Used 2002 Subaru Impreza Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2002 Subaru Impreza - Consumer Reviews

2002 Subaru Impreza Sedan

View reviews for a specific Impreza model:

WRX Crazy!
By ofixit

2002 Subaru Impreza Sedan WRX AWD 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

I have just purchased my WRX, due to moving to CA and having my '00 Civic Si stolen. You barely hit the gas and you're gone, I was so used to whining up my civic to 7-8k rpm's to get good power. I am super satisfied with the car, I thought I would be a loyal Honda owner forever, but subaru has taken its place. Broke the car in for 1000 miles, then took it out on the racetrack for the weekend, love the way no power is wasted with the AWD.

Favorite Features

Versatility of a 4-door, yet performance of a 2-door.

Suggested Improvements

Car should include painted side-under spoiler, and better looking wheels standard. Would prefer to use less expensive regular unleaded instead of premium.

1yr later and I'd buy it again
By Rocko

2002 Subaru Impreza Sedan WRX AWD 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

Thought I'd throw in my 2cents after owning this car for a full year. Bought new in Feb 02 and is honestly some of the best money I've ever spent. Great acceleration, nice compromise of handling and comfort, and ohh, the Momo steering wheel. Seriously, this has to be one of the most meatiest factory steering wheels in any vehicle. I own a 5 speed and could live without the clutch shudder, which is my biggest gripe. But at the end of the day, if it were ever stolen or totalled, I would be rushing out to buy another.

Favorite Features

AWD, Turbo Motor, Momo wheel.

Suggested Improvements

This car needs a clutch recall. If you follow any internet threads of owners that have had a 5speed for 10-20K, some even less, you will find that most have a cronic clutch shudder (skipping/slipping) when the car is cold/sitting for serveral hours.

Very fun...
By drelord

2002 Subaru Impreza Sedan WRX AWD 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

you can have my wrx when you pry it from my cold dead hands... That's how I have felt since the day after the break in period. Oh, yea and the clutch went out at 8500 miles but the dealership warranteed it.

Favorite Features

Fun to drive, AWD, short throw shifter from the dealership. 6 disc in dash cd changer.

Suggested Improvements

the cupholder in the dash hangs directly in front of and over the stereo making it easy to spill things onto and into the radio as well as making the radio difficult to operate while a beverage is there.

Not bad for the money
By rlim6

2002 Subaru Impreza Sedan WRX AWD 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

Very nice sport sedan for the money...best in practicality and performance...for the money. With 40,000 miles on the car now...only had problems with driver side power widow (fixed) under warranty. Car still feels new and solid. Paid list for the car...no regrets... I still love driving it and feel good after driving it.

Favorite Features

Turbo engine, AWD, Seats, in-dash 6 cd changer

Suggested Improvements

brakes (soft pedal and average stopping distance), suspension (jittery of rough surface, slightly too much roll and understeer), low end torque, rims and tires (ugly rims and sub-par tires).

I love my WRX
By wrxmom

2002 Subaru Impreza Sedan WRX AWD 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

I love my WRX! It's fun to drive, easy to handle, and very reliable. As a mom, I needed a 4-door, but I was not going to sell a Porsche for a Camry. The suspension is stiff, the turning is tight.

Favorite Features

My favorite feature is its safety features and safety record. It's great to know that in the event of an accident, they have side impact airbags as well as driver and passenger.

Suggested Improvements

It still feels like an econo-box type car, but what do you expect with 227 hp for that price?!