2002 Subaru Impreza Wagon - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Impreza model:
Fantastic Ride
By RedRocketWRX on 03/31/05 21:18 PM (PST)

2002 Subaru Impreza Wagon WRX AWD 4dr Sport Wagon (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

The WRX is extremely mod-friendly and a little goes a long way. Something as simple as redoing the air intake helps turbo spool-up and smooths out acceleration over the whole power band. I am very impressed with its performance across the board....acceleration, handling, and response are excellent. Front seats are well-bolstered and comfortable. Plenty of cargo room with the rear seats down. AWD is fantastic in the snow. Small annoyances -- lack of useful cupholders (but this is not a car for sippin' lattes while you drive!); low-end torque (fixable with mods); and clutch chatter (a known problem); 1st gear synchronizer seems to be "fragile". I think I'm spoiled.

Fast and Fun Hauler
By Wrxalot on 03/17/05 17:02 PM (PST)

2002 Subaru Impreza Wagon WRX AWD 4dr Sport Wagon (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

I bought my WRX Wagon for its rally bred performance. Since then I had a kid and it has turned into a family wagon but when my son isn't in the car its a sports car again. I can haul lots of stuff and have used it to move twice. I had a lease but just decided to buy out the lease and keep it. After all it is still a Subaru. Feels like it will last forever.

Jekyll and Hyde
By Eric on 03/13/05 21:52 PM (PST)

2002 Subaru Impreza Wagon WRX AWD 4dr Sport Wagon (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

If you live in places with twisty roads, bad weather and few stop signs, this is probably the best car for the money. That said, if most of your driving is done in stop-and go city conditions, look elsewhere. The WRX has only two modes: it's a dog below 3000 RPM, and a rocket above it. The shifter also won't downshift from 2nd to 1st unless the car is at a dead stop. City driving is downright annoying.

the everything car
By raja on 07/04/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2002 Subaru Impreza Wagon WRX AWD 4dr Sport Wagon (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

I researched car extensively before buying, and was the only thing in it's class for the money. best deal for the money out there,I've had many fast cars and built many more, this will beat most off the line.

2002 WRX Wagon
By The Dream on 06/01/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2002 Subaru Impreza Wagon WRX AWD 4dr Sport Wagon (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

VERY fun to drive. Disappointed that the wagon doesn't have the same curves / lines on the body as the sedan. ABS too sensitive. Downshifting usually helps... ABS sucks if you're trying to eat an ice cream cone or something though - really is too sensitive - esp. on bumpy roads. Love the car though.. I guess the one thing I would change (and I've been putting it off) is the ABS. Still haven't found affordable fog light covers either.

My car Spike
By Albert Long on 04/10/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2002 Subaru Impreza Wagon WRX AWD 4dr Sport Wagon (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

I bought my WRX in April of 2001 which was the first year they were produced. When I first saw it, I thought that from the front it looked like a bulldog and since every bulldog I have ever known was named spike I named my WRX "Spike" and it immeditatly became a member of the family. After three years and 35000 miles it has never let me down. In that time it has developed only one minor problem: a slight gasoline leak that was quickly taken care of. I know that when it comes time to trade Spike, that it's going to be like having to put down your pet.

Best
By steel143 on 03/08/04 00:00 AM (PST)

2002 Subaru Impreza Wagon WRX AWD 4dr Sport Wagon (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

What i like best is the performance

After 30,000 Miles...
By keithlb1 on 03/01/04 00:00 AM (PST)

2002 Subaru Impreza Wagon WRX AWD 4dr Sport Wagon (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

I still love driving this car, and I can't wait to drive it to work. I did install aftermarket speakers and XM radio. The car still needs a nice tint of the windows, and I bought some nice Michelins to replace the stock Potenzas. Reliability is fine. I have only had to replace a set of brake shoes. Car handles very well, but does need a little tweaking in extreme cornering. But what car that costs under 25000 dollars corners like a Subie WRX? Not many! All is well with the sport wagon WRX I even like the first design better than the new design, seems to have more personality than the refinesd version out now.

I love my WRX.
By mjzaun on 02/14/04 00:00 AM (PST)

2002 Subaru Impreza Wagon WRX AWD 4dr Sport Wagon (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

This car is a fun car to drive. It is fast and has great handling. The gas mileage is poor, but I can deal with it. With the wagon, you not only get speed, but you also get a ton of storage space. I love this car so much, but be warned. My husband recently found out that there is a glitch in the transmission in the 2002 models that makes it go bad around 50K miles. I think the info is in Consumer Reports. Sorry for the bad news, but otherwise, for now my car is great.

The Danks!
By Fedgar420 on 12/01/03 00:00 AM (PST)

2002 Subaru Impreza Wagon WRX AWD 4dr Sport Wagon (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

The car is a joy to drive. The handling is incomparable to anything else in it's class, or even on the road (especially for the dollar). When driving it hard, though, the gas mileage isn't much to jump up-and-down about. Other than that, it's a great car for the MONEY!