Used 2002 Subaru Impreza 2.5 RS Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2002 Subaru Impreza - Consumer Reviews

2002 Subaru Impreza Sedan

View reviews for a specific Impreza model:

Most Helpful|
The not- so-great car
By Lilmizme87

2002 Subaru Impreza Sedan 2.5 RS AWD 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

I bought this car used, maybe that was the first mistake. The second week I had it, something was wrong with the transimission. Two months later something was wrong with the engine. A month later, the same problem came back because the dealership didn't fix it the first time. Now, the transmission needs to be fix, again. I take very good care of this car, yet it falls apart easily. I don't race it (cause I'd lose) and I don't floor it every time I drive. It should not be falling apart so much. I would not recommend this car considering you'll be looking for alternative transportation since it'll be in the shop every other week.

Favorite Features

The exterior is awesome. People are always interested in it until they realize it isn't turbo.

Suggested Improvements

Don't buy it.

Will buy another one!!!
By Will buy another one

2002 Subaru Impreza Sedan 2.5 RS AWD 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

I've driven this car in Michigan in all conditions and it won't quit. Had it packed to the ceiling with camping stuff, band equipment etc, it all fits! What a great car in the winter. I previously owned a Wrangler, and believe it or not, the Subaru is miles ahead in the winter. The only time I got stuck was when the plow covered it with 5 feet of snow. Mechanical problems: Replaced all brakes, a couple headlight bulbs, and wheel bearings in rear. This was a pain only because the shop did not know what the car was... do we order impreza or outback parts? I couldn't answer this for them. I believe the impreza parts worked, but not 100% on that. Overall great car, just wish I had a turbo!

Favorite Features

Winter handling, fog lights are nice, visibility, storage space, and mostly driving past stuck cars and trucks in the winter.

Suggested Improvements

Seat comfort. I just cant seem to get comfortable on long trips. Squeaky seatbelt. Cup holder placement. That's about it.

OK car, not great but good
By JTP

2002 Subaru Impreza Sedan 2.5 RS AWD 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

I typically put around 225,000 on my cars before I let them go. Some limp in (escort), make it like champs (prelude), this one is somewhere in between. Not many problems, but the ones I had were odd. Catalytic converter at 50 K mi, head gasket at 150 K, oil pump shortly thereafter. Windshield keeps breaking, seemingly by itself. Fog lamps are expensive and break a lot. I gave up and drive with them broken. I like this car and would consider another one because it is a kick to drive. But our legacy outback is a much, much better car. Edmunds says it gets 21, but I typically get 26, a little less with city alone. 28 if I am gentle.

Favorite Features

All wheel drive is really worth it in Michigan. Good handling, good gas mileage.

Suggested Improvements

The wheels seem to have a wide pan. Mud gets in them and sticks, throwing the wheels out of balance. Fog lamps are a waste, but they have changed those to smaller profile, that may do it.

Impreza 2.5RS
By JW

2002 Subaru Impreza Sedan 2.5 RS AWD 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

6 years, 82k miles and not a dime in it other than gas, oil and tires. Still gets over 30 mpg freeway, around town is a little low due to the AWD, upper teens/low 20's depending on how you drive. Getting 25 on the average tank. Reliable, punchy, AWD is amazing on the snow.

Favorite Features

All wheel drive

Suggested Improvements

Sunroof?

Just a 2.5RS... nothing special
By Just a girl w/2.5RS

2002 Subaru Impreza Sedan 2.5 RS AWD 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

I really do LOVE my car. It's fun to drive, it got me through my first real winter (snow, ice, slush) in a new place, and it's never had any problems due to regular wear and tear (regular maint. is done). Though not a WRX, acceleration is just fine for highway driving. I used to take my car through a very deserted canyon road with tight turns on the weekends and it begged for more.

Favorite Features

Handling: wet/dry, paved/dirt :-)

Suggested Improvements

Biggest complaint: TSB on the A/C. My A/C won't work due to a design flaw by Subaru and now they want $700 to fix it. Because of this, I may never buy another Subaru. Gas mileage stinks, stock tires are pretty bad (I got Pirelli M&S), interior is a little sparse, and the rear seats don't fold down.