Used 2002 Subaru Impreza Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2002 Subaru Impreza - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Impreza model:

WRX Crazy!
By ofixit

2002 Subaru Impreza WRX AWD 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

I have just purchased my WRX, due to moving to CA and having my '00 Civic Si stolen. You barely hit the gas and you're gone, I was so used to whining up my civic to 7-8k rpm's to get good power. I am super satisfied with the car, I thought I would be a loyal Honda owner forever, but subaru has taken its place. Broke the car in for 1000 miles, then took it out on the racetrack for the weekend, love the way no power is wasted with the AWD.

Favorite Features

Versatility of a 4-door, yet performance of a 2-door.

Suggested Improvements

Car should include painted side-under spoiler, and better looking wheels standard. Would prefer to use less expensive regular unleaded instead of premium.

1yr later and I'd buy it again
By Rocko

2002 Subaru Impreza WRX AWD 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

Thought I'd throw in my 2cents after owning this car for a full year. Bought new in Feb 02 and is honestly some of the best money I've ever spent. Great acceleration, nice compromise of handling and comfort, and ohh, the Momo steering wheel. Seriously, this has to be one of the most meatiest factory steering wheels in any vehicle. I own a 5 speed and could live without the clutch shudder, which is my biggest gripe. But at the end of the day, if it were ever stolen or totalled, I would be rushing out to buy another.

Favorite Features

AWD, Turbo Motor, Momo wheel.

Suggested Improvements

This car needs a clutch recall. If you follow any internet threads of owners that have had a 5speed for 10-20K, some even less, you will find that most have a cronic clutch shudder (skipping/slipping) when the car is cold/sitting for serveral hours.

Very fun...
By drelord

2002 Subaru Impreza WRX AWD 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

you can have my wrx when you pry it from my cold dead hands... That's how I have felt since the day after the break in period. Oh, yea and the clutch went out at 8500 miles but the dealership warranteed it.

Favorite Features

Fun to drive, AWD, short throw shifter from the dealership. 6 disc in dash cd changer.

Suggested Improvements

the cupholder in the dash hangs directly in front of and over the stereo making it easy to spill things onto and into the radio as well as making the radio difficult to operate while a beverage is there.

This 2002 Subaru was a LEMON
By Golem

2002 Subaru Impreza TS AWD 4dr Sport Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

Problems from the start. Poor paint quality (orange peel and easily scratches), inadequate electrical system which couldn't keep battery charged if a few electrical loads were on, consistently hesitated at 2,000 RPM. Dealership was fantastic but Subaru head office resisted doing anything. In the end, received a refund. Now driving a 2003 model which drives well but paint is still poor quality, Windshield wiper blades freeze, inadequate heating system, poor design of rear window washer spray head, steering wheel not aligned parallel when driving straight.

Favorite Features

The all wheel drive seems to enable the car to hold the road better than front wheel drive. I like the wagon aspect.

Suggested Improvements

Better: windshield wipers; heating system (especially for rear of sportwagon); tires; paint and painting. Every aspect of Subaru's customer service in Canada is very poor before and after purchase and needs serious improvement.

The Best in Snow
By Dragan

2002 Subaru Impreza WRX AWD 4dr Sport Wagon (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

I recently purchased this car and had an opportunity to drive it in fresh snow the same day. I could not beleive how easy and at the same time fun was to drive this incredible machine. It is so nice to push it in the controlled slide, press the accelerator and enjoy... the most fun to drive car I ever had.

Favorite Features

All wheel drive system, great engine, superb handling

Suggested Improvements

Sequential shift, better headlights (xenon)