Used 2002 Subaru Impreza WRX Wagon Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2002 Subaru Impreza - Consumer Reviews

2002 Subaru Impreza Wagon

View reviews for a specific Impreza model:

My car Spike
By Albert Long

2002 Subaru Impreza Wagon WRX AWD 4dr Sport Wagon (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

I bought my WRX in April of 2001 which was the first year they were produced. When I first saw it, I thought that from the front it looked like a bulldog and since every bulldog I have ever known was named spike I named my WRX "Spike" and it immeditatly became a member of the family. After three years and 35000 miles it has never let me down. In that time it has developed only one minor problem: a slight gasoline leak that was quickly taken care of. I know that when it comes time to trade Spike, that it's going to be like having to put down your pet.

Favorite Features

The turbo. Even though I don't make a habit of hotroding it, it's comfortable knowing that if I wanted to, I could and to see the look on their face when a gray-headed 67 year old man blows their doors off.

Suggested Improvements

I can't see where they could improve the car. The only suggestion I could come up with is that although the service is very accommodating, It's just so darn expensive.

Best
By steel143

2002 Subaru Impreza Wagon WRX AWD 4dr Sport Wagon (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

What i like best is the performance

Favorite Features

The horse power

Suggested Improvements

There is no improvements needed

After 30,000 Miles...
By keithlb1

2002 Subaru Impreza Wagon WRX AWD 4dr Sport Wagon (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

I still love driving this car, and I can't wait to drive it to work. I did install aftermarket speakers and XM radio. The car still needs a nice tint of the windows, and I bought some nice Michelins to replace the stock Potenzas. Reliability is fine. I have only had to replace a set of brake shoes. Car handles very well, but does need a little tweaking in extreme cornering. But what car that costs under 25000 dollars corners like a Subie WRX? Not many! All is well with the sport wagon WRX I even like the first design better than the new design, seems to have more personality than the refinesd version out now.

Favorite Features

AWD, turbo charged bliss, nice Momo steering wheel, nice sporty seats, scoop on top like a retro funny car, I know many people rather have the air forced in from the bottom like the EVO, but I like the functional scoop at the top, personality of the car shines through.

Suggested Improvements

Low end acceleration before 3000 rpms Less understeer on hard corners, higher quality fog lights and headlamps.

I love my WRX.
By mjzaun

2002 Subaru Impreza Wagon WRX AWD 4dr Sport Wagon (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

This car is a fun car to drive. It is fast and has great handling. The gas mileage is poor, but I can deal with it. With the wagon, you not only get speed, but you also get a ton of storage space. I love this car so much, but be warned. My husband recently found out that there is a glitch in the transmission in the 2002 models that makes it go bad around 50K miles. I think the info is in Consumer Reports. Sorry for the bad news, but otherwise, for now my car is great.

Favorite Features

Lots of space and speed to boot. I do love my car.

Suggested Improvements

Make the added options a little cheaper. Maybe make a lighter interior color. The best thing would be to give owners of the 2002 WRX models a discount when we need to get our transmissions replaced.

The Danks!
By Fedgar420

2002 Subaru Impreza Wagon WRX AWD 4dr Sport Wagon (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

The car is a joy to drive. The handling is incomparable to anything else in it's class, or even on the road (especially for the dollar). When driving it hard, though, the gas mileage isn't much to jump up-and-down about. Other than that, it's a great car for the MONEY!

Favorite Features

AWD, Turbo, 4 cyl.

Suggested Improvements

Needs big improvement on Stereo System (sound volume and quality), more power, maybe a 6-speed