tiny, with the tiny alternator so got to watch out if you don't drive the car often or has a low mileage local commute. Cold start clutch shuddering is a well known "feature", and a hard to get in reverse gear. I have been stuck in city street trying to make u-turn because could not get in reverse. At 34k miles now the car desperately need the brake fluid change and a tune up. The really bad thing is the resale value comparably low but the car is a really good car, very reliable. Paint chips very easily. 3k miles synthetic oil change can be very troublesome and expensive, but is a must.

Favorite Features

Reliability, mod-friendly, safe.

Suggested Improvements

Back in 02 only a handful of mechanics know how to work on these cars, very easy to ruin if not properly modded. 5k instead of 3k miles change, fix the turbo lag, better brake feel. Smaller steering wheel, better turning ratio. Consider wide body on the wagon model. And better trade in value.

Love These Cars
By dozer54321

2002 Subaru Impreza Sedan WRX AWD 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

I've liked Subarus (all of them) since I worked at a Subaru dealership. I bought mine after I left the dealership because none of my other vehicles could meet the performance. They handle better than any other car I've been in, and although the ATi and Evo are faster, for the price and ease of the mods it is a good deal. Reliability is that of a Toyota and the performance of a sports car.

Favorite Features

Symmetrical AWD, 6CD in dash stereo, underseat subwoofer, ease and cost of modding, roomy enough to where I don't need to sit all the way back; I have to be a couple clicks up in the seat - I'm 300lbs 6'.

Suggested Improvements

Don't use Bridgestone tires :D

I love my Scubie!
By finsprings

2002 Subaru Impreza Sedan WRX AWD 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

I've had my WRX for coming on 4 years now. My buddy had one of the old style ones back in Britain, before they were available in the US. As soon as they came out here I got one and I've loved it ever since. You just can't get more performance, handling and fun for your money.

Favorite Features

Engine, handling, 4WD.

My Fiance Forbid Me To Sell This Car
By Russell Newquist

2002 Subaru Impreza Sedan WRX AWD 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

Seriously. When I was having money issues and seriously strapped for cash, she wouldn't let me sell it - because she knew how much I LOVE this car! I seriously don't think I ever will, even when I eventually replace it with another car. This little machine is destined for classic status, just like the '60s era Mustangs, Corvettes, and Camaros. There are definite issues with this car (like with any car). The paint is pretty thin and chips too easily, and the interior is nice, but definitely not luxury. Gas mileage is mediocre (although pretty good for a car with this kind of performance). But when you get right down to it, this car is simply a blast to drive.

Favorite Features

Power, handling, attitude - and all wheel drive. Plus, this car will take anything you throw at it and ask you for more. Rough roads, tight turns, bad weather? NO problem! It'll get you where you want to go, and it'll get you there fast.

Suggested Improvements

Thicker paint, folding back seats. Clutch is a little odd to get used to. Other than that, why fix what ain't broke?