Used 2002 Subaru Impreza Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2002 Subaru Impreza - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Impreza model:

Real world performance
By silky

2002 Subaru Impreza WRX AWD 4dr Sport Wagon (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

This is not the fastest car I've owned, but it certainly does most things well. Build quality is excellent, my only problem in 10,000 miles was a cracked windshield. Gas mileage is ok at an average of 24mpg mixed city/highway. The ride is firm but supple and this car swallows up potholes and ridges with aplomb, unlike most sports cars I've owned. Grip is limited with stock tires but still outcorners most other cars, in the wet, it's superb!

Steering wheel. Versatility of wagon. Boxer sound of engine. Supple suspension. Short throw shifter. Acceleration.

Deceleration noise from trans. 16" wheels look too small in the large fenderwells. Turbo lag is prominent at below 2500 rpm.

my wrx
By robbie wood

2002 Subaru Impreza WRX AWD 4dr Sport Wagon (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

This car makes me want to drive. I have owned several sports cars in the past, but this wagon has the best overall feel.

Can't pick, I like them all.

No need, Subaru is ahead of the game. They did almost everything that I would suggest with the new STI.

What a pleasant 1st month,,,
By Wastate driver

2002 Subaru Impreza WRX AWD 4dr Sport Wagon (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

I have had two other turbo 4cyl cars over the years and this one appealed to me. The looks are kinda cool and performance is stellar for a car of it's size. I ended up with the stereo upgrade by accident and do not regret it, although it is slow to switch between discs it has very good quality sound. It is a little tight getting into for a 6'2", 245 pound guy, but seating position and interior room are fine. I felt that the smallish front doors were a little price to pay for the total package. The wagon is about 100 dollars a year more to insure than a Ford Focus, not bad for 100 more horses and lots more car overall.

Pleasant exhaust note, nice seats and room to drop my gear in the back without having to dig heavy boxes or bags out of a trunk. Plenty of zip without attracting the attention of traffic cops or teenagers.

Bigger front doors and more factory insturmentation. This car really needs a boost and oil pressure gauge. ANY dealer installed equipment was at rip- off prices locally.

2003 Subaru Impreza WRX Review
By wrxdriver2003

2002 Subaru Impreza WRX AWD 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

This car is so fast and hadles just as good as any supercar out there especially in the rain. This car deserves all the great remarks and hype it gets. I have only had mine for two months and I love it.

The power is obviously the favorite about the WRX along with the rally type body style. Everything goes together with this car

I don't feel that this car needs any improvements. You definately get what you pay for.

WRX Rules
By bakaivar

2002 Subaru Impreza WRX AWD 4dr Sport Wagon (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

Excellent performance while going through the bends on the mountain roads near Yosemite. Can't really enjoy the performance on regular roads - too much slow moving traffic! Cool to turn 90 degree corners while driving at 45mph :)

My favorite time is when the revs are between 3000 and 6500. Front seats hold you well. Handling on any/every bend.

Low rev torque (supermarket trolleys can outrun me from the lights if I don't keep the revs up). Need blister front guards on the wagon. Smoother suspension on freeways (but not at the cost of handling bends).