Used 2002 Subaru Impreza Outback Sport Wagon Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2002 Subaru Impreza Wagon - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Impreza model:

First of many
By 128OBS

2002 Subaru Impreza Wagon Outback Sport AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

What initially interested me in Subaru was the reputation for handling and safety. My first test drive sold me and now I donít want to drive anything else. The flat 4 engine and the all wheel drive make it a unique vehicle. I especially appreciate how it handles in the rain. I have not experienced any problems. All I have done is regular maintenance. I plan to keep this car. I may buy a second Subaru, but Iím keeping this one.

The handling, the flat 4 engine and the cargo mat.

The stock tires, not impressed. They were replaced/upgraded around 24,000 miles.

Nice, functional little car
By xraymike11

2002 Subaru Impreza Wagon Outback Sport AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

My wife and I bought this car new, and we've been satisfied with the purchase. We perform routine maintenance, and the car has been quite reliable. After two spinout accidents on black ice, the car still feels extremely solid. I would recommend upgrading to winter tires. The manual transmissions takes some getting used to, but is a pleasure to drive once you master it. The engine isn't necessarily quick, but is adequate for normal driving. Inside, the front seats are comfortable and have great lateral support. Controls are logical and easy to reach. Back seats have enough room to fit adults. We average 26 mpg in normal driving. Maintains great resale value.

Functional capabilities of the hatch and built-in roof rack (works quite well with a Thule bike rack), AWD, reliability.

A/C seems to get overwhelmed some days, requiring you to turn it off for a few minutes.

I love this car
By nmp

2002 Subaru Impreza Wagon Outback Sport AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

Iíve had my Suby for nearly three years now, and I love it more and more all the time. Itís been awesome for me -- a small, sporty woman. Itís a perfect size -- not too big, but large enough to handle multiple pairs of skis, snowboards, mountain bikes, and friends. Iíve had a couple problems -- front brakes had issues after 18k, but the dealership replaced the rotors under warranty free of charge. Clock also quit -- also replaced under warranty.

Handling. Super fun to drive, decent gas mileage for an AWD, size, convenience. Iím proud to be a Subaru owner.

The car needs a larger first gear...and better speakers. Otherwise, I just love it!

The best compact sport sedan ever?
By Jeff Dulude

2002 Subaru Impreza Wagon Outback Sport AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

The only problem I have had with this car was the check engine light came on once. Upon contacting the dealer, they were aware of the problem and remedied it overnight and provided a loaner car. I have done the rear brakes at 66,000 miles and have done regular service and oil changes. The car is fun to drive and has power to spare. The stock tires are sufficient in the snow but I feel a snow tire would perform better. I love this car.

The performance. I get to have my sports car and a family sedan at the same time. It is even good in the snow. Frankly, I love the bug eye headlights.

A rear seat cupholder.

lemon
By rmo

2002 Subaru Impreza Wagon Outback Sport AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

Redid the motor (cylinder slap), rear suspension, along with O2 sensor and to top it off the radio craps out. Wheel wells easily pack with snow and the tires go out of balance with a little dust.

AWD.