2 head gaskets at 20k
By dsomeda on
2002 Subaru Impreza Outback Sport AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 4A)
At 2 yrs old developed small oil drops leaks 20k miles. At 3yrs started to drip coolant on driveway and oil drops. Dealer would not cover this fix because Subaru claimed only the Forester has bad gaskets but they asked me for my VIN any way. They gave me a bottle of head gasket sealer for 2$ and told me they were going to charge me $3500 for new gasket replacement. The very fact that the dealer even stocked(sealant) and basically gave it to me indicated that they have a widespread problem. It did not work. Used Bars Stop Leak instead. 2014 75k add coolant twice a week and code (Knock) triggered prob due to worn bearings from water in oil.
Favorite Features
Small size and good cargo capacity
Suggested Improvements
Bad fuel economy. For Weight and power ave 20mi in city , 27Hwy. Terrible for 4 cyl. My six cylinder 3.8 l 3500lb boxy 87 automatic Buick Grand National gets 34 by camparison. Got stuck in snow high centered because of 2 open diffs does not power wheel side w traction. I assume the new symetrical drive takes care of this now. Make 4 wheel drive defeatable so better fuel economy w fw drive like a jeep patriot.